COOSEFAN

The Land Of Giants....

Good luck Jim. I'm going down with "Ultra300mag" the end of January. Hopefully it will be as good a hunt as last year. Can't wait.

I'll be heading down again this year with several fellow forum members shortly after the first....and I already am getting the sleepless nights, I can't wait.

I love seeing those pictures! Good luck Jim and may those giants present you with a shot.

Hey guys, I'm home now from a very short trip to Mexico! I'm glad to hear there are still folks headin' down there despite the scary stuff you hear in the media. I've gotta say, just like the 20 other times I've crossed the border and traveled in Mexico, I never felt scared and never had a bad experience with any of the officials or people while down there! You just gotta play by the rules and travel safe and you'll be fine!

This first trip was to be a scouting trip and hunt a little with the bows for Coues or maybe look for a Muley. It was INSANE hot down there, especially sitting in a blind, and the deer weren't moving at all! I think most days it got around 95 degrees! To make the trip harder, the 4wd broke on the ranch truck and we even got it permanently stuck for a day so we couldn't get to some of our best spots. I was still able to get 10 cameras out and got some new areas mapped out so i'm excited for the next trip! Despite the conditions we still had some great experiences. I whacked a pig with my bow that came charging after I called him in to 15 yards, we passed up a great 30" wide and heavy Muley that unfortunately had short forks and was around 175 class, and I even had a lion come in to a tank I was sitting and I got some great pics of him!

I'll post up some pics here shortly. Best of luck to you all that are heading down there, it's gonna be a great year for giants down there! JIM>

Be safe Jim! Darr and I are headed down the day after Christmas......should be another great year down there. Go get em'

Hey Jay, I'll be heading back down on the same day hopefully we run into each other! I'll be going thru Nogales and only have my bow so i won't be stopping at the military. Best of luck to you both!

How much time and how much money would a good Mexican Coues experience require? Its definitely on my to-do hunting list.

Hey Mr. Jonathan, Mexico is getting cheaper because of the economy and the media hype so it's getting easier to do for most folks. The problem most guys have is getting their wives to let them go! A bunch of folks think that Mexico is a war zone and that you are most likely gonna get shot or mugged while down there and that is possible if you go looking for it, but the fact is that thousands of folks travel down and back safely every year without incident. It is a risk but I feel is no different than traveling in south phoenix.

I would bet you could find a great coues hunt from one of our sponsors here at CWT.com for anywhere from $2,500.00-$4,500.00 and possibly cheaper! Most hunts are 6-7 days and some guys will even allow you to come back down if you don't kill on your first trip! It would be hard to get gun permits this last minute but some outfits will have a gun you could borrow or you could take a bow and not need any paperwork.

Thanks for the update Jim and I'm glad you came back home safely. If I were you I wont let that mule deer go, that's a trophy in my book ;) I do have one question.....did you end up shooting the lion? Will be waiting for the pictures, thanks.

Ernesto C

Be safe Jim! Darr and I are headed down the day after Christmas......should be another great year down there. Go get em'

Hey Jay, I'll be heading back down on the same day hopefully we run into each other! I'll be going thru Nogales and only have my bow so i won't be stopping at the military. Best of luck to you both!

Hey Jay - Darr - Jim,

I'll be heading down the day after Christmas as well. We are going through Mariposa as close to 6:00 am as possible. Then to the military, then Hermosillo airport to pick up some clients, and off to do some huntin!!! It would be nice to meet some other Coues fanatics like myself! If we don't Buena Suerte.

Jim

Good luck Jason, I'm sure you'll whack a toad!

Jim, I'll be going thru the same crossing, hopefully I see ya!

I checked the weather around Hermosillo and still not much change in the long term, we need it to cool down!!!

Here's a couple pics I took with my wifes crappy camera (mine is too noisy). The deer activity sucked with the extreme heat but now that i got a bunch of cams out I'm sure I'll get some good pics next week! The lion hopefully won't be killin' any more deer, I know he hasn't shown back up yet on cams which is a good sign.....and I am still missing an arrow ;)

Mexico1096.jpg

Mexico1092.jpg

Mexico1037.jpg

Mexico1028.jpg

Mexico1026.jpg

Mexico1108.jpg

Mexico1105.jpg

Love the pics Jim.

Good luck to all you guys in that ranch this year. Hope you nail that 135"!

Don't you just love being able to set up trail cams and not worry about anyone messing with them!

That lion looks like he's saying "I Kill You!"

TAM, Buckhorn, myself and my buddies Alan and Gail will be joining Antlerdog about the 3rd week of January for a week of Couesin. We are so pumped its just stupid!

Love the pics Jim.

Good luck to all you guys in that ranch this year. Hope you nail that 135"!

Don't you just love being able to set up trail cams and not worry about anyone messing with them!

That lion looks like he's saying "I Kill You!"

It is definitely a new experience to set cams out in the wide open without worry about theft! The best part about Mexico is the amount of country that a guy could have all to himself and never see another hunter, it's also pretty cool to know there's some giants living in the same country ;)

I'm excited to see what's on the cams and hope the activity down in Mexico is as good as what I saw yesterday in 35!!!

Josh, I can't wait to read the story of your hunt, no doubt some bruisers will fall with you guys in the woods ;) Best of luck to you all!