Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

SnattleRakes

Just curious if you October hunters found a lot of rattle snakes this year with it being so warm. Last year on the November hunt I ran across 3 and it snowed 4 inches on the 3rd day of the season. With it being 80 degrees this year still I'm afraid I may be up to my armpits in the dern things!

Kevin

I've been out several times recently and have seen a few snakes. The only rattlers I've seen have been in the roads. I'm not much of a snake person so I try to make sure they won't bother me the next time I'm out. :lol:

JDH

I've seen a couple on the Sasabe road while commuting to and from my hunt this past weekend. I was running through the desert by my house about a week ago (no, no one was chasing me, it was for exercise) and my trail I run goes down through Brawley wash, I was on my way home and into my 4th mile, with the sun and sweat in my eyes as I crossed through the wash. I put my hand up to block the sun so I could see the trail when the large limb in the middle of the path about 2 feet away rose up into an "S" and began to buzz.

I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at 230lbs but the high pitched squeel that came out of my mouth was that of a 60lb 10 year old girl, one more step and I would've most likely been missing my October Coues hunt. I tossed sticks at it until it moved from the trail and allowed me to pass, after a safe distance away (200 yards or so) I sat down on the desert floor and had a good laugh at myself...............and left my chonies along the trail.

I used to kill rattlers years ago but do not anymore, they are fascinating creatures and I have nothing but respect for them.

Great story Brian! I don't kill the snakes either. I think they are way cool. And thank god they rattle or I would be in a world of hurt. The only snakes I have seen out in the last week were gopher snakes (bull snakes some people call them). But if they are active, so are the rattlers.

Amanda

Just buy a pair of the gaitors from sportsmans warehouse. They are the good ones that cover the top of your foot. That is the spot most people get hit. Then they go right up to your knee. They are hot and sweaty at first , But you get used to it.

seen one a few weeks ago while quad riding, my kids got a kick out of it , being the first theyve seen ever.

We have only seen 3 this year while quail hunting!, AND I SUGGEST U KILL ANYONE U HAVE TO CHANCE TO!!!! If we all killed one, there would still be to many! I got bit by one THAT DID NOT rattle(It is a myth that rattle snakes ALWAYS rattle when they are in danger or are warning, matter of fact alot of times they wont move or make a sound!), two years ago, while bird hunting, and it would have probably struck me again before i had the chance to move, but my setter jumped on it! (And yes we had a very unfortunate loss of a GREAT Bird dog, because of a dumb snake!) I was luckily ok, we had about an hours drive(doing about 90) to the Payson Hospital!

I've only seen one this year. Two weeks ago while quail hunting. It was a black one with yellow stipes. At first I didn't think it was rattler, but when I got closer, there was no doubt. Had to check a rattlesnake poster at work on Monday to learn that it was a Tiger Rattlesnake. First one I'd ever seen.

Didn't see any while deer hunting. Good thing.

Ghost Hunter