Sign in to follow this  
308Nut

Knight KRB7?

Any opinions on the Knight KRB7 muzzleloader?

I am in the market for a new ML and have NO clue where to start. I have handled several and like the feel, fit and function of the KRB7. I have heard a few complaints about ignition? Some think it is a primer selection problem. The last thing I want to do is have a FUBAR with a bull in the sights. What do you all think?

I am a COMPLETE muzzleloader virgin.

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Not familiar with that one, but I have a Knight Long Range Hunter that I am happy with. The Green Mountain barrels on Knight are very good, and everyone I know how shoots Knight likes the accuracy. The ignition system on mine is more standard bolt/inline with the disk system you put the #209 primer in.

Of course, one downside to Knight is they are no longer in business, so if you need parts, they may be hard to find.

Good luck!

:) I don't know what you should buy, but you better start practicing. September gets here quick :P :D :)

No kidding!

I will be ordering one this week. The good new is they are NOT like my rifles. They are dirt cheap. 350-700 bucks buys a decent smoke pole. I will be using the Mark4 scope on it (3 times the cost of the stick!) :D You know me, I will be milking every bit of usefull range so long as there is adequete energy retained.

:) I don't know what you should buy, but you better start practicing. September gets here quick :P :D :)

No kidding!

I will be ordering one this week. The good new is they are NOT like my rifles. They are dirt cheap. 350-700 bucks buys a decent smoke pole. I will be using the Mark4 scope on it (3 times the cost of the stick!) :D You know me, I will be milking every bit of usefull range so long as there is adequete energy retained.

I have one of those and i like it just fine. It takes a little getting used to when you put the primer in because it is a little tight but once you get that down you are golden. killed two pigs with it and a mule deer--farthest shot was 135 yards on one of the pigs--the deer was only 65 yards and the other pig was 87 yards. One shot one kill on each. I shoot 150 grains of Shocky Gold Pellets and a regular .209 primer--no triple 7's or higher energy type--this is when you get an ignition problem. I shoot the T/C shock-wave bullets in 250 grains--good luck!

I don't own a Knight, but here nothing but good things about them. I shoot a CVA. Muzzle loading is addicting.

Well since you asked :D

Have you determined which projectile (type, brand, construction) you want to try first?

Every one / rifle has their favorite. Muzzle loading rifles aren't like center fires from the stand point of a .308 is a .308. I've seen .50 cal ML bores run anywhere from .499 to .508. Finding the right combination of Bullet / powder / charge is part of the fun.

Under type of projectile you have Conical's and Saboted Bullets. I like them both but prefer conicals bullet-to-bore design. No sabot just makes it one less thing to be concern about. For conicals, I've shot (like / had good results with) Parker Traditional's and Hydro-Cons, No Lead Thor's, and the old stand by's Powerbelts. For Saboted bullets, Parker also puts out a traditional and Hydro-Con, Barnes, Extreme Elite's, Harvester PT Gold's, and T/C Shockwaves. Again I have had really good accuracy results from all of these projectiles.

For Sabots, Harvester puts out a line called Crushed Ribbed Sabots. I've gotten easier loading with some of the bullets by using these. Your muzzle loader will tell you which it likes better.

For powder. This can be a hotly debated topic in the forms. Some of the newer powders have more energy and keep your bore cleaner for more follow on shots without swabbing the barrel. Most modern muzzle loaders are rated for 150 grs of powder. That figure is based on Black Powder or Black Powder Substitute (BPS), but not all BPS are of equal energy. For example, Pyrodex is defined by Hodgdon's as a "synthetic black". Pyrodex is lighter in weight than blackpowder and weighs only about 70% as much as blackpowder. However, because Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder, the same volume of Pyrodex gives similar performance to blackpowder.

Triple Seven and Triple Seven Magnum both are higher energy products. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. Triple Seven Magnum for 50 caliber rifles only comes in 60gr pellets. Do not shoot more than 2 pellets (120grs).

Problem with Pure Black and some of the earlier BPS is it fouls your barrel so badly that you won't get more than two shots without swabbing the barrel. Though I think its great that I can shoot 15 rounds with IMR White Hots or Blackhorn 209, in the field how many shots are you going to take on an deer?

