Sign in to follow this  
Kel

A 2011 coues hunt for my 12yr old son?

Well, on Nov. 27th I got back from a very successful Bull-elk hunt in which I was able to get my 6x6 bull at just over 500 yrds. I had a very proud Dad moment though--when I got home, my youngest son Chris, when seeing my bull, asks: "So, Dad, what would be my chances of hunting big game next year (2011)?" I told him--pretty good son.

So, my questions to you guys are these: 1.) Does he need to take the hunter safety class? (He'll be 13yrs old in April)? 2.) Are there any youth hunts in any coues units that are in December? I have looked at the regs for the past 2 yrs and I only see October and November hunts. 3.) Or, as a Dad, would you put him in a regular general rifle hunt with the big boys? 4.)I am looking at units 31, 32, 33 for next year but any one of these units would be completely new--should I stay with units 22 or 24a? or get to know (scout) a little further south--in 31, 32 or 33?

Any information you can give me so that I can help out my boy I'd appreciate it and thank you in advance.

Kel

put in for the junior coues hunt, the success rate for the jr oct hunt it is relatively high, sometimes higher than a december hunt. Lots of opportunity for a junior hunter to have a good hunt in Arizona and several spikes are taken as well as severl big bucks!

The early juniors hunts in 22 or 23 are the best hunts possible IMO. I believe draw rate is about 50% or better and it is any antlered deer. Success rates on these hunts are as good as anywhere. Makes me wish I was still a junior hunter.

My son was almost 13 this year, got his first buck in the 33 junior hunt. Just a spike but he didn't care. He also got his first javelina with his bow in Jan. You'll have a great time out there with your son, well it will be a toss up if you or him are having more fun.

if you put in for the 24a oct or nov hunt you have a 80% chance or better at getting drawn. You guys should put in together that away you both have a chance if you see 2 or more bucks together. I have always put in with my dad for 21 years and it has been great to both have tags. Good luck with whatever you put in for.

I very well could be wrong, but arent some juniors hunts for any antlered deer? Muley or WT?

I know back when I was a junior, there was a juniors only cow elk hunt that coincided with a juniors onle mule deer hunt. I had the cow tag and saw several very nice mule deer, most of which I could have easily killed.

I do not know if they do that any more, but it would be worth a shot. I think it was/is one of the only tags in Az where you can hunt two species at a time with a rifle.