Sign in to follow this  
Will K

4A Early Archery Bull

Drew the early Archery Bull Tag this year finally in 4A. Who else has this tag for the rut hunt? :D

Drew the early Archery Bull Tag this year finally in 4A. Who else has this tag for the rut hunt? :D

I've got this tag as well. I'm already loosing sleep!

Got it too permit #209 can't wait its my first elk hunt

Does anyone know the quality of bulls in 4a its my first time hunting.this unit any pic of bulls taken?

Good question. Hunted the unit for many years with only two seen in the 380 - 390 class. my guess is the average bull in this unit is in the 330 - 350 class. :blink:

Good question. Hunted the unit for many years with only two seen in the 380 - 390 class. my guess is the average bull in this unit is in the 330 - 350 class. :blink:

IVE HUNTED 4A QUITE A BIT, MOSTLY WITHOUT A TAG,JUST ALONG FOR BUDDYS HUNTS, BUDDYS OF MINE HAVE HUNTED THAT UNIT FOR OVER 20YRS!!! IVE SHOT A 320 BULL OUTTA THEIR. I HAVE SEEN SOME 350-370 BULLS OUTTA THEIR BUT VERY FEW 380+ BULLS, ID SAY THE AVERAGE GOOD BULL IS AROUND 330-350 RANGE! I KNOW THE UNIT VERY WELL AN THEIR ARE SOME REALLY GOOD SPOTS!! DO YOUR SCOUTING!!

Will do thanks. When is the best time to start scouting I was thinking mid to late June

As much as you can. Look to where the cows are and the Bulls will come later on. :D

I dont want to be the person with the bad news but 4a is not a trophy unit. The average elk in 4a is probably between 260-315. A 330-350 average is more of your trophy quality units and that still could be high if your talking average. A true 350 class bull is a big bull. 4a does have good numbers of elk though. Once the elk rub the velvet off they will most likely not be where you find them during the summer in their bachelor heards. They will start moving to where they are going to rut. so some early scouting is good to get to know the area but dont count on the bulls you see in the summer to be in the same place once the hunt starts. Good Luck..

I don't think there are any units where the AVERAGE bull is 330. Maybe if you say the average mature 6 point or better bull is 330, there MIGHT be some validity, but even that is a stretch.

I dont want to be the person with the bad news but 4a is not a trophy unit. The average elk in 4a is probably between 260-315. A 330-350 average is more of your trophy quality units and that still could be high if your talking average. A true 350 class bull is a big bull. 4a does have good numbers of elk though. Once the elk rub the velvet off they will most likely not be where you find them during the summer in their bachelor heards. They will start moving to where they are going to rut. so some early scouting is good to get to know the area but dont count on the bulls you see in the summer to be in the same place once the hunt starts. Good Luck..

Your rite! average is closer to 300! i have seen a 340-360 bull taken outta their each year i have been up their, and ive got a few 340+ bulls on camera from 3 yrs ago!!! Still a great unit with great numbers!

Does anyone know how the rut is, does it hit strong or like most other units it just depends?

-Ryan

Shane,Thanks for saying exactly what I was going to say about 4A.Friends and I have shot alot of elk out of 4 as we have hunted it since the mid 70's with a bow.The biggest was a 350 bull with most 260-300.These are nice bulls,it's very easy to get wound up in the score,or talk about 380-400 bulls when you are pecking at the keyboard.Enjoy the hunt and shoot a nice 6 pointand be happy!!!!

Shane,Thanks for saying exactly what I was going to say about 4A.Friends and I have shot alot of elk out of 4 as we have hunted it since the mid 70's with a bow.The biggest was a 350 bull with most 260-300.These are nice bulls,it's very easy to get wound up in the score,or talk about 380-400 bulls when you are pecking at the keyboard.Enjoy the hunt and shoot a nice 6 pointand be happy!!!!

There is ALOT to be said about this kind of attitude. I remember when a 6 point was a 6 point. It didnt matter if it was 250" or 450". A 6 point was huge. A 7x7 was mythical.

Unfortunately, the huntin fool and trophy hunter are like playboy and hustler. They only make you want what is unrealistic most of the time and fill your mind with ideas that it doesnt need.

Youre right. enjoy the hunt, shoot a nice bull and be happy. When it is all said and done, that is what is important. Not inches.

Amazing what happens when you try to start a friendly conversation. All the sudden you turn into a "huntin fool and trophy hunter" and have a unrealistic attitude. WOW.