Sign in to follow this  
sneekfreak

December desert bow bucks

My buddy Jeremiah and I both had Wednesday off last week so we decided to go look for a good buck another friend of ours, Derick had found over the weekend. The morning started off slow, but eventually we glassed what looked like a solid buck. We were so far away it was hard to tell how big he was, but he was with does so we were excited to get closer. As we crept over the last ridge between us and the deer, we noticed movement up to our right. It took so long to get to them that they had moved a significant distance higher on the ridge. At 55 yards Jeremiah put a quick lethal shot in front of the bucks front shoulder that exited just behind his back shoulder. The buck went a short 100 yards up the steep hill still chasing the fleeing does oblivious to the crimson trail he was leaving behind. It all happened so quick, I was unable to anything more than the recovery on film.

post-4925-1293172886_thumb.jpg

As luck would have it we were both off work again this Wednesday, so we headed out to the same place to try to find the big buck Derick had found earlier. Before long Jeremiah glassed a herd of deer with a small 2 point chasing a hot doe. There ended up being 8 does and only the one small buck. We continued to glass for the big one, occasionally checking the herd of 8 to see if a dominant buck had moved in. After about half an hour a nice four point chased a doe out of the bottom into the middle of the heard of 8. He wasn't the big buck we were looking for, but he was big enough. We snuck to within 300 yards and watched until he bedded down. After accessing the situation we decided to loop all the way around the deer and approach from above the now bedded buck. Unlike the week before, the deer were right where we left them when we started our stalk. With Jeremiah at my side running the camera, I was able to push my broadhead through his front shoulder, both lungs and his heart, stopping only while breaking his opposite shoulder. The buck ran full speed for 40 yards before collapsing.

post-4925-1293174012_thumb.jpg

These two days were some of the best I have ever had bowhunting the desert I grew up in. I will never forget them.

Now them are some great looking bucks and a big congratulations to the both of you. Putting the smack on them with a bow had to be an awesome feeling for you both. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Awesome bucks, Great story,thanks for sharing

Great archery bucks, sounds like a couple exciting days you both had! Congrats! JIM>