missedagain

Lion hunt

Welcome Aboard DB......

So did anybody take the Original poster out?

Was his request in VAIN?........

Why do you guys have to crap on somebody's thread? (No anwers needed)

How in the world is someone supposed to know that someone else already found the track they are looking at, if

A ) there are no footprints, meaning they did not get out to look at it

B ) there is no one around for an hour

C ) there are no dog tracks

D ) you have not ran into another dog hunter all night

Seriously, do you think Andy the giant slayer is like the old time indian trackers where he can "feel" the track and see all the way back to when the animal was standing in it????????????

This reminds me of a great story from when I was little, my dad and me were huntingt lions up on the kaibab, there was no snow at the time. But lots of rain and muddy roads. We cut a really nice tom track in the mud and dumped the dogs at daylight, we trailed across a few roads and went back to the truck to get closer on the next road over we found dog tracks and lion tracks. On the tree next to the lion track there was a note, "This is MY LION TRACK, I WILL BE BACK at daylight to run it." and it had a mans name, phone number (utah), and the time I think it was like 11 oclock. I thought it was hilarious, there was no evidence anyone had been back and only our dog tracks SO my dad being the courteous houndsmen that he was, pulled a pen out flipped the paper over and wrote "I'm SORRY, MY DOGS MUST NOT HAVE READ YOUR NOTE" it was one of my first real experiences with the competitive side of lion hunting. I still laugh when I think about that.

Seriously, if the guy wanted to claim the track he should have stayed on it. A wise man once said, "THERE ARE NO RESERVATIONS ON PUBLIC LAND"

Well said houndchaser, I'm not getting involved in this crap pile. Andy did right and that's it, found a track no one around and he ran it and caught an awesome tom. GOOD JOB ANDY. Guess somebody learned if they cut a track they intend to Run they better dump the dogs or sit on the dang track till the dogs get there.

Missedagain,

Sorry for your thread being hijacked. That wasn't most of our intentions (not mine anyway). But I couldn't help but respond. I really hope you have the chance to chase some dogs soon, its a BLAST!

Azoutlaw,

You're right, I'm not a houndsman. But I've got common sense and I'm a considerate sportsman who DOES sympathize for your buddy. I really do. I also understand that lion hunting is unique but nothing in your story justified calling someone "unethical" or "unsportsmanlike".

I'm also not implying that notable hunters or cwt members have halos above their heads OR are always right and considerate. I'm not that naïve. But to anyone who suggests that defending a long time member OR friend over a newbie is a reason to stay away from a site is pretty ridiculous. A "free pass" to newbies making ignorant comments are handled pretty well on this site, IMO. But your claim wasn't ignorant, it was just unwarranted and unfounded.

And the sad thing is bear hunters are worse than lion hunters. A bear hunter will run his dogs right up beside yours then he will reach up and pull your pants down to trip you up as they run right past you to the tree. Haha. It is a tuff game.

Just my thoughts. I was not any part of it have never hunted with any involved and most Lilly never will. So. If I come across a lion track I do not just want to toss the dogs out on it. I will probably walk it out sways and have just a little look around. If I come across a track that has people tracks around it then I will just thing someone saw the track and wanted to check it out. If it has six sets of dog tracks running along with it I am not goi g to turn my dogs out on it. I know for sure if there is a truck at the o e end with peole and dog tacks on it I am not goi g to turn out on it.

So what if I turn my dogs out on a track. I donor see people or dog tacks o. Either side o the road. Sure not a truck parked next to it. Well along comes the guy that cut the track five miles back he comes up on my truck with marking of my dogs hot on the track. Some guys will pull of at that point. Then there are those that are going to stay on it.

Folks there are guys in the hound world that are the nicest guys around but i have run across those that will want to fight you at the tree. Saying this is there track and tree. Any ways I guess my point is. A track and the critter making it only belong to God and the State until it has a tag on it.

You guys are all right. Pretty much anything goes out there as long as you come out ahead. Who cares who you step on to get there. So stick up for your friends and make excuses for the things they do really makes no difference i guess in the grand scheme of things. Will get more details before i go any further with this but from what i know Andy knew this guy found this tom track twice already and still didnt care. So if you think that is right of him than good for you. I didnt expect much different than this along with BS excuses and story to make it look ok. Im sure if someone outside the CWT circle of friends did this to one of you guys he would be hung out to dry. Karma is a bitch for sure though. "ANDY THE GIANT SLAYER" ROTFLMAO

"Found a track" and "hunted a track" are two different things.

Thats the beauty of public land... Just because you"found" something doesn't mean squat. If he wasnt out on it with his hounds actively pursuing it with his dogs then who ever this other houndsman does not have a leg to stand on. There is no such thing as calling"dibbs" on public land. Call me unethical or what have you, but if I wanted to sit a tank and there was someones blind there (unoccupied of course) I would sit it in a heartbeat.

In my post I never said i thought anyone was right or wrong. Just how i would react to what i saw. If a guy came up to me and said he was hunting this track i would pull off the track. I have done this many times while hunting deer. My brother and I did this for some one deer hunting last year. They walked out on the road and let us know they hade two bucks bedded a few hundred yards up the road. and asked if we could hold off going up the road until they got a better look at them. We said no problem and went the other way. Respect is what i was raised to honor. So This situation between you and them can only be seen by the eyes and ears involved at the point of contact.

First coues was 80, You thought my comparison of track and tank was hilarious then two posts later you use the same example to back up your oppinion. What gives. here is the difference normaly in the hound biz you dont take a track that someone has already cut. Plain and simple, kinde like coming and sitting on a tank that you are on already. You said you would sit the tank if it was unoccupied well in the hound biz this track was "occupied" per say.

You should ad one more RIP

RIP Ethics.

So what is a guy suppose to do if he turns his hounds loose to run a kitty only to find out someone is on foot 2 canyons back chasing the same cat. His dogs caught up to the lion or came in from a different direction. Who's lion should it be ?

If this board is an indication of the general nature of hunting in areas favored by hunters with hounds it sounds like there should be a "hound-only" season. Too bad egos rule over common sense. What do you do when you find someone else after the same animal that you are after? Only you can answer that question. Myself, I can walk away knowing that is how the ball bounces. Apparently, others are in favor of drawing a circle and holding a "rasslin match" in it to see who gets the kill. If that is your attitude, I spit on you.

Someone going by the moniker " Coues n sheep" posted a topic titled "It has been bugging me........We need to hold to a higher standard" Although it is aimed at long range rifle shots the general principles discussed are right on target. Twist this post and apply it to any hunting, lions included, and you'll be a little better for it.