Hello the List:

Robert here, signing on to the CouesWhitetail Forum.

I grew up in Wyoming and except for when I was in the Marine Corps spent nearly thirty years there. I moved to Kansas in the mid 90's because I couldn't take the weather/winters anymore.

Been hunting these Kansas whitetails and been doing pretty good.

I've taken nine over 150", several well over 160".

I'm getting interested in Coues because it looks like I'm going to make a 'career' out of big whitetails. (I took a 340"+ 7x7 bull when I lived there, but I can't draw the best Wyo. elk units (Unit 7/20) for elk and don't have points in Arizona, and can't afford the various Governors permits, much less the San Carlos, so a big elk collection is out. I've killed six big (79"-83"+) Wyoming pronghorns, but the drought has really hit them hard and I can't draw Arizona and can't afford New Mexico landowner permits, so a pronghorn collection, for now, seems out. Mule deer? What a joke. Sheep? I've taken a Wyoming bighorn and a 165" Dall, but can't afford the Stone, much less a Desert. I've taken a 370"+ caribou and want some more, but it's really hit and miss...) So it looks like I should expand and specialize on the various whitetails, Mexican, Canadian, Coues etc.

So here I am, a rank beginner on what I am told is THE most difficult deer.

I have a very close frend who has been to Arizona twice for Coues. (He's one of, if not the best, taxidermists in Wyoming)

Be merciful.

I've been through the archives and back messages... Might I ask some questions?

Robert

Ask away- Roberto! This is a great website, very helpful, tho we can, at times be a little rough around the edges.

Trufletch

Broncazonk, Welcome to Coueswhitetail.com....Ask all the suestions you want ;)

Welcome Robert! You hit the jackpot for Coues deer info so ask away.

Some of the best people you will find anywhere on the web call this site home!

Waht part of Wyoming were you from?

Welcome Robert!! ;)  We'll help anyway we can.

Scott

I graduated from high school up in Gillette...(when I lived there it was a cow town, now it's an oil boom town), also lived in Cody and Laramie and both of these towns have gotten real trendy...

R

Robert,

I'm new as well, having just drawn my second Coues tag and can't wait for December to get here.

I moved here from Colorado and I feel your pain on the hunting situation. 15 years and only one elk tag! Not like the "good ol' days" when I could buy my elk license over the counter the day before the season opened.

Good luck getting the big ones, just save a few for me.

Is it true that the best way to get your Wyo pronghorn is to wait for the wind to stop and them run up and club them when they fall over? ;)

Bret

P.S. I'm not sure you gained much going from Wyoming to Kansas. :)

Robert,

Having been a Kansas whitetail hunter, we could possibly learn a few things about the whitetail nature from you!

Any of those big bucks archery kills?

Mike

Hey Robert!! It is good to have you aboard. I know that anytime I have asked questions, those on the site have been more than helpful, kind and enjoyable to interact with. I am sure you will enjoy everyone.

Thank you for your undying service to our great country and happy Veteran's Day to you!

Todd

Allow me to echo the Veteran's day recognition for your service to our great country. Thank you.

Mike