Sign in to follow this  
savagman

First Bull

First time I have drawn a bull tag.

I tracked him for a couple hours, he busted me once and took off. Caught up to him an hour later. Saw him about 30 yards ahead through the junipers. A quick look with binocs and saw a good rack. Threw the 30-06 to my shoulder and he stepped right out and looked right at me. The bullet hit true, just behind the shoulder, and he ran 15 yards and went down hard. Elated, excited, then concerned as I had a horse sized animal down far from roads and on a solo hunt. After a quick text mobilizing help and a few pics I got down to work. Quartered, trimmed, and hung the meat then a quick 1.5 mile hike out to meet wife, kids, mom and dad. Another four hours to get the truck a bit closer and pack out the meat and head. Exhausted but still elated and looking forward to great meals and a magnificent trophy.

5b - November 27

post-2937-1291835479_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1291835496_thumb.jpg

how was the unit as 5B? instead of 5bn and 5bs.

I really enjoyed the hunt in 5b. I was camped off the road to Long lake (211?) but hunted about 15 miles North of there. There were a ton of guys headed in and out off that road. The trucks coming in woke me up before my alarm went off. I suspect that anyone hunting that area had plenty of company. Where I was I saw a couple other trucks and no other hunters until after my bull was down. I am interested to hear anyone that was hunting closer to Long Lake.