Sign in to follow this  
BML

P90X

Anyone here do the full 90 days?? I am in the gym regularly and change up my routines every 6 weeks, but I'm in a rut and getting bored with traditional workouts. I am thinking of giving this program a try. The muscle confusion theory if very intriguing to me. Haven't heard of anyone that has done it though. Just looking for a little feedback.

Thanks!

Is it more of a muscle building or fat burning program? I'm trying to build more muscle mass and its slow going so far. I only average about 2 pounds a month.

I did the entire program last year. It's more for building muscle and toning up, but it will add strenght which is what I was after. I used it to train up for our high altitude hunt.

Try adding Creatine 30mins prior to your workout and a Protein shake to your post workout. Make sure to consume it right afterward. Each person responds differently to them so you might need to test out a few before you find one that starts to give you better results. I've found some that didn't do diddly for me and some that were great. You'll have to experiment on brands to find some winners and losers for your body.

I have been now doing the Insanity program which is a lot of cardio trying to build up my lung capacity as I found that to be a bigger issue than having the legs to power up the mountains. I'll mix in weights and alternate throughout the year.

If you need professional help my brother owns a personal training gym in Phx and you could get a few hours a week with him to gain the info to take it to the next level.

A friend of mine has done the 90 day program a few times. I think he is 62. But, don't jump to any conclusions. He is a retired coach who is an avid skier and mountain biker and has stayed in excellent shape over the years. He played college ball too.

Anyway, he did not build much muscle mass, but increased his strength and cardio pretty good. He may not have built muscle mass because he wasn't taking in high number of carbs. He swears by P90X because of the muscle confusion and the variety of the workout.

I tried it, but didn't really like it. I just couldn't get used to working out inside infront of a TV. So, like you, I have been doing traditional workouts. Twenty five years after high school and I often do the same exercises.

I think diet plays a big part in building muscle mass. I have a few friends who are trainers and I would go broke if I ate and drank what they told me too - both pre and post workout - but, I'm sure you know about that........

Thanks for the tips guys. I know all about the food and supplements! I currently consume close to 3500 calories a day and probably should eat more. I am close to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Pretty much all I eat are eggs, oatmeal, chicken and protein/mass builder shakes. Its expensive as heck but my metabolism is so high I have to consume all that just to keep up.

More mass and strength are really what I am looking for so I think I am going to try it. It certainly can't hurt!

Thanks again for the tips.

I'll also add that I found the Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover mix to greatly aid in reducing muscle soreness and eliminate any cramping. You do need to consume within the half hour after your workout. I would also take a high quality multi vitamin with it. On the days I skipped those it was quite noticeable. Eating right throughout the day helps, but caring for your muscles within the window of opportunity right before and after a strenuous workout is where results are made as well helping you feel better throughout the day itself.

I'm going to try the WA Meal Replacement shakes and see how they work in lue of the protein shakes I take now.

What I find works is using Casein ( a slow digesting) source of protein before you go to sleep for recovering muscles, but more important first thing in the morning consume some Whey( fast digesting protein). Your body has been fasting all night. Give it what it needs first thing in the morning. Diet and exercise gotta love it.

What I find works is using Casein ( a slow digesting) source of protein before you go to sleep for recovering muscles, but more important first thing in the morning consume some Whey( fast digesting protein). Your body has been fasting all night. Give it what it needs first thing in the morning. Diet and exercise gotta love it.

The Casien protein is awesome. I make my shakes with milk too just to get an added dose of it. I am lucky enough to have very few issues with gaining weight since my metabolism is so high and I stay active all day long at work. I am pretty sure I have the diet part figured out. I eat 6 times a day, including protein and mass builder shakes. I think once I start the program I will eliminate the mass builder shakes and try something else. I don't think they will be all that beneficial since the p90x really isn't really designed to be solely a mass building program.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Thought I would bring this one back to the top.

I started week 4 yesterday and so far I really enjoy it. Currently taking EAS Myoplex for my post workout shakes and they work well. They are a little pricey, but I found them at Walgreens buy one get one free so I bought a few weeks worth. Once they are gone I think I am just going to get the P90X recovery drink. At $2 a serving, it's pretty much the same price or slightly cheaper as all the other recovery drinks I have seen. Nutrition is going well, but I am getting bored with it. So far I have only been eating out of the nutrition guide, but there's not a whole lot of variety in there. The food is good though. I really need to find some good healthy recipes though before I start cheating on the diet because of the lack of variety.

One big thing I struggle with is trying to gain lean muscle mass. I am 5'10" and only 155 pounds (down 5 pounds since starting). I really don't want to lose any weight. I have the classic "skinny fat" body style. The whole balancing act of calorie intake vs calorie burn really sucks! lol I typically burn close to 1000 calories a day between work, running and working out so I have to eat a lot. I am just afraid of eating too much and adding more fat.

One thing I know for sure is I feel great! I am excited to see the final results at the end.

As always, tips and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks again.

The diet does take time to experiment to see what you like in taste but also helps keep you on track with the program. Google online as there are several sites that go over the food items specifically. I would think that 5'10" and 155 that's pretty skinny/light if you ask me. I'm same height but I'm 175 and holding. I kind of turned the tide and quite losing weight on the scale as I was putting on muscle and dropping fat. If you want to really bulk up then you need to keep adding in the right food and don't worry to much at this first round for cutting fat. Add a Creatine to pre-workout which will help you add bulk and keep pounding that protein right after, and I mean right after you get done lifting, not after a shower but right when you're done. Also try and keep that high weight and low rep count as best you can and push, push, push yourself. That motto no pain no gain is really going to help you. Bulking up means you are going to be sore if you're really pushing hard. I would put in the effort to bulk up then after you complete the program try a circuit training program like Insanity or CrossFit that will help you get cut. During that training you get serious about not eating fat and lots of calories but in bulking up you need to make sure you're eating a lot to build muscle.

A recent study showed that doing sprints for 30 seconds, say 4-5 of them, three times a week, will burn twice as much body fat as running for 30-60mins for three times a week. Sounds easy but sprints for 30secs are not easy as they sound, especially 4-5 of them. Limit resting in between to 30-45secs.

cmc

Don't rule out some of the Body Fortress creatine and whey protein that Walmart sells as it's cheap and works. Granted not all bodies react the same to the same product so your mileage may vary but considering it's cost it might be worth trying. Mix the creatine with apple juice to get in the system faster and mix the protein with soy as it is better than adding the fat of dairy.

cmc

I like the majority of the WA products but will not buy the meal replacement shakes again, they cake to bad and it is like sludge on the top of the shake. I have tried it in water, milk, and oj and it sludges in all of them. I stay away from creatine as well as it makes me retain water pretty bad, I can only use it 2 times a week. I am doing Intensity which is brutal at night and free weights in the am. The Intensity has really helped my cardio. ag

I have done P90x twice and it is the best program i have ever done. If you are going to do it follow the diet it comes with as closely as you can. Although the program is great, you will not get the results without the diet. If you follow that diet you should not need to supplement. Also the times of day you eat are crucial. If you didnt get the nutrition guide and phase sheet, they are available online. As sore as you get just keep pushing through, and after week 5 or 6 you will be addicted. This program made hunting so much more comfortable for me. Good luck!

Jake