Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Leupold VX-III help with a decision

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a new scope and seriously considering the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x with B&C reticle. I have a couple questions. One is...can I get away with the 40mm or should I get the 50mm. And the other is do I want to spend the extra money to get the Long range model with parralax adjustment? Is it worth it?

Will the 50mm scope require me to mount it higher than the 40mm? I have read that it does not.

And will the B&C reticle work for my handloads? I am using a .270 130gr but the velocity is 3140 ft/sec and on the Leupold chart they say the .270 130gr velocity is 3050 ft/sec. So I am wondering if the crosshairs for the various ranges will be on for my load once I sight it in for 200 yards. Hope you guys can understand my question here....

Who among you guys has this scope and what kind of reviews can you provide?

Thanks for your input.

Amanda

Amanda,

I can't help with the reticle, but both of my .270's have VariX-III's with adjustable objectives. One is a 3.5-10x50mm and the other is 4.5-14x50mm. They do sit higher than a 40mm. Depends on the rifle. On my Ruger, I had to put extra high rings to get it to clear the barrel. My Winchester I was able to get away with medium. I have a 40mm on my daughters .22-250. After looking the the 50's all the time. I really do like them better. They are also much easier to see through in low light as well.

Personally I think the 50mm is over kill. I have never had a problem with low light conditions, "legal hunting hours", with my 40mm scopes. You will have to mount the 50mm higher which depending on the stock on your rifle may raise you cheek off the stock to get a clear picture thru the scope. As far as the scope I have heard good things about that model and you can't go wrong with a Leupold. As far as the crosshairs, you will probably have to shoot your load at different distances to see were each crosshair is dead on at once sighted in.

My 2 cents, hope it helps a little.

The 50mm is the way to go in my mind. You will get that much more light in and it will make all the difference I noticed it from my uprade from a 3-9x32 to my 4.5-14x42.

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a new scope and seriously considering the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x with B&C reticle.  I have a couple questions.  One is...can I get away with the 40mm or should I get the 50mm.  And the other is do I want to spend the extra money to get the Long range model with parralax adjustment?  Is it worth it? 

Will the 50mm scope require me to mount it higher than the 40mm?  I have read that it does not. 

And will the B&C reticle work for my handloads?  I am using a .270 130gr but the velocity is 3140 ft/sec and on the Leupold chart they say the .270 130gr velocity is 3050 ft/sec.  So I am wondering if the crosshairs for the various ranges will be on for my load once I sight it in for 200 yards.  Hope you guys can understand my question here....

Thanks for your input.

Amanda

Hi Amanda, I'm not very knowledgeable about balistic stuff, but I did just buy that exact scope for my .270. I debated on the 50mm also but went with the 40mm because it does seem overkill, and a little more expensive. I have a VX-II in the 50mm on a 22-250 and love it but couldn't justify the extra money this time for my .270. The reticle works with the power settings to use the extra crosshairs. There is a large triangle mark at the 14X setting which you use for faster loads and a smaller triangle mark at about the 11X setting which you use for slower heavier loads. I believe if you use the extra crosshairs, you have to shoot on these settings, otherwise there not accurate. You do sight this scope in zero at 200 and then everything falls into place as long as you use the right triangle mark " power setting" for the load you are shooting. I did that, using 130 grain ballistic tips out of the box, and use the big triangle mark at 14 power for use of the extra marks and it is accurate like it says. So 200 yrds or less you can use any power setting and it works with the main crosshair, if you use any other lower mark, you have to raise the power to either 11X or 14X to be accurate. I love this scope and I am definitely alot more accurate with it. A rangefinder is a must along with this scope and is deadly! hope this helps a little, JIM

Personally, after using a 50 mm scope and then a 40 mm scope I would never go back to 40 mm. I have a 50 mm Leupold on my Ruger M77 7 Mag and do not have to use higher mounts but when I got a bull barrel gun I could not use the 50 mm scope. I got a 40 mm scope and did not really like it. I found a Nikon 44 mm scope this summer, picked it up and used it this fall. I like it almost as much as the 50 mm and a lot more than the 40 mm. Paralax adjustments are also nice to have. Both my Weaver 40 mm and my Nikon 44 mm scope have it. Can't help you much with the recitle or ballistic questions. Good luck. CB

50mm objectives and 30mm tubes were started with the european companies to make the scopes brighter, though 30mm tubes really do not, because they can hunt at night over there. During legal hunting hours over here I do not think they warrant the extra money. I personally think they are to bulky and don't look good atop a rifle.

Again just my 2 cents.

50mm objectives and 30mm tubes were started with the european companies to make the scopes brighter, though 30mm tubes really do not, because they can hunt at night over there. During legal hunting hours over here I do not think they warrant the extra money. I personally think they are to bulky and don't look good atop a rifle.

