copenhagenGDIB

how to get in shape for shed hunting

i have never gone shed hunting. my boyfriend told me its pretty strenuous. i cant keep up with him and he says just doing it will get me in shape but i dont want to pass out! im from montana...its way different here, super hot, dry...HOW DO I COPE! any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Just do some hiking somewhere everyday, even if it's just a 1/2 hour hike. Find some public land around your house and hike some of the hills or mtns and you will get in shape. You can always carry a backpack with some weight to make it more challenging if you like.

The #1 thing is boots.... boots you can walk in all day long without hot spots.... side hill, uphill, down hill... whatever. Second is having enough water and a few energy snacks... and a radio in case you get separated... the gps radios work best for horn hunting cuz it makes finding each other in the woods easier. As to being in shape doing it is the best way I just go push myself as hard as I can each day I am out there... I never prepare for it I just do the best I can and go prepared... cuz I learned a few hard lessons about preparedness.

I like to pace the floor alot before a shed hunting trip, sometimes doing miles a day

JK, well not realy

the question-Shed hunting /hiking itself can get you in good shape..and I agree with Amanda n Gino... Some good comfortable boots/pack and start near the house. Or u can do jumping jacks infront of your computer...whatever floats ur boat. If u have a gps/radio and can use it thats GOOD, otherwise it's not good to separate in the woods for a newbie, helicopters get called and stuff....Do what your comfortable with.. Be safe and have fun, If your not in better shape before shed hunting you will be after.. two pairs of sox on keeps the blisters down for me.. n I also agree, lot's of water/lunch n snacks

Slow down and give your eyes time to look around! No need to try and keep up, just keep moving at your own pace and don't try to make a race out of it.

I walk on the treadmill with my pack on and the incline all the way up and go on hikes whenever I can but there is too much snow up here to do that right now. I also do the p90x plyometics workout a lot. I think it helps a lot for hiking.

Anything with an elevated heart rate, for a period of time, at the elevation you are gonna be at will help. You could also be a shed finding machine and convince him to slow down.

i have never gone shed hunting. my boyfriend told me its pretty strenuous. i cant keep up with him and he says just doing it will get me in shape but i dont want to pass out! im from montana...its way different here, super hot, dry...HOW DO I COPE! any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Just get a quad... ;)

I have found that looking harder is better than hiking farther!!! Concentrate on an area and cover every square foot. It has been more productive for me. I had a buck I wanted the sheds from that always stayed in a specific location. We spent two days on the same hill side within a four hundred yard square and found sheds both days. depending on which way we were doing transects seemed to give different angles and found sheds were we had not before. especially with coues sheds it seems that you almost have to be right on top of them. Sure you see a few from a distance but most times I don't see them until almost standing on them!!!

I cant believe no one has said this yet... So I'll state the obvoious....

Date some one fat and slow, like me!

Take my advise with a grai of salt (minus the above advise) as I am a big dude.. Always have been and always will be BUT I have always been able to run, hike, etc better than most my size.

Like Youngbuck said, anything to get your heartrate up for any lenght of time. When I was trainging to go into the academy I would run about a mile and a half or so hard. When that got to easy, I started running with a camelback on... Then I added weight to the camelback... By the time I went to the academy I was running with my back pack on, 25 lbs worth or weight and still running the mile and a half in under the time needed to pass the academy... At the academy I finished 6th in my class on the run...

All I really do now is run on the treadmill with a slight incline... 2.5-3 for 20-25 minutes and it whoops my arse right fine.