Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

Thanks for the help 450 yard sheep

Thanks CW for the long range help. I recently bagged a barbary sheep in New Mexico at 450 yards. Cold snowy hunt but a sheep hit the dirt. 300 win mag, 165 grain accubond right up the texas heart. Rest was a yucca cactus which worked rather well but cut the crap out of my hands.

TomSheep2.jpg

equipment report-

eberlestock X1. Very compfortable and the gun was accessable. Cons- water bladder will freeze solid when exposed to temps less than 10 degrees all day. Snow will pack in the gun barrel if the gun isn't taped or the weather cover isn't used.

Shooting sticks aren't as stable as yucca bushes.

Leica rangefinders won't read 500 yards in blowing snow.

Nikon Monarch mildot scope is bright, fogproof and works great. Having practiced to 600 yards I knew exactly where to put the dot.

Sheep meat is not edible. Barbary chaps are cool looking on live sheep but loose their luster up close.

Congrats!

Love your recounts at the end too!

Nice looking Aoudad Ram and great shot. I was bearing the miserable cold as well in New Mexico. Shot my ram at 430 yards.

why is it not edible? something specific to barbary sheep or shot placement or? :ph34r:

congrats on a nice aoudad! I heard that was a really cold tough hunt this year. looks like you toughed it out and made it pay off.

thanks for sharing pictures

-sam

The meat is so tough it needs to be ground into burger so such. It is really dark with a lot of sinew through. The sheep was fat but they store fat like a deer, on the outside of the meat. I raise black angus cattle so my tolerance for rank meat is low. Also, I killed an elk in November that isn't too bad and I have a freezer full.

Hey Chef, let's see your sheep.

I'm going to start a new thread here soon. (Other big game section)

We got the kill shot and an after harvest interview on video.

I have the interview and pictures uploaded, I'm just waiting for my

Buddy to send me the dvd of the kill shot. I may or may not be able

To convert it for youtube but I'm going to try.

I'm going to start a new thread here soon. (Other big game section)

We got the kill shot and an after harvest interview on video.

I have the interview and pictures uploaded, I'm just waiting for my

Buddy to send me the dvd of the kill shot. I may or may not be able

To convert it for youtube but I'm going to try.

Congrats guys!

Chef-

If you have trouble converting it, I recently downloaded some free software called Quick Media Converter that works pretty well for weird formats specific to some video cameras. It worked really well for me.

Congrats on the sheep.

I am definitely putting in for this hunt. Sounds like a lot of fun.

The meat is so tough it needs to be ground into burger so such. It is really dark with a lot of sinew through. The sheep was fat but they store fat like a deer, on the outside of the meat. I raise black angus cattle so my tolerance for rank meat is low. Also, I killed an elk in November that isn't too bad and I have a freezer full.

If it tasted like an old goat, it could be because aoudads are more closely related to goats than sheep. As proof of that, "Barbary sheep" can hybridize with goats, but not with sheep.

Bill Quimby

congrats on a nice aoudad! I heard that was a really cold tough hunt this year. looks like you toughed it out and made it pay off.

thanks for sharing pictures

-sam

awesome pics. what rifle??

Barbary sheep" can hybridize with goats, but not with sheep.

Which begets the creature known as......LARK.

The rifle is a Winchester model 70 classic with the big claw extractor and positive feed. It's in a Boyd stock. I had heck with the factory stock forend contacting the barrel. I wish I'd have spent the extra money on a Stocky's. My son-in-law has one and the finish is much better. The Boyd has 3/16" barrel channel clearance which looks goofy. That said the action is bedded with accraglass and the rifle is capable of 3/4" groups. It has a really thin barrel which heats up fast with each shot. It might not be Lark's farkiller but it works well enough for me.

Jim- they act way more like goats as well. We watched some on opening day eat the green and dead stalks off yuccas. The part they wanted was 5' high and they stood on their hind legs to eat, pretty amazing. Also, one would usually stand watch while the other grazed. They switched roles seamlessly as well.