Sign in to follow this  
azryan

Dad gets his first gobbler

My dad drew the 2nd hunt in 24a, only 3 tags and 5 total for the two hunts. The birds are really concentrated in the unit. We did plenty of scouting and were pretty confident about the hunt. This is the second year they offered this hunt, so we were assuming the birds would be a little less call-shy. We hunted opening weekend with a few adrenaline filled hours, but could not close the deal. The wind was not helping by any means either. We saw and heard birds everyday we hunted so we could not complain. Today everything came together. This morning we had a couple gobblers going nuts in their roost but as soon as they hit the ground they shutup, pretty much seems like your typical AZ spring turkey hunt. We got on one of the birds but we could not coax him enough too come into shooting range. We decided our best bet would be too sit water and it paid off. We sat a total of 4 hours and this lone gobbler came in a little after 2pm. My dad let him have it. The bird ended up flopping into the tank so he was all wet so the pics did not turn out like we would have liked. Measured his beard at 9 inches, and he weighed 20lbs. My dad has always wanted too kill a turkey so he finally accomplished that goal.

103_0152.jpg

103_0156.jpg

103_0159.jpg

103_0177.jpg

Hey a wet turkey is better than no turkey! Congrats! Way to get it done. That is a great accomplishment. Randy, I hope you told Dad. I don't think he knows what one looks like. :lol: :lol: Great job to both of you!

Congratulations to your Dad Ryan. A 20lb bird is just about as big as they get here and for his first one that even makes it that much better. Great picture of you two. Your're not pulling our leg about him being your Dad are you? :lol: Looks to young to be your Dad. :)

TJ