Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Turkey Shot

Just curious what shot you prefer for taking the big bird down?

And, what the heck do you do with a turkey after you get one down to properly take care of the meat???

all my turkey have been shot with a 20ga. 2 3/4 4 shot

I just bought a 12ga, 3inch few days ago just because. I will be shooting 1 3/4 ounce 5 shot out of that.

As for the bird, i clean it about 15 min after shooting it, We pick them mid afternoon and put of ice for the rest of the weekend. Been doing it this way for years and havent had any issues.

I shoot a 3 1/2" mag with 5 or 6 shot out of my 12 guage. It is very capable of taking birds down past 60yards, but I would always wait for a closer shot if possible. Remember to pattern a couple of different shells to see what shoots better out of your gun.

3.5" #5 for me. They kick like a mule but usually kill whatever is in front of you.

Well, except for this morning - he he - but I forgot to tell my son that gun tends to pattern a little high at longer ranges.

I use 3" mag out of a 30" full choke barrel. I have shot 4 shot and 6 shot. Doesn't seem to be much difference. You can also by shells that have mixed shot 4 and 6 combined. You do need to pattern your gun to see where the shot is going and to gauge your max distance. I dropped a coyote in it's tracks once with this setup using 4 shot at 49 yards.

most guys I know that hunt a lot of turkeys just bone the breast meat out and chuck the rest. I kept the wings and legs once and had my mom make some soup out of it. Meat wasn't really any good and we ended up feeding it to the dogs.

I use a 12 gauge and number 4 shot. I tried a new shell the last few turkeys and it's deadly! The attached photo is the load that dropped my spring turkey this year at 60 yards!

post-1-0-65243100-1302900734_thumb.jpg