missedagain

Lion hunt

Hello, I figure with all the snow we are suppose to get this wed. and thurs. a lot of you guys with lion hounds are going to be out chasing this weekend. I have always wanted to participate in one of these types of hunts. So I wanted to ask if any body is taking thier dogs out this thursday, friday, saturday or sunday within about 2 hours of Flagstaff if they wouldn't mind me tagging along. I am in good shape for chasing dogs and would be willing to throw in some gas money to let me tag along. Let me know thanks.

Guest 300ultramag.

fun stuff.. hope you find someone..

and ps.. those lion guys can go.. i wouldnt bank on keeping up.. just surviving.. a 22 mile death march..

You can hunt lions in the snow? What the!?

300- Sounds like you have a true understanding about hunting with hounds, ha ha, classic.

fun stuff.. hope you find someone..

and ps.. those lion guys can go.. i wouldnt bank on keeping up.. just surviving.. a 22 mile death march..

+1

The dogs don't make it easy, they just make it possible!

Not all houndmen in Az need snow to chase Cats. I will be freezing my but off Friday morning on the back of a mule. With some of AZs best hounds out in front of us. They are not my hounds but some friends of ours. My hounds are still young and green. They are not making the trip with us. Our friends have a client and I do not want our young hounds in the mix while they are working for someone. I am sure we will end up with a end of the year lion. Look up Lion in the rocks part 1 and part 2 on YouTube for some great video of a hunt they just had.

Longears, Yes you can hunt lions in the snow. Here is a little story to prove it. Yesterday A guy goes out to cut a lion track. He has a friend with dogs that said he would catch him a lion if he cut a track. He goes into unit 9 and cuts a big tom track. While waiting for his friend he tries to loop the track. He finds it again then loops again with no luck. He drives back to his track that he cut and wouldnt you know there is a guy there putting collars on his dogs ready to dump dogs. Man sais hey this is my track i cut it a while ago and am waiting for my friend. Guy with hounds sais you dont have dogs and to pretty much f-off. What a prick, really, steal someone elses track ''IN THE SNOW" nonetheless. Well sounds like the guy was a total prick and must be hard up for a lion track to screw a fellow hunter like that. All i know is the guy with dogs drove a white toyota, and his name was Andy. Oh wait i saw a pic on a phone of you holding a big tom in unit 9 yesterday and dont you drive a white toyota. :o :blink: :unsure: Please say it isnt so, you wouldnt pull that unethical, unsportsmanlike crap would you? Maybe not, maybe there is another andy that hunts 9 with white truck that killed a tom in there as well.

Longears, Yes you can hunt lions in the snow. Here is a little story to prove it. Yesterday A guy goes out to cut a lion track. He has a friend with dogs that said he would catch him a lion if he cut a track. He goes into unit 9 and cuts a big tom track. While waiting for his friend he tries to loop the track. He finds it again then loops again with no luck. He drives back to his track that he cut and wouldnt you know there is a guy there putting collars on his dogs ready to dump dogs. Man sais hey this is my track i cut it a while ago and am waiting for my friend. Guy with hounds sais you dont have dogs and to pretty much f-off. What a prick, really, steal someone elses track ''IN THE SNOW" nonetheless. Well sounds like the guy was a total prick and must be hard up for a lion track to screw a fellow hunter like that. All i know is the guy with dogs drove a white toyota, and his name was Andy. Oh wait i saw a pic on a phone of you holding a big tom in unit 9 yesterday and dont you drive a white toyota. :o :blink: :unsure: Please say it isnt so, you wouldnt pull that unethical, unsportsmanlike crap would you? Maybe not, maybe there is another andy that hunts 9 with white truck that killed a tom in there as well.

Haha! Are you kidding? "Steal" someones track? Sorry for your friend but like anything, there's always two sides of a story. Here's one for you:

There I was glassing from my favorite spot. I find a 120" buck and make a move on it. I get to the point to shoot the buck and I hear someone walking up behind me. We meet and he says says "Hey, we're on that buck. I'm just waiting for my buddy to drive over here and shoot it."

Don't even throw the "ethical" card on the story you shared....

Who's to say who glassed that buck up first? Who's buck is it REALLY? How do you know that track wasn't found the evening before?

I'm sorry for your friend because I've been in situations like that. But don't be so quick to throw someone under the bus because they were in the right spot at the right time....with everything to get the job done that your buddy didn't have. Sounds to me that good 'ol fashion "hunting" took place.

