Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Bowhunting the Tucson Mountains

I'm gonna give it a try, not sure about it though. Due to limited amount of time I have to hunt in Jan, I'm going to try hunting in the Tucson mountain park. I'm looking for pointers, tips, advice,from any one who has hunted this area? It will be my first time hunting a metro unit. Got my map and stamp. ;)

I would verify with the Pima County Parks and Rec that you have the right map and please be very respectful of the private property in the area. In my opinion we are on the verge of losing that area to be able to hunt. To be honest there are some great hunting areas just as close with the same quality and quantity of game without the hassles of private property and the massive amount of hunters.

cmc

There is a meeting scheduled about that area in a week or so, (not sure the dates) Game and Fish could tell you the dates. But apparently their are many who want no more hunting in there... and they are getting close to getting their wish.

I would verify with the Pima County Parks and Rec that you have the right map and please be very respectful of the private property in the area. In my opinion we are on the verge of losing that area to be able to hunt. To be honest there are some great hunting areas just as close with the same quality and quantity of game without the hassles of private property and the massive amount of hunters.

cmc

+1 from what i hear an seen, last yr was a mess with people trespassing an hunting in closed areas! its getten BAD!

I spoke with Game and Fish and they told there has been alot of issues with so called hunters,going thru peoples yards and road hunting.... I couldn't believe that, but they told me there are guys dressed in camo cruising neighborhood streets in thier vehicles with thier bows looking for deer! The meeting held last night was not to stop hunting but to work out a plan to create buffer zones of no hunting around Homes.

Wow! I'm having second thoughts! They did share with me some areas I could hike into to avoid the craziness!

head out to the tortolitas! catch em leavin the golf courses west of dove mountain. saw a stud 4x6 at tangerine and thornydale.

i wouldnt hunt the dove mountain area. i work up there and have seen lots of deer in the past but they are starting to get rabies. i got racks of dead bucks i have found when im working. i already contacted G&F and he told me next time i see a sick buck to contact him. I thought it was CWD at first but he said that there are no confirmed cases of that in AZ so he doubts that. He told me that the deer are pry getting rabies because the Dove Mountain Javelina herd tested positive for that 3 years ago. its a shame cause i used to see monsters out there now its been about 7 months since ive seen a deer :o