Of the newer powders that I have tried (American Pioneer Powder Sticks, Black Horn 209, White Hots) each has there goods and bads. APP Sticks gave me hunter accuracy for the most part but every once in awhile I got a flier. The sticks are packaged in a container with Styrofoam pellets. Unfortunately, they still get banged around and loose some powder. If you ever looked at the bottom of the container once all of the pellets have been used you'll see an "amount" of loose powder.

I like White Hots. They have given me good energy, consistent performance, clean, easy to ignite; unfortunately, they are pellets so you can tune you load for optimal performance. Enter Blackhorn 209. BH209 by Western Powders is a BPS that starts to encroach on the make up of a smokeless powder. You never want to shoot more than 120 grs of BH209 in any modern muzzle loader unless the manufacture has rated that rifle for more than 150 grs of Black (look up Bad Bull Muzzle loaders). I had two problem's with the powder when it first came out. First, I couldn't get more than 3 loads without having to swab the barrel. Second, after the second shot, I often experienced hang fires. Both of these problems were really due to a badly fouled barrel. After working with Western, I found out that I can't shoot less than 90 grs of powder and I needed to run a hotter primer. Because its so close to smokeless, Western told me to run a hotter primer with the size of the loads. Think of it as running a charge greater than 65 grs in a center fire cartridge, you'll need / want a magnum primer.

Because BH209 is a loose powder, one can tune their charge compared to pellets.

I have to go. But have fun with your new toy. Post if you have any other questions.

I have settled on the TC bone collector with the 290 TMZ over 115 grains of BH209 powder under the CCI 209 primer. Getting awesome accuracy and consistency out of it.

thanks,

I am in the market for a new ML and have NO clue where to start. I have handled several and like the feel, fit and function of the KRB7. I have heard a few complaints about ignition? Some think it is a primer selection problem. The last thing I want to do is have a FUBAR with a bull in the sights. What do you all think?

Since I have gathered from many of your very knowledgeable post on guns....you demand top gear. I watched the "Best of the West" show last week and if money was no object I would get a muzzle loader from http://badbullmuzzleloaders.com/ ....but you can see the cost.

BUT with that being said, I know nothing about the Knight, but I do use a Thompson Center Omega with a Nikon Omega BDC scope and really like it. I shoot Blackhorn 209, 120 grains (volume), Thompson Center Super Glide 250 grain, Remington primers. Haven't hunted all that much with it, but shot a nice mulley and a javillina. Recent practice showed that I can use/group the BDC at 200 yds (still got to try the 250 and 300 yds marks).

The Omega is very easy to clean and the breach plug can be removed in a snap, Blackhorn has made all the difference. The first year I hunted with it I did not use a BDC reticle and missed some great bucks....50 yds with a ML can be a clean miss. I have since got the Nikon and its pretty amazing how accurate it is, got about $550 total into the ML.

p.s. they do kick like a mule

Good Luck.

Since I have gathered from many of your very knowledgeable post on guns....you demand top gear. I watched the "Best of the West" show last week and if money was no object I would get a muzzle loader from http://badbullmuzzleloaders.com/ ....but you can see the cost.

BUT with that being said, I know nothing about the Knight, but I do use a Thompson Center Omega with a Nikon Omega BDC scope and really like it. I shoot Blackhorn 209, 120 grains (volume), Thompson Center Super Glide 250 grain, Remington primers. Haven't hunted all that much with it, but shot a nice mulley and a javillina. Recent practice showed that I can use/group the BDC at 200 yds (still got to try the 250 and 300 yds marks).

The Omega is very easy to clean and the breach plug can be removed in a snap, Blackhorn has made all the difference. The first year I hunted with it I did not use a BDC reticle and missed some great bucks....50 yds with a ML can be a clean miss. I have since got the Nikon and its pretty amazing how accurate it is, got about $550 total into the ML.

p.s. they do kick like a mule

Good Luck.

well dah....should have looked at your follow-up post. glad you got something you like. SO those TMZ are shooing well...was that the first sabot you tried?

well dah....should have looked at your follow-up post. glad you got something you like. SO those TMZ are shooing well...was that the first sabot you tried?

No. I have tried the TC shockwave 250 and 300, a variety of the precision rifle line and some hornadys. Overall, it seems like the TMZ's group really well and yes, it kicks like a mule!