Sign in to follow this  
azmetalman

USFS Anti Hunting Move

It never stops and it won,t go away.

December 10, 2010

Forest Service to Consider Banning Gun Hunting

in Parts of Huron-Manistee National Forest

(Columbus, OH) - As a result of a recent anti-hunting court ruling, the U.S. Forest Service is starting a formal review of its Management Plan for the Huron-Manistee National Forest to consider banning hunting with firearms in some areas.

In September, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Forest Service’s regulations required that it consider banning hunting with guns on lands designated as “semi-primitive.” The Court found that the noise associated with gun hunting could harm the quality of the recreational experience of hikers, backpackers, and cross county skiers.

Just as troublesome, the Court ruled that the Forest Service was required to consider closing these areas to gun hunting in places where there is other public, non-Forest land nearby that is open to gun hunting. This could require the Forest Service to close lands currently open for gun hunting when other state or federal hunting lands are opened.

The court ruling has prompted the Forest Service to start a formal review of the Huron-Manistee Management Plan. Primarily, the review will focus on whether or not hunting with guns should be banned on the “semi-primitive” areas.

Sportsmen will be given opportunities to submit comments to the Forest Service throughout the review process.

“This court ruling is a major threat to hunting on these lands and across the country,” said Rob Sexton, USSA vice president for government affairs. “Anti-hunters will likely use this ruling to try and force the Forest Service to ban gun hunting on other Forest lands.”

On October 26th, the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and a coalition of nineteen other leading conservation groups sent a letter to the Forest Service requesting that it rewrite the regulations the Court used to render the anti-hunting decision.

the hits just keep on happenin'. but it doesn't have anything to do with obama tho. even tho all this crap is going down on his watch and i guarantee it is precondonded by him. little by little, bit by bit, we're being turned into slaves of the federal gov't. freedom and liberty are a thing of the past. entitlement for the lazy, the illegal, the criminals, that's where it's at. joe taxpayer is the fool here. first for letting them take all his money and giving it to somebody that won't work and then by letting this kinda thing happen. the obamaites file suit against Az for enforcing the law and lean on the judge to get the result they want, raise heck about tax cuts for the people that pay the taxes, mandate a health care system that will destroy health care, think they can pass a law that will change the weather, think if producers pay more taxes it will change the weather, and now they're gonna outlaw hunting on public land. just as well, all game animals are anymore is wolf food. guys, it ain't comin', it's here. folks have gotta wise up and take on the hard problems. get off the fence and get on one side or the other and fight for what's on that side. and be ready to hit the guys on the other side of the fence right in the mouth and then keep hittin' em. Lark.

We don't have any "semi-primitive" areas in Arizona to my knowledge, but a similar ruling could be applied to the Blue Range Primitive Area, every designated wilderness area, as well as such places as Lake Mead National Recreational Area, the ironwood preserve north of Tucson, assorted national wildlife refuges, etc.

Bowhunters shouldn't get complacent, just because they think this ruling will only affect hunting with firearms.

If this dumb ruling holds, some court will say just knowing that men, women and children dressed in camouflage -- and some of them wearing face paint -- are shooting arrows into wild animals can ruin the outdoor experience for hikers, wildlife photographers, birdwatchers and campers and should be banned for the greater good of all users (except hunters, of course) of the public's land.

Bill Quimby

We don't have any "semi-primitive" areas in Arizona to my knowledge, but a similar ruling could be applied to the Blue Range Primitive Area, every designated wilderness area, as well as such places as Lake Mead National Recreational Area, the ironwood preserve north of Tucson, assorted national wildlife refuges, etc.

Bowhunters shouldn't get complacent, just because they think this ruling will only affect hunting with firearms.

If this dumb ruling holds, some court will say just knowing that men, women and children dressed in camouflage -- and some of them wearing face paint -- are shooting arrows into wild animals can ruin the outdoor experience for hikers, wildlife photographers, birdwatchers and campers and should be banned for the greater good of all users (except hunters, of course) of the public's land.Bill Quimby

reminds me of the adventure that Tracy had on his archery hunt!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=21348&hl=

would the quiet areas in 6a count as "semi-primitive"? They sort of become wilderness areas during the time of year when the gates are locked...

"reminds me a the adventure that Tracy had on his archery hunt!"