Again just my 2 cents.

Amanda,

I agree with most of what deerslam says. I don't think they are too bulky as most of my scopes are 6x20 types. I think if you are shooting at 400yds and in the 4.5x14 is great. If you are looking at these ranges I would sight my gun in at 3.5" high at 100yds and shoot at 200, 300, and 400. I think you will find that all you have to do is put the crosshairs on the animal out to 325ish and adjust accordingly to 400yds. I spot and stalk so my target is identified so I'm not jump shooting animals. This would be the only issue with a 3.5" sightin. To clarify my position I own many expensive scopes. I do not see any light advantage with the 50mm objectives. I have had light gathering issues with my 8x32x56 Nightforce. With a scope in the 4.5x14 range glass quality is the most important issue. I currently own Zeiss, Swarovski, Leupold, Fuginon, Leica scopes in this catagory. I have looked through 1" and 30mm, 40mm to 56mm ob lens in the field and the clarity with good quality scopes to 400yds IMO is plenty good enough. Having said this of your choices I would do the 40mm ob scope. For the money the Zeiss Conquest is the brightest scope I have used. I do own several leupolds and they are good also. I have a 4.5x14 Zeiss and it is brighter in the field than my Leupolds. I also have a Swarovski 6x18TDS the is incredible. When I look through them in the stores they all look good but out in the field you can see the difference. I also find that on bright windy days I have to turn my scopes down to 10x to get clarity. If you are shooting at deer size and larger targets at <400yds I don't think the rangefinding reticle is necessary. I do carry a rangefinder with me. Technically the 40mm will mount closer to the bore and you will have less parallax. I could go on but I would need to know more about the specific use of your rifle. If you want any more information email or call me.

pollohombre

928-645-2172

PS The rookie hunters we took on our Nov hunt shot a 7STW with a 6.5x20 sighted in at 3.5" high at 100yds. They took there deer at 376 and 377yds. All we did was tell them to put the crosshairs at the top 2" of the deers back. In the heat of the moment it is important to keep it simple.

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a new scope and seriously considering the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x with B&C reticle.  I have a couple questions.  One is...can I get away with the 40mm or should I get the 50mm.  And the other is do I want to spend the extra money to get the Long range model with parralax adjustment?  Is it worth it? 

Will the 50mm scope require me to mount it higher than the 40mm?  I have read that it does not. 

And will the B&C reticle work for my handloads?  I am using a .270 130gr but the velocity is 3140 ft/sec and on the Leupold chart they say the .270 130gr velocity is 3050 ft/sec.  So I am wondering if the crosshairs for the various ranges will be on for my load once I sight it in for 200 yards.  Hope you guys can understand my question here....

Thanks for your input.

Amanda

Amanda,

I have the exact scope you bring up in conversation and I really have enjoyed it for both my Elk and Coues hunts which were successful.

The scope that I currently have on my Weatherby .30-.378 is not the long range adjustable model, but it is the Vari-X III with Boone & Crockett reticle. The scope has the 40mm objective due to the fact that it would sit too high to comfortably shoot for me if the scope had a 50mm objective.

As to how accurate the B&C reticle would be for your specific loads, I cannot help you with this particular question.

Best of luck!!

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a new scope and seriously considering the Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x with B&C reticle.? I have a couple questions.? One is...can I get away with the 40mm or should I get the 50mm.? And the other is do I want to spend the extra money to get the Long range model with parralax adjustment?? Is it worth it??

Will the 50mm scope require me to mount it higher than the 40mm?? I have read that it does not.??

And will the B&C reticle work for my handloads?? I am using a .270 130gr but the velocity is 3140 ft/sec and on the Leupold chart they say the .270 130gr velocity is 3050 ft/sec.? So I am wondering if the crosshairs for the various ranges will be on for my load once I sight it in for 200 yards.? Hope you guys can understand my question here....

Thanks for your input.

Amanda

Amanda,

I have the VX III 4.5-14 X 40 that doesn't have the adjustable front objective. It

was purchased to save weight ( as well as money) over the long range version. 13.2 oz vs 15.4 oz.

The intent was to have a bit more magnification over what I feel is the most useful VX III they build, the 3.5-10 x 40. Unfortunately the scope does have a flaw.

The focus is not perfect at all distances when it is set on 14X. It isn't that bad but it is noticeable. I ended up moving the rear objective to get crystal clear viewing at 100 yds on 14X and probably won't use it on max setting while hunting. I picked that arangement to work up loads. Most hunting situations you don't need much more than 10X anyway. It is clear up to about 12X. If I had to do it over I would more than likely get another 3.5-10 x 40 VX III. All the fixed objectives I have looked through that were 10X or less never showed the focus problem as the 4.5-14 x 40 did. It is just one of those compromises in design.

