Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

# 3 for Enrique

This hunt started out a lot easier than it was last year. Last year Enrique, my son, drew the 22n late tag and we had no idea where to look. At 11 years old it was his first elk tag so I was determined like never before to find him a bull. 19 days of scouting later I knew the unit very well and was very confident he would shoot his bull. The big snows came plenty early and had pushed a lot of elk into the unit. He shot his first bull an hour after opening day @ 85 yards.

post-4763-1292350276_thumb.jpg

This year Enrique was fortunate enough to draw the same tag. I spent 11 days scouting and fine tuning the particular elk and their locations. This year was different as no big snow storms had pushed much elk off the mountain. The bigger bulls also seemed to be bunched together instead of staying by themselves. We followed a particular bull literally all year long getting a glimpse of him on 4 occassions and over 170 trail camera pics. I took the family camping the week prior to my son's hunt to watch the area we would be hunted to see what kind of pressure would be placed on the bulls. On Sunday we woke to snow and I went out to locate the big bull. There were boot tracks everywhere, but no vehicle at the normal parking place so I was a bit bewildered. I hear some commotion so I went to where it was coming from and found a lady and her son. She had a rifle on the ground and he was trying to figure out his map. They were lost with a bull down. It was mid-morning and I wanted to see if I recognized the bull she shot. Sure enough it was the bull we had been following for the past year. post-4763-1292351170_thumb.jpg

In the meantime Enrique drew a youth tag in New Mexico. On the second evening right before dark we were able to call this young bull into 22 yards for his shot. 1 well placed round was all it took for this bull to go down. An all night skinning and pack job was in store for us, but we didn't complain. Hunting in the plains is a very different experience for sure. You can glass antelope and elk within 50 yards of each other and the elk drink from the same water sources in the middle of nowhere with the antelope. Pretty cool. post-4763-1292352576_thumb.jpg

Back to Az: With the biggest bull (that we knew of) gone from the area we focused on one canyon that held bulls from Oct-Dec of last year. This year was the same as 2 groups of bulls were insistant on not leaving the canyon. With 9 bulls located I knew it would only be a matter of time before Enrique would put down his 3rd bull. Opening morning found us high on the ridge glassing. Immediately, we found the bulls and started our decent onto our shooting location. 5 shots later I was convinced Enrique had shot a nice 6x. We gave him and hour and I watched the footage about 10 times. post-4763-1292353695_thumb.jpg

I was sure he hit the bull no less than 4 times. We slowly went to where the elk stood and found no blood. He had stood there for nearly 15 minutes so I got a pit in my stomach thinking maybe he was hit bad or Enrique had missed. We searched the entire day and never found a drop of blood. The second day we were back at it looking for blood. We had his tracks, but with so many elk using that area all looked fresh. After the second full day of searching we gave up. The 3rd day the elk were back and no shot was presented. They worked their way through the brush for 45 minutes and we waited on that sidehill all day, but they never came out in the evening. 4th & 5th day the bulls were there, but no easy shots for my son to take (there's a huge difference between getting a shot opportunity and getting a 12 year old a shot opportunity). Each day the same thing. Shooter bulls (5x5 or bigger) were spotted and in range, but not long enough for the 3 minute setup required. The last day we found the bulls again and now 6 more bulls had joined the group. They were all mature bulls as well. Some broke up pretty bad, but a couple were dandy 6x's. Unfortunately, they all stayed in the brush and pines and never came out. The 2 smaller bulls started up the side hill to the exact same location as the first bull on the first day. Enrique took aim and made the shot. We were very happy for this last day bull and makes # 3 for Enrique @ 12 years old.post-4763-1292353748_thumb.jpg

Great read and congrats to the little guy on a great elk. Hopefully MATTMAN don't read this.

Great job. Congrats again.

You gotta watch that Jeremy-- I think he's on a first name basis with every tree, bush and bull in the unit! He knew exactly the spot where I got mine as well. Congrats to Enrique and dad as well; I'll hope to meet you guys in 22N next year.

hey nice stealth cam. i just got mine and waiting for pictures in 2 weeks.

i tested it several times at work and home