azhuntnut

Official score

Well I got my bull scored this week by Chris Krueger. I was a little suprised to find out that the extra point between the fourth and fifth point on my bull could not be added to my score since it is considered abnormal by the pope and young rule book. So right away the bull lost almost 14 inches to his score. The gross Pope and Young score came out to 363 7/8, with 25 7/8 inches of deductions he will net score 338 0/8. Now if you added everything up the gross SCI score was 377 6/8. I think if a bull grows the horns, he deserves everything he's got. His G-1's were both 21 4/8 and the main beams were a little over 53 inches. David

Dsc09619.jpg

If they say that point is a abnormal point then he should be scored as a nontypical for P&Y so that he gets credit for all of that awesome bone ;)

Nice bull, I am assuming your getting him mounted? Should look good, and don't remove that "abnormal" point!

Personally I think any elk with more than 6 points is "abnormal" because I normally don't see anything bigger than 6x6. ;)

He's a beauty in my book.

Bret

When a animal has a non-typical point the animal can be scored both ways, typical and non-typical and P&Y suggests that the owner goes with the score that will have the animal entered the higher in the record book, not necessarily the highest score.

Congratulations! ;)

That is one fine Bull. Hope you have real high ceilings so you can display him.

Congratulations! :P

That is one fine Bull.  Hope you have real high ceilings so you can display him.

When I was at Chris's house we put the horns on a full sneak form and it was still to long. I think that a couple inches will have to be added to the form in order for it to fit on the wall. I already have a spot picked out in the house. David

I also think he should get credit for all he grows. heck of a bull any way you look at it! Show us some finished pics when he is mounted.

:P

I always go by the gross score of any animal I kill.I do not really care about record books. So when somebody tells me the gross score it is a way of knowing how much bone they grow.That is a awesome bull with great character.

Noel

points shmoints, that's a great bull no matter what the final score. Don't be disappointed, it takes the fun out of a great hunt and a great accomplishment.

If all the record books went away tomorrow, they would not be missed by me.

CONGRATS!

BTW, doesn't P&Y have a scoring system for non-typicals?

Pope and Young does have a non-typical section. The minimum score I think is 320, so it would fall into the lower part. I am very happy with this bull no matter where it falls in the book. I couldn't have asked for anything more. I am just excited that I made it into the book. I am taking advantage of the moment since I will probably never shoot a bull like this again. Thanks for the congrats, I truly appreciate it. David

Great job David! I can't shoot anything larger than 222" other wise it won't fit!

*Atleast....that's my excuse. :P

-Kenny "Bass"

Hey David, I had a client kill a nice bull on the late 5Bn hunt on Fri. and he's got a broken G5 on his right side. We can break that 14 inch extra off, and super glue it to his bull and both of your bulls will score 14 inches higher!!!!!!!!!! JK, I can't remember what I initially green scored your bull at, I'm curious how different it is now after the drying period? Someone else said it but I always use it, "NET'S ARE FOR FISH!" and give the animal credit for what he grew, but to make any book is always great, Congratulations again,

Jimmy M.