AZ RANGER

Draw length help

My wingspan measures at 74" so by my calculations my DL should be about 29.5". I plan to buy a used bow online most likely, so I need the DL to be correct. My question is about the string loop and release. Should I go with a 29" and figure that the release and string loop will make up the rest? I think my current Matthews SQ2 is set at 30" but it has always seemed a bit long, I ve never hit my arm but the anchor point is a little off. Also will the DL vary from one bow manufacture to another?

Thanks

Some bows draw lengths vary. For example mathews newer bows like the reezen,monster and z7 tend to be long on lengths. I am 27.5 inch draw but had to get a 27 inch cam for my reezen. What brand are you looking at?

Leaning toward the Elite Hunter, but also thinking about Hoyt Maxxis or Alphamax. There are alot of good bows out there right now.

Always go shorter. Way to many people shoot a draw length that is to long for them and wonder why they can't shoot. 29" draw with a d-loop should be perfect.

jake

My wingspan measures at 74" so by my calculations my DL should be about 29.5". I plan to buy a used bow online most likely, so I need the DL to be correct. My question is about the string loop and release. Should I go with a 29" and figure that the release and string loop will make up the rest? I think my current Matthews SQ2 is set at 30" but it has always seemed a bit long, I ve never hit my arm but the anchor point is a little off. Also will the DL vary from one bow manufacture to another?

Thanks

Scott..

Yes DL vary from manufacture to manufacture... That wingspan measurement is a ok guide but you should really get measured... and even shoot a similar bow if you are going to get one online. There are a ton of tricks to tweak the DL of a bow but they all vary from manufacture to manufacture...

I would reccomend going to a shop and asking them to let you shoot a bow set up at 29 and 29.5 inch draw. With your wingspan measurement I would normally set someone up with a 29 inch draw so you can shoot with a slight bent arm. This will be alot more comfortable and you will probably be more consistant. You do not want to be stretched out to much since that will cause poor form and you would be more likely to catch your arm when shooting especially when shooting with a jacket on.

+1 for what j said! Find some one with the same bow or call all the bowshops tell you find one with a similar bow and shoot it make sure you can't hunt without it!

Between those two bows Elites are usually a little long and Hoyts are right on BUT... shoot one because you might be trying to save money by picking one up online but you might spend more money get the correct cams...

Thanks for the replies, I hope to shoot some different bows before I buy, but the big bow shops are a long drive for me. I have shot the alphamax but the DL was set real short. I feel kinda of guilty having a bow shop set up a bow for me to shoot when I have don't plan to buy from them.

Tons of used bows for sale on archerytalk.com. You can ask the seller if the length is on or not.

Yes that is where I have been shopping, there are plenty to choose from.

Thanks

Every Hoyt I have owned runs long. Actually from my hanging around the archery shop almost all bows are longer then they say when they come in.

you could get a pse that way you ll be able change the dl and you'll know the bow will be a shooter.