Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

Help with 270 wsm

I'm just cleaning, weighing and separating some new brass. Out of 100, 60 are pretty good. I've uniformed the primer pockets and cleaned the flash hole. I now have some questions:

1- what primer? I have large and magnum. Does this stubby case need a magnum primer?

2- I have 130 grain berger VLD's and IMR 4064, 4350 & 4831 powder. Any prefernece?

3- I have Savage 11 with 24" 1-11 twist barrel, anyone shot thi combo before? Accuracy? Velocity?

Thanks in advance-

RTFM!

You need to refer to your manual, it will tell you what primer, powder & weight, bullet combo worked best. If you don't have a manual you need to go get one at a minimum from the company that makes the bullets you intend to use.

Here's a load that works very well out of mine:

Powder: IMR4350, 56.0 grains

Bullet: 140 gr. Nosler Accubond

Case: Winchester

Primer: Winchester WLRM

i don't beleave burger has a reloading book. you need to contact burger, they will send you the recipes by e-mail just tell them what caliber. i did it for my 270 short mag. they give you all the grains and different powders to try i just couldn't find a good one from their info. i ended up using nosler accubond 140 grns ended up with a .55 group using RL 22

After choosing the bullet you wish to use, pick a couple of powders that give top velocity with about 90% load density so you do not have to resort to compressed loads. Work up the charge range shooting over a chronograph. Try large and magnum primers to see what give you the best ES-extreme spread and groups. The reloading manuals will say what primer they used.