There was a place close to my home in cochise county full of rock paintings, they weren't heiroglyphs but they were paintings, i think they are call petroglyphs. I never got to see them because by the time i was born some idiots spray painted all over them. I have found a lot of petroglyphs in the area though. I love indian artifacts and the heritage related to all of it.

creed

native graffitti is cool stuff. that devil lookin' dude with the horns is pretty creepy. i've only seen one other one like that. wonder what it is? and to alla you jerks sayin' i did it, i did not. we all the modern stuff, like sundials and stuff when i was kid. Lark.

If you look at Mike Fabritz's link to his art site, and go to the antelope section you will see a petroglyph piece with an antelope. That is an actual pannel out at Wupatki Natnl monument. It's a way cool pannel. It has big goats and little goats and a bowhunter. I asked one of the guys on the hike if he thought the ancient

artist was depicting large and small animals or using perspective, showing that the herd was spread out while running past the hunter. He said early man wasn't capable of using perspective. I dissagree. The Bible is 1 to 5000 years older than this petroglyph, and it is loaded with perspective!

Also one of the larger goats has 5 legs!! I figure the artist was an early Speilburg - animation in rock!!

The group on this hike came across one of the hundreds of pictures - a depiction of a girl with pig tails and breasts. The group was giving their interpretation of what they thought the meaning of the rendering was. The interpretations were wild and concerned spirits and shamans. Finally I could't stand it any more and said, "Maybe this girl was the village cutie, and her boyfriend did her portrait."

Nobody knows this stuff because there was no written language in this part of the world back then. Maybe they were celestial, maybe they were spiritual, or maybe they were just common folk drawing pictures about everyday life.

Mike

Nobody knows this stuff because there was no written language in this part of the world back then. Maybe they were celestial, maybe they were spiritual, or maybe they were just common folk drawing pictures about everyday life.

Mike

I've always figured they were both spiritual and historical. Some marked places that the makers held sacred; while other told stories of what happened at that camp. Nobody knows, so one guess is as good as another. I do know that I've found a lot of symbols of bighorns in places where there haven't been sheep in recorded history ... like the Salt River Canyon and the Huachuca Mountains. I've seen what I'm sure are deer, antelope and rabbits, too. What I've never seen are symbols of elk. I'd be very interested in knowing if any exist in Arizona.

Bill

There are deer, antelope, sheep, lions and elk at a site on the Little Colorado near Woodruff.

Mike

Amanda, I can't believe in all of your outings that is the first time you've ever seen them. Up here around northern AZ I see them nearly every time I go out. First thing I do is get a big sharp rock and write my signature across all of them! I hate those things. I'm totally kidding!!!!!!

Here's one I found about a week ago of a mountain lion. It's the first one I've ever seen of a lion. I found one of a Coues deer before too, I'll see if I can find those pics.

post-3-1133928192.jpg

Amanda, I can't believe in all of your outings that is the first time you've ever seen them.  Up here around northern AZ I see them nearly every time I go out.

post-3-1133928192.jpg

Josh: Have you ever seen an elk petroglph in Arizona, especiallly in our present elk habitat? I've been told none has ever been found. Significant numbers of elk bones and antlers supposedly are missing from dig sites, too.

Bill

Nice photos,

I have stumbled upon quite a few ruins while hunting. Have only seen petroglyphs once though.

That kind of stuff has always facinated me, when I see a ruin, I wonder what it was like right where I'm standing back in there day and how tough it was for them to make a living.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill, No I've never seen any petros with elk in them. I'll find that Coues buck one, one of these days. In that same draw I took a pic of a mule deer petro that was ENORMOUS! You gotta wonder if it was exaggerated or if it was a close rendering of the animal. They are in Govt Canyon in unit 8 if anyone cares, I'll give more info if anyone is serious about checking them out. The Coues and muley are there in that draw. It's a long hike, maybe 125 yards off the road.

Those are great photos, Amanda and Josh! Makes me wish I took pictures of the stuff I've run across over the years. I've found more Indian artifacts, ruins and drawings in unit 21 than anywhere else. Any canyon seems to have something. The canyons around Sunset point are loaded with ruins and drawings. The Whitetank mtns. near Phoenix are loaded as well. I've found a lot of sheep, lizards, snakes and poeple images carved in rock there. I've never found any that looked like elk. I did find, and have a pic somewhere, two sets of dinosaur tracks in the flats west of Raymond ranch in 5bnorth. They looked like big raccon tracks except the toes weren't as long. One big set, about the size of your hand, and one smaller set, half the size, walking side by side. They were in a large semi flat rock area that was uncovered by a wash. I'll find the pic and post it here. Neat stuff! JIM

There are deer, antelope, sheep, lions and elk at a site on the Little Colorado near Woodruff.

Mike

Mike:

If you ever get back to the Woodruff petro sites, would you get a photo of the elk drawings for me?

Bill

I couldn't find that picture of the Coues petryglyph but you can sorta see it from this pic. It's in the left part of the picture. Notice the others on the right too.

post-3-1134358215.jpg

Here's a cropped version of that pic. Looks like he's wearing boots.

post-3-1134358441.jpg

This is my wife Jennifer, back in '95, blocking the sun so I could get a better shot of the giant muley buck.

post-3-1134358622.jpg