rabidApache

Trad. arrows apache style

I just completed a couple cane arrows for upcoming SC Tribal Javi hunt. They shoot and fly like darts, its no wonder why "Apaches" were deadly back in the day! ;) Enjoy. Anyone else on CWT hunt traditional?

Dwesarrows.jpg

A close up of my fleching job.

DwescanehuntNarrows.jpg

Very cool Dewey!! I am impressed! what kind of wood did you use? I see you said cane, but is it from the reservation?

Every thing I assembled together for the arrow shaft is off the rez. The cane came from a neighbors yard down the road from me. I don't know if this particular cane is native but I've read somewhere that Apaches sometimes would bring plants from other parts of the SW (Mexico) and plant them just for their tools/arrow building qualities. The foreshafts (arrow weed)is from Bylas springs.

I have been researching Apache bows and arrows quite a bit. Some from books and most from the Elders.

My next project is a hunting replica Mulberry Apache bow. It'll be quite the challenge because Apache bows were very short. Most apache bows were about 40-44" from nock to nock. Shorter the bow the more difficult to obtain legal hunting draw weight. But thats the challenge ;) .

Awesome arrows RabidApache, I hope your hunt's go well. I've shot a recurve for 20+years, bare finger's, no sight's, I use carbon arrow's now, but I used to shoot wood...

Oneshot....that is one awesome picture. That deer looks alive. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Dewey.....man did you do a great looking job on them arrows. Good luck with the bow and maybe you could take pictures as you progress from start to the finished product. That would be way cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Dewey:

Your arrows are beautiful! I admire your craftsmanship and your desire to truly go "traditional."

I have a couple of questions:

== Do you make your own arrowheads, too?

== If so, where do you find the flint, assuming that's what you use.

== Is that sinew you use on the fletching?

Bill Quimby

Incidentally, I suggest that you take photos and notes of all the steps of making and hunting with your bows, arrows, and other gear and use them to write a book after you've taken a few animals with them. I'll be happy to provide any help you need and buy your first copy.

Dewey you are a craftsman.

I agree with Bill Quimby's post and suggest that you take him up on his offer. He has credibility in the literary world that will give you a boost if you choose to write about this adventure.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that you can make a major contribution to your people and the preservation of your culture by creating a traditional bow, these arrows and by crafting some stone points. I am impressed that you have discussed this project with your tribal elders. They must be proud that you are interested in preserving the "old ways". Please continue along this path. It will prove invaluable to younger members of your tribe. It is truly sad that so many indigenous traditions, crafts and customs die with the elders. Carry the torch for the next generation and keep your proud heritage alive.

Nizhonii.... can't wait to see the bow. I've been shooting traditional Navajo bows for several years now. Always good to come across different styles of arrows/bows from neighbors to the south.

Very impressive! I love traditional it brings back the early memories of hunting on the navajo as a kid with my dad. More power to you, keep us updated on your kills and progress on bow and arrow building!!!!!

Very impressive! I love traditional it brings back the early memories of hunting on the navajo as a kid with my dad. More power to you, keep us updated on your kills and progress on bow and arrow building!!!!!

Thanks guys,

I've been very busy with work and all but once ya get into building arrows and bows its No limit what you can do. Its amazing that all you need is all around you, If you know what to look for.

Shooting Traditional/Primitive archery is just FUN. No sights, no fumbling with equip. and No excuses. You miss, it was you! Later fellas, I gotta try an stick a Gobbler. Hick Stick has 1 notch now..... I think it needs another.

Thanks guys,

I've been very busy with work and all but once ya get into building arrows and bows its No limit what you can do. Its amazing that all you need is all around you, If you know what to look for.

Shooting Traditional/Primitive archery is just FUN. No sights, no fumbling with equip. and No excuses. You miss, it was you! Later fellas, I gotta try an stick a Gobbler. Hick Stick has 1 notch now..... I think it needs another.

Good luck on your turkey hunt. Once again, like everyone else has already said, your craftsmanship is amazing. :)

TJ