Sign in to follow this  
az.antlerenthusiast

A couple of shed hunts

Here are some pictures from my last couple of antler hunts.

I found this shed when I was on a coues hunt with some friends. We split up for awhile which gave me some time to dink around and shed hunt for a little while. Any time you can find a 7x its always a good bonus.

post-3284-1290389170_thumb.jpg

In persuit of a much larger buck we seen(115+), this buck was passed up. After coming back on the trip with nothing, he didn't seem like he would have been so bad. Especially since they had the chance to shoot him at only 20 yards or less. Thats the nature of the game though.

post-3284-1290390153_thumb.jpg

This was my coues find of the trip even if it was only from a buck in the 70's or so.

post-3284-1290391829_thumb.jpg

Well being antlerhead and I are both horse owners, we actually decided to put one of them to use. We hit the brush for a couple days on a mid. Nov antler hunt. We still hit the brush on foot but the over all journey was much easier.

This was Dustins' pride and joy of the trip. This was an older head but in perfect condition scoring prob. around 90 or so.

post-3284-1290394980_thumb.jpg

This was a very nice brown he found. If he ever decides he dont like it any more, I'll find a good home for it. :P

This was my find of the trip. Terrible picture but huge antler. This is actually an antler I have been looking to find for over a year. I found the pair to it last year but it took me about 4 trips to find the matching side. It was only 1/8 of a mile or less away but in the jungle that I was looking in that was quite the challenge. I posted a picture of the matching side on August 10 2009 about 10 pages ago on this forum.

post-3284-1290393371_thumb.jpg

On this trip Dustin had all the deer finds including: 1 mule deer head, 1 coues deer head, and 3 coues sheds.

We both found our fair share of elk ants. including browns , year olds , 1 year old pair and some nice sized whites.

post-3284-1290395561_thumb.jpg

Taking a break on the trail. Made for an easy pack out.

post-3284-1290396023_thumb.jpg

This is the pair that took me a year to find. These antlers are at least 5 years old but could be restored to like new quite easily. The mass on both the 4ths and main beam are incredible. Not a record set but I still like them.

post-3284-1290396336_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1290396629_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1290394161_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the sheds, looks like some good finds. I am sure having the horse along made the trek out that much more enjoyable.

Aaron.

The brown, only the third coues brown I've ever found, had some good mass

post-2337-1290655127_thumb.jpg

Found my biggest coues forkie to date on this trip also, assuming he had a matching side and a 12 inch spread this buck would go 86in

post-2337-1290655274.jpg

post-2337-1290655321_thumb.jpg

I was real happy to find this after I goofed up and lost a similar buck on my general hunt this year, It was on a east faceing slope in the open, surprised no one had glassed it up, taped out right under 100

post-2337-1290655508_thumb.jpg

post-2337-1290655602_thumb.jpg

Pretty nice trash you guys picked up........can't wait to get out there again and see what ya left behind......nice job.

yes pretty nice trash picked up, here is trash-Cleaned up, your right It makes me sick wondering how big the one was i didn't find, or never will, but this was a treat to find no doubt, good luck & thanks. get out where? you followin us? lol :ph34r:

post-2337-1290815895_thumb.jpg

post-2337-1290815929_thumb.jpg

I'm sure Jasons elk set will come out nice too...hey Jason,,mass measurements? or do I have ta score umm me self?? pictures don't do umm justice.. that's for sure

Looks like a pretty steep area with the horse. I think I'll be needing a mule next time I go into my favorite canyons.

We just used the horse on the trail going to our destination and back, wich was fairly easy going and recently maintained for the most part. She did better than expected with the sheds wich was a new rodeo for her. Yes, steep area though.