Sign in to follow this  
BELLOTABUCKS

doe with antlers?

I was reading about whitetail online on wikipedia and it said 1 in 10,000 does will grow antlers. It did say it could be contributed to hermaphroditism. I was curious if anyone has either killed an antlered coues with the wrong goods underneath or even heard of one being killed?

I was reading about whitetail online on wikipedia and it said 1 in 10,000 does will grow antlers. It did say it could be contributed to hermaphroditism. I was curious if anyone has either killed an antlered coues with the wrong goods underneath or even heard of one being killed?

I remember seeing one that taxidermist John Doyle had mounted. This was in 1967 or so. Its antlers were puny (a fork on one side, spike on the other.) Haven't heard of another since then.

Bill Quimby

I have never heard of Coues but my best friends dad killed a Muley doe with antlers once. He went up to gut it out and thought someone was playing a trick and attached the antlers somehow :lol: :lol:

I wont say what he called it but the first word rhymed with deer. It was his ***** deer.

I have seen a buck that had the right package but no antlers! This was during the December hunt so should have been month away from shedding time!

My cousin killed a WT buck in unit 1 that had ivories! There is occasionally some weird stuff out there!

A buddy of mine shot a deer one time with no organs male or female....just a pee hole. It was a 3 point deer. But this happens often enough and that's why our tags read "antlered" not "buck"

saw a muley last week in new mex that i'm positive was an antlered doe. little spikes about 4 inches long, that came to a point like little devils horns. but it had a fawn with it. and it was a lot bigger than a buck with spikes like that. and the horns were way over next to it's ears. didn't come out of the top of the skull like the usually do. we saw another doe in unit 15 in new mex about 15 years ago that had antlers. this one was close enough and stood around long enough we could tell the sex. my dad wanted to shoot it but it didn't have a fork and they had to have one on that hunt then. there are 2 "stags" by my sons home in new mex right now. pretty ugly horns for sure on them things. Lark.

"I seen an old euro coues mount at one of my customers houses that has small k9 teeth."

"My cousin killed a WT buck in unit 1 that had ivories! There is occasionally some weird stuff out there!"

It's not surprising that deer will occasionally, albeit rarely, have canines. The ancestors of most of the 40 or so species of deer found around the world actually had fangs!

A holdover from those prehistoric times are the dark vertical marks on each side of a deer's lower jaws. The only deer I've encountered that didn't have these marks were caribou, but then they're unique among all deer in that the females also have antlers.

There are at least two Asian deer species that still do have long canine teeth -- the muntjac and the water deer. The muntjac has antlers; the water deer does not.

Bill Quimby

bill, didn't the irish elk have big ol' sabre teeth sorta like the big prehistoric cats? i saw a skeleton on one once and it seems like it had big ol' tusks. i also either read or was told that the elk ivory is remnant of a big tusk that they used to have eons ago. you ever hear that? Lark.

bill, didn't the irish elk have big ol' sabre teeth sorta like the big prehistoric cats? i saw a skeleton on one once and it seems like it had big ol' tusks. i also either read or was told that the elk ivory is remnant of a big tusk that they used to have eons ago. you ever hear that? Lark.

Lark:

I don't think it was the so-called Irish elk, which actually is a megaloceros, one of the earlier forms of fallow deer. It is the largest deer with the largest antlers ever known. The SCI museum in Tucson has a set of antlers on a skull that was dug up in Europe, along with a lifesize mount made with artificial hair and a cast of the original antlers. I also saw an assembled skeleton of one at a museum in New Zealand, and don't remember seeing tusks on any of them. From all that I've read, tusks preceded antlers on the creatures that eventually evolved into our modern deer.

Bill Quimby

The worst thing about growing old is knowing that the condition is only temporary. -- BQ

A buddy of mine shot a deer one time with no organs male or female....just a pee hole. It was a 3 point deer. But this happens often enough and that's why our tags read "antlered" not "buck"

this one was killed this yr - ohio i think

reported no sex organs

post-3096-0-57296900-1324512201_thumb.jpg

MAn that deer is UGLY. I dont know if I'd want it in my house?!!!

A few years ago, when I killed that 2x4, it had a canine teeth on the 4 side.