As for getting a 50 mm front objective it is your choice. The drawback is that it requires higher rings to clear the barrel AND will have you putting you face higher on the stock to look through it. Unless the stock is designed with a higher cheek piece could be an unnatural position. If you go to Sportsman's warehouse you can use their scope holding stock and see how high you have to place your face on the stock. If you are of medium stature or smaller it will not help your shooting one bit.

As for using any type of stadia, like the B and C setup.....first of all the distances between them changes with magnification! Second they will NEVER exactly match your trajectory. A good ballistics program is needed to get a clue on what your load is going to do. When the elevation or the environmental conditions change so does your trajectory. The stadia can be a good reference point. You will have to shoot it at a variety of distances to see where the bullets really impact.

The better way to set up a scope for stadia would be to send it out to Premier Reticle AFTER you know your trajectory and let them install stadia to match. This will work better BUT what if things change with your pet load and you have to make another load? Then you are back to figuring out where the bullet will impact with each stadia. AND don't forget it will change with different magnification settings.

--Ross

Amanda, like a told ya in the PM, i don't care for 50mm scopes. too big and bulky and the center is farther from the bore. this does affect accuracy. and i prefer dot reticles. 50 mm scopes might give you another 5 minutes per day of light. but when it's dark, it's dark. doesn't matter how big your scope is. but that's my opinion. and like i keep tellin' alla ya'lls, i know everthing. Lark.

Amanda,

I just put that scope (VXIII 4.5-14x40 B&C) on a new 22-250, but have not worked up loads for the rifle so have not had a chance to use the B&C system. The large triangle is marked at 14 power, so you cannot turn it higher to match a flatter cartridge and use the 200 yard zero. As was said earlier, you would have to zero at 200 yards with your load and see where the bullet impacts at longer ranges when using the lower aiming marks. If you had a load in between the A and slower B groups, you could determine through trial and error where to turn the magnification ring between the two triangles to match your load.

With big game shots around 400 yards, I would not bother with the parallax adjustment. If you were to shoot small, long range targets like prairie dogs, with your 270, I would get the PA.

I'd get the 40mm objective. Depending in the barrel contour and scope positioning, you might be able to use low rings and get your face down and reduce recoil slap to the cheek. BTW, Leupold is coming out with a new Eclipse scope in 2006 where the bottom of the objective bell and lens is scalloped out to fit closer to the barrel.

The option I would consider (in addition to or in lieu of the B&C) is to use the elevation adjustment dials as target turrets. The adjustment dials on the new VXIII are finger adjustable. With any load and a ballistics program, you can determine what elevation to adjust your scope for any range and condition. Turning the turret/dials can be done quickly in the field. A scope with target turrets is not necessary.

Doug~RR

Amanda,

A lot of people think that a 50mm will gather more light than a 40mm but it all boils down to the main tube of the scope. It doesn't matter how big the lense is on the end of the scope that is letting light in but rather the part of the scope that is transfering that light to your eye. The 30mm main tube of a scope with a 50mm lense will gather/transfer more light than a 1" main tube will with the same 50mm lense. Sooo if your heart is set on the VXIII then I believe they offer that scope with the 30mm main tube if you buy the long range version. If they don't, go with Leupolds LPS 3.5-14. That scope is awsome. You can still do your MOA adjustments and click it back to your exact zero point everytime, just like you can with the target turrets that way you can utilize your drop charts.

Chris Jacob

Amanda,

I have the same scope with the 40m. My dad send's his scopes back east to a guy who puts crosshair's in them. It is a very sophisticated system. You have to use only one load for this system. Also you have to chronagraph your rifle.And you tell him the average elevation you will be hunting at. Long story short ,I used one of his rifles a few years ago and shot a whitetail out of his bed at 597 yards. If anybody is interested I can get this guy's telephone number from my dad.

Noel

Amanda,

A lot of people think that a 50mm will gather more light than a 40mm but it all boils down to the main tube of the scope.  It doesn't matter how big the lense is on the end of the scope that is letting light in but rather the part of the scope that is transfering that light to your eye.  The 30mm main tube of a scope with a 50mm lense will gather/transfer more light than a 1" main tube will with the same 50mm lense.  Sooo if your heart is set on the VXIII then I believe they offer that scope with the 30mm main tube if you buy the long range version.  If they don't, go with Leupolds LPS 3.5-14.  That scope is awsome.  You can still do your MOA adjustments and click it back to your exact zero point everytime, just like you can with the target turrets that way you can utilize your drop charts. 

Chris Jacob

Everything I have ever read is, the larger the objective, the more light gathering power it has. Tube size shouldn't mater since the light at some place is brought to a focal point and doesn't travel straight in the tube.