Unfortunately, too many judges would side with the women Tracy described, and would want to keep others from ever having to undergo the trauma of witnessing such brutality.

Bill Quimby

This is totally ridiculous, the court system is corrupt. Hopefully the USFS will not allow this or close it to EVERYONE if it needs to be closed on one section of people.

Anti-hunting groups should never be underestimated.

i gotta start readin' more o' these stories. that one is too good. i've had a lotta women talk to me that way, but i always figgerd it was just because they knew me. i'm guessin' now it's because i'm such a great hunter. Lark.

i gotta start readin' more o' these stories. that one is too good. i've had a lotta women talk to me that way, but i always figgerd it was just because they knew me. i'm guessin' now it's because i'm such a great hunter. Lark.

Lark, your wisdom and humor never cease to amaze and entertain. Keep up the good work. We all need a bit of levity each day. :P

Bill Quimby

Bill and Amanda I acquired an entire lifetime of experience in just 2 years while working for the USDA in the 1970s. Belive me when I say it never stops. As to Amanda's question and Bills comments...both of you have good points. My experience working for the Federal Government taught me 2 things. One is that I needed to find gainful employment as soon as possble. Second they are the FEDERAL Government and they honestly believe they can/will make any rule or law apply to any situation. This is largely due the silent majority living up to their name. Just think about President Bill Clinton's statement "it depends on the meaning of IS" or whatever it was that he said. I agree with Bill Quimby. We don't have any semi primitive areas in Arizona. But who is writing the definitions?? Not you or I.

We really need to write letters and make phone calls. A legislator at any level pays attention to a flood of comments on a particular subject. I had the opportunity to serve as the Legislative Chairman for a major trade organization for a number of years. One enlightning discovery was that a few letters, phone calls etc. do get noticed but that is about all. 100 calls and letters is a flood. 200 is almost a Tsunami on many issues. 300, 400, 500 short personal letters or personal phone calls will have the administratvie staff calling information to get Mr. Noah's telephone number and address so they can obtain engineering drawings for that big boat.

Personal letters and personal telephone calls. Please take the time.

"We don't have any "semi-primitive" areas in Arizona "

I just read this thread altho I was aware of this ruling some time ago. Just for all of your information, the forests in Arizona have LOTS of areas designated as "semi-primitive". It is one of the classifications the FS uses in what they call the Recreation Opportunity Spectrum (ROS). These areas are prevelent in all of the Arizona national forests. The semi-primitive classification is further subdivided into motorized and non-motorized.

If this ruling was to go national, MUCH of the forest service land in Arizona would be affected.

Just Google "ROS" and "semi-primitive" and the name of your favorite forest. You will find lots of references. You can also ask the forest for a map of the ROS classifications for the forest.

Scary stuff for sure, and I agree with Bill that the Blue Range is one of the first to be at risk here in AZ for this kind of nonsense - however I think some of the areas around Phoenix and Tucson could be equally impacted, as well as the units around the Grand Canyon, and Aravaipa Canyon, Patagonia Lake, just to name some of the obvious. Any place that draws a lot of hikers, sightseers, birders etc. where we "ghastly, camo-clad, heavily armed hunters" overlap in a "shared resource" environment, we're going to see this kind of pressure.

In addition to becoming more informed and politically active about these issues, we can all play a role by doing a few very simple things. Make sure you keep a clean campsite, pick up not only your own litter, but that left behind by others, be courteous, respectful and helpful when you do encounter non-hunters in the field. It's also a good idea to make sure if you have game hanging in camp or in transport to make sure it is well taken care of, and when appropriate, out of sight.

I've had lots of people flag me down to look at an animal and even take pictures, when the rack sticks up past the bed of a truck. That doesn't mean we want to hang the head over the tailgate or other tasteless stuff. By-and-large, the non-hunting public seems to be OK sharing the woods with hunters as long as they don't feel threatened or don't see us doing things that are overtly disrespectful or "showy".

It only takes one "bubba" for a lot of non-hunters to make a bad impression. However, by being conscientious hunters with a good sense of awareness and a little judgement we can show the non-hunting public that we don't fit the easy stereotype, and that we truly are stewards of the land and animals we hunt.

I tell my sons what my mom told me. "When you leave this house, others will judge our entire family by the way you conduct yourself. What you do will not only reflect on you, but on all of us." That statement is true for any family, and I think it's very applicable to our "extended family" of hunters.