the first shot was to scare off the other deer that it was with so i could concentrate on my buck. the second shot hit him low in the shoulder, catching the lung. then after that i kept shooting because he wasnt down or dead yet. i think u shoot until the deer is down, no matter what. then when he did lay down, i put the last one im him so to make it quicker. and, all the shots from my 270 wsm hit him in the same spot basically. they were all in the low shoulder in the lungs. i didnt ruin any meat but the 2 front shoulders! i got more from him then from my dads.

Casey

Jus funnin with ya... :D

I guess your shots were all "on a rope", drilling in the same spot. That is one way to save more meat! And yes, I would keep shooting too unless he was down or VERY hard hit and going down for SURE.

I've Chased several across the hillsides and through brush follerin blood trails for WAY too long to let it happen again!

Thanks for playin along. :D

christian, imagine the smallest whitetail spike you have ever seen..... then make those spikes about half what they were then ya got him!

thanks everyone. it was fun and, all though i will NEVER shoot a spike again. i am glad i took him, i think he will make all the other heads on my wall look bigger lol! this is the 1st time dad and i have ever tagged out on deer together.

ya, i am way surprised at how many shots it took me. i expected him to drop on the first one i think i hit high :D :D :blink:

i know then i did hit him, he would have died from the shot but i do not like to track them, especially when it can be stopped and they are standing there waiting for another round to be put in them.

i cranked out the amount of shots i did rather quick too, especially since my rifle only holds 3!

I found a button buck this last weekend each spike was only about 2 inches long. Still man a deer is a deer. Congrats

Yea A deer is a deer, when it comes onto the DINNER table, not to mention those youngins are the best eating in the world! CONGRATS ON THE KILL!