CouesWhitetail

New Hunting Opportunity in Mexico!

Cramer,

Hi, I'm the ranch owner. As Amanda said, this will be our first year offering coues deer to hunters. We have plenty of deer, but nobody in my family is a hunter and had concentrated on cattle raising and lumber production. We're offering an unusual package: 55,000 acres of private virgin territory with Mexico's best service and accomodations (we were included in the book "The Top 100 Most Beautiful Rustic Vacations of North America"), according to clients' testimonials ( http://www.ranchodurango.com/eng/testimonios.html ). The downside is that we can't show you a history of deer harvested, so you have to trust us when we say that we have a lot to offer for what we're charging. We need to get testimonials that match the excelent ones from our turkey hunters.

On your questions, all you need to bring back the deer yourself is your contract signed with us (registered Mexican outfitters) and the tag, or permit, that will go attached to the antlers. At the ranch, we will clean the skull perfectly and freeze the cape for you to bring back. These are U.S. requirements at the border.

This being our first year, I'll forgo the transportation cost from the airport and only charge one day of rifle rent (270s, 300s). We have a range where you can "get acquainted" with the rifles.

Mike/Deerslam,

I know it's late, but you can avoid the hassle of bringing your gun by renting the ones at the ranch. It's $50 dls. for all your hunting days as a promotion this first year.

Alonso

Alonso,

Are your hunts going to be self-guided, partially self-guided, or fully guided? What will the ratio of hunters to guide be? Are your rifles equipped with good optics? What are the dates available for January? When is the hunter required to fly in and when would he fly out?

Sorry for so many questions, its just that I am serriously thinking about this as an option.

Phil

Alonso,

Are your hunts going to be self-guided, partially self-guided, or fully guided? What will the ratio of hunters to guide be? Are your rifles equipped with good optics? What are the dates available for January? When is the hunter required to fly in and when would he fly out?

Sorry for so many questions, its just that I am serriously thinking about this as an option.

Phil

Phil,

The hunts are going to be fully guided (one on one).

The rifles have good telescopes.

In January, we have 2 hunters from Colorado coming on the 4th. You could coincide with them if you like, or come later. Why don't we discuss this over the phone? My number is (956) 242-4257.

Alonso

What will the main methods of hunting be? Glassing open hill sides a mile away or stalking through the trees hoping to jump a deer? In general what is the type of terrain on the ranch? If you don't have pictures of deer perhaps you could post some pictures of the terrain and landscape to give us a better idea what type of hunt it would be.

Thanks.

TAM I have asked that same question of Alonso. The ranch has a variety of terrain and vegetation. I think it is going to be limited glassing, they suggested that some of the canyons you can glass 300-600 meters. So I don't think it's the kind of country that lends itself to miles of glassing. Maybe Alonso will add more information about this.

Also, I have called many of the references they gave me and all the people who have hunted the ranch (for turkeys) say it's the best place they have ever hunted in terms of game and accomodations and service. They all rave about it and have gone back multiple times. And I can tell you that one of the partners in this business is the president of the US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce, NE Mexico. This seems to be a very high quality operation.

Because so many people have asked about the size of the deer they have, Alonso asked the guide to go shoot one and score it. The gross score of that buck was about 117 inches! He is trying to get the pictures to me to post here. The guide says it was a big one, but not the biggest they have. I am looking forward to seeing pictures.

If you are interested in this hunt, call Alonso and talk to him about it.

Amanda

What will the main methods of hunting be?  Glassing open hill sides a mile away or stalking through the trees hoping to jump a deer?  In general what is the type of terrain on the ranch?  If you don't have pictures of deer perhaps you could post some pictures of the terrain and landscape to give us a better idea what type of hunt it would be.

Thanks.

There's all kinds of terrain in the 55,000 acres of the ranch, but in general, there's limited glassing. The 117 6/8 in. Coues that was harvested a few days ago was shot in an open field, from a tree stand, at a distance of about 110 yards.

You can see some pictures of the ranch in the following link: http://www.ranchodurango.com/eng/fotos.html#

Alonso

Here are some measurements from the buck, as taken by the guide and a mexican biologist. They only measured the left antler.

inside spread = 12 7/8

main beam = 14 6/8

1st point = 3 7/8

2nd point = 6 2/8

3rd point = 6 5/8

4th point = 4 2/8

1st circum = 4 6/8

2nd circum = 4 3/8

3rd circum = 3 6/8

4th circum = 3 6/8

You can see in the pics he is a 4x4 plus eyeguards. Has good mass, but a somewhat narrow spread.

Amanda

I am hunting with EL Halcon in two weeks and it less money, by over $1000

and I get more Days .

Blaserman,

If I'm reading your post right your only paying $ 2,750 to hunt with El

Halcon. Ihunted with them in 03 and I know they were more money than that.

Desertsheep

Here are some measurements from the buck, as taken by the guide and a mexican biologist.  They only measured the left antler.

inside spread = 12 7/8

main beam = 14 6/8

1st point = 3 7/8

2nd point = 6 2/8

3rd point = 6 5/8

4th point = 4 2/8

1st circum = 4 6/8

2nd circum = 4 3/8

3rd circum = 3 6/8

4th circum = 3 6/8

You can see in the pics he is a 4x4 plus eyeguards.  Has good mass, but a somewhat narrow spread. 

Amanda

Heck, I ain't going now my buck is dead <_<

I would NOW :lol: if I could. You know because we see this type of deer in open field at 110 yards away all the time :lol:

<_<

How sweet, if you just put up some corn feeders and more box blinds it will be just like the deer slaughter that goes on during "Hunting The Country" and "Realtree Outdoors" every Sunday on ESPN. How sweet, no more hiking around, I can chuck these boat anchor 15X binos giant backpack and tripod, start loading up on extra Krispy Kremes and Double Bacon Cheeseburgers and Chocolate Milks! It ain't too hard to shimmy up a ladder into heated box. Box blinds in fields and under feeders here I come! Does B&C actually recognize these things as real coues yet because it sounds too good to be true....

Bret M.

Bret,

I don't think the open field he mentioned was a corn field, I think it's an old pasture for cows. And I don't think they are using feeders of any kind. But Alonso can address that if I am in error.

No, B&C hasn't yet changed their boundary for Coues deer. They were supposed to address it at a recent board meeting, but they got into too many other issues and were unable to cover this topic. However, I have spoken with B&C about it and they don't forsee any problem with recognizing these as Coues Deer. And they expect to allow deer killed before their meeting to be recognized as Coues Deer if they are taken within what they determine is their new boundary.

I have attached an image that the shows the boundaries of the subspecies in Mexico.

Amanda

post-1-1134659571.jpg