Sign in to follow this  
Girls Shoot Better

First Time Bow Hunter

I am a first time bow hunter. I have hunted with a rifle all my life but i always wanted a bow but never had the time until now. For christmas I got a PSE Stinger. Now that I have time to shoot does anybody have advice to become a better shooter. I am a 20 years old and yes I am a girl, so any info would be more than great.

If you want to be a better shooter then you might want to join a local archery club or take some lessons from an archery shop. I think it's neat that so many women are getting into archery. Check out Amanda's women's ham hunt that she sponsors. I don't know how to post up the link. Welcome to the site. :)

TJ

read randy ulmers website. www.randyulmer.com i have learned a lot from it.

Find an experianced acher ASAP and have them show you the ropes if you build bad form now it will be much harder to change it later ;)

Find an experianced acher ASAP and have them show you the ropes if you build bad form now it will be much harder to change it later ;)

this is the key have some one teach you how to shoot with good form then pratice consistanly. witch means that as soon as you start to get tired and form starts two slack stop and rest. thats how bad habits start. from there just have fun go two some of the 3d shoots ( they are a blast). if you live in the mesa area and know where bear mountian is i wouldnt mind helping you out.

Hello!

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I've been shooting a bow for about 2 years now. The first year was with a hand me down from my father-in-law that did not fit me at all. Early last year I bought a Mathews Passion. I practiced at least 4-5 days a week either shooting 20 yards in my backyard or going to the range in Chandler or Archery Headquarters shooting 20-50 yards. I had an instructor teach me once and my husband has shot a bow for a long time and he has helped me a lot. I started getting frustrated after about 5 months and I felt that I should be much better than I was. A guy at Archery Headquarters said something to me that really did fit. He said I was now shooting a top of the line bow and I needed time to grow into the bow (basically I needed to develop the skills required to accurately shoot my bow). I'd say it took me about 7-8 months of very consistent practice to actually be very comfortable with my bow and was able to shoot very well. My problem is I'm not the type who is satisfied with hitting a paper plate. I want to hit a quarter. I wanted to shoot as good as my husband. Yes I'm competitive.

I also studied a lot online about form, watched videos, etc. I also watched other shooters at the ranges. I don't think a bow is something that is mastered overnight but takes a lot of practice to get good at. One of my biggest problems was consistent anchor points. I used a kisser for awhile to help with this.

If you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to ask me. I'm no professional by any means but I am a girl who shoots a bow.