Haha! Are you kidding? "Steal" someones track? Sorry for your friend but like anything, there's always two sides of a story. Here's one for you:

There I was glassing from my favorite spot. I find a 120" buck and make a move on it. I get to the point to shoot the buck and I hear someone walking up behind me. We meet and he says says "Hey, we're on that buck. I'm just waiting for my buddy to drive over here and shoot it."

Don't even throw the "ethical" card on the story you shared....

Who's to say who glassed that buck up first? Who's buck is it REALLY? How do you know that track wasn't found the evening before?

I'm sorry for your friend because I've been in situations like that. But don't be so quick to throw someone under the bus because they were in the right spot at the right time....with everything to get the job done that your buddy didn't have. Sounds to me that good 'ol fashion "hunting" took place.

Did you kill your buck? That's about as much valuable information as is likely to come out of this thread now. Was that the biggun you smoked last year?

Mr. Jonathan,

No, that wasn't the buck I killed last year. That I know of, there wasn't anyone within a few miles of us when we shot it. The example I shared wasn't anything that happened to me. Just sharing something that has likely happened to far more WT hunters than lion hunters. Just trying to relate, you know?

And just a thought. Anyone ever met a lion hunter who WASN'T hard up for a fresh lion track??? I haven't. Just like none of us WT hunters are hard up for a big buck to walk through our binos. Minority? I think not. From what I've seen, a dedicated houndsman will EASILY spend a week to your average big-game hunters day in the field. All for what? Some guy to make claim on a track that he wasn't sitting on when the infamous WHITE TOYOTA with a dog box was found "stealing" tracks that dreadful day?

Why does'nt your buddy learn how to cut a track instead of having a idiot like yourself do it for him.

Tines, You are not a houndsman so you dont understand. Your example is not the same when it comes to hound hunting and how the whole track thing works. Ask any good hound hunter and i am pretty sure they would never take a track from someone that they cut first. The guy was gone for a short period of time and came back to the situation described.

25.06 You must not be able to read very well. Reread the post and try real hard to understand it before you run your mouth like a fool. I had nothing to do with this at all, just replying to a post with a story. Let me help you understand with an example that invoves you. You have dogs i assume. It snows and everyone heads out to find a lion track. Your friend wants to get a lion so you tell him to go out with you on the snow and if he finds a track you will go catch it for him. How is that wrong? Happens every time it snows. Would you like it if this happened to you friend. How do you know this guy is an idiot. Youe post makes you look like an idiot.

I cant believe some of you guys are defending these kind of actions. Wow.

Another example to put it in perspective for you coues guys. You are at your favorite tank and you know there is a huge buck hitting it. You get there early so no one beats you in there. An hour in you have to crap so you run up the hill a hundred yards and come back in 10 min to see a guy has just showed up and sat in your blind. Hmmmm Would you want him to tell you to pound sand or how do you think it should go. Get real people. Im Pretty sure how it would play out with any one of you.

When someone no one knows does something wrong he gets bashed. When someone people know does something wrong people make excuses and stands up for them. LMAO

Does a guy have to have dogs to go cut lion tracks? What if he just wanted to track it himself without dogs can the guy with dogs take the track just cuz he has dogs?

Think about it. Pretty hard to justify these kind of actions. This kind of crap is why you are all scared to leave out cameras or let anyone know where your spot is cuz so many people are selfish and cut throat when it comes to hunting and will do whatever it takes to better themselves.

I think I am not understanding. "YOU" left a track to find other tracks. "You" don't have dogs and come back to find a lion hunter with dogs ready to run a track. Did you put out a sign that said reserved for "your name here". I understand that sucks to find someone there but I don't get it. I think the lion hunter is in the right if no one was with the track. But the good news is that it will snow again and there are lots of lions in az. Next time ride with your buddy and his dogs. Just saying

I'm new here and don't know any of you personally but a few days ago, I was looking over the pics and thought "why not post a few seems like a cool site."

Seeing this kind of name calling, bitching, arrogance, prejudice, and possible defense of actions unbecoming of a sportsman reminds me why I normally don't bother to contribute to these sites.

Unfortunately, many of the same people who are attracted to websites that allow them to glorify themselves for all to see are also the same people who would never cut a stranger or newbie some slack. We all can't drive the biggest truck, while wearing the biggest stetson, and shooting the latest 700 magnum revolver at a B&C lion from 500 yards but we can all help someone hone their skills.

Right is right and only the people involved know what really happened. Sad part is some of those people probably will never be able to tell right from wrong.

That's all I have. I know I was ranting, so feel free to slander me.