Sign in to follow this  
BigBfever

buck with a hole in him already

So I was out chasing mule deer and came arcoss a fork that had a hole in him already. I did my best to get him on the ground but like most of my archery stalk it was blown by the does with him. This buck was arrowed (entered/exited) above the shoulder but under the spine and (exit or entered) low but high on the neck both holes were under the spine. There was no blood on him, and he move as if he wasn't even hurt. What are the chances of the buck surviving a wound like that? Will it get infected or do you think he would heal up? The buck was in 24b and if there is anyone on here that might have sent that arrow PM me and I'll give you a good starting point to looking for him.

How was he acting? Did he appear to be chasing the does? Was he limping? did he appear lethargic in any way? They are very strong animals that survive a lot. Unless he has substantial internal bleeding, which does not sound the case based on where you described, he might survive with little more than a healing hole or two.

That deer will survive. Where it was hit there is nothing but muscle. If the hole(s) where a little highier the chance of hitting the artery were great. Artery (s) run along or just below the spine (just a hair) so in my opinion he will survive.

Ernesto C

That deer will survive. Where it was hit there is nothing but muscle. If the hole(s) where a little highier the chance of hitting the artery were great. Artery (s) run along or just below the spine (just a hair) so in my opinion he will survive.

Ernesto C

I heard through the grapevine today that the buck was shot in the beginning of the December archery hunt. If he's made it a month and is acting normal then I think it's safe to say he's going to be alright.

I heard through the grapevine today that the buck was shot in the beginning of the December archery hunt. If he's made it a month and is acting normal then I think it's safe to say he's going to be alright.

thats about how old the wound looked. OneShot summed it up nicely.

Several years ago I was sitting in a blind on cut cornfield towards the end of the season and had a funky looking forkhorn come out. He was 3 and never got bigger than a small forkhorn so I figured I'd use my tag to take him out of the gene pool. He gave me a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards. Somehow I hit a little higher than I wanted but it was still a good hit....or so I thought. The arrow passed thru and he took off. 10 minutes later came back into the field! I sat and watched him chase does for the next 2 hours, but he never came close enough to offer me another shot. I recovered my arrow and there was blood on it but not the frothy lung blood I had expected. A month and a half later he got hit by a car in half mile down the road from the field. I went and looked and he had a perfect 3 blade scar on both the entry and exit but he was in perfect health, or was before the car hit him. All I could figure was I hit him in the small area between the top of the lung and bottom of the spine where theres really nothing vital.

Several years ago I was sitting in a blind on cut cornfield towards the end of the season and had a funky looking forkhorn come out. He was 3 and never got bigger than a small forkhorn so I figured I'd use my tag to take him out of the gene pool. He gave me a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards. Somehow I hit a little higher than I wanted but it was still a good hit....or so I thought. The arrow passed thru and he took off. 10 minutes later came back into the field! I sat and watched him chase does for the next 2 hours, but he never came close enough to offer me another shot. I recovered my arrow and there was blood on it but not the frothy lung blood I had expected. A month and a half later he got hit by a car in half mile down the road from the field. I went and looked and he had a perfect 3 blade scar on both the entry and exit but he was in perfect health, or was before the car hit him. All I could figure was I hit him in the small area between the top of the lung and bottom of the spine where theres really nothing vital.

Maybe next time you should try a Ford Taurus :D