Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jonathan

breaking in a barrel

I just put a scope on a new rem 700 in 7mm rem mag and I'm hoping to turn this gun into a shooter. This is my first "new" rifle I've only had hand me down guns before. I need advice on how to properly break in this barrel, I haven't shot it yet. If there's already a thread on this can someone point me to it? Thanks in advance everyone!

I just put a scope on a new rem 700 in 7mm rem mag and I'm hoping to turn this gun into a shooter. This is my first "new" rifle I've only had hand me down guns before. I need advice on how to properly break in this barrel, I haven't shot it yet. If there's already a thread on this can someone point me to it? Thanks in advance everyone!

Here is the guide that I have used. http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

One of the most critical parts is the Bore Guide. Use one. They are critical. I buy mine from a guy named Mike Lucas ... his are great. I have never had the guts to try the "mixture" that "Speedy" recommends. I've read too many times that combining chemicals is not good, and he has enough suggestions on products that are easy to get.

You will get 100 different answers on this subject. The fact is, every barrel is a bit different. You will need to listen to what the barrel is telling you. The basic guidlines in the links posted above are good places to start.

Dont over do it with the amonia based solvents and avoid JB or IOSSO unless it is an emergency. Even then dont over do it.

sjvcon is right on with the bore guides. I also use the Lucas guides. They are not cheap and they take a while to get but they are cheaper, easier to get than a new barrel because it became ruined from impropper cleaning.

Let us know how it turns out.

You will get 100 different answers on this subject. The fact is, every barrel is a bit different. You will need to listen to what the barrel is telling you. The basic guidlines in the links posted above are good places to start.

Dont over do it with the amonia based solvents and avoid JB or IOSSO unless it is an emergency. Even then dont over do it.

sjvcon is right on with the bore guides. I also use the Lucas guides. They are not cheap and they take a while to get but they are cheaper, easier to get than a new barrel because it became ruined from impropper cleaning.

Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah ... I've never had to use the IOSSO that is talked about. Also, I should mention that I've switched from Sweet's to Hoppe's #9 for most of the general cleaning. Sweet's comes out only occasionally. It is great for copper fouling, but you don't need to get the copper out that often. I've heard some great things about "Witch's Brew" ... I was going to buy that and give it a try as well. Any thoughts on that one? Also, I should note that I use nylon brushes almost exclusively for the brushing. That is some wisdom an Old Timer imparted on me some years back, and his reasoning made good sense.

I was also going to ask about nylon vs. brass brushes, thanks for the tip!

Mr. Jon- there is a great article on barrel break in on riflemansjournal. i have three rem 700 7mm mags. most important is to adjust the trigger, and mount a leup scope ; next is good ammo.

A while back I was researching the barrel break in process, and it seemed then that nobody could really articulate what it *actually* did. Some were of the opinion that it was a gimmick by barrel manufacturers that actually led to faster erosion, others swore by it but couldn't really give a good explanation of exactly how the break-in process improved the steel.

I would love to hear from the guys on here who really know the truth about barrel break-in, and why/if it really is important.

Mr. Jon- there is a great article on barrel break in on riflemansjournal. i have three rem 700 7mm mags. most important is to adjust the trigger, and mount a leup scope ; next is good ammo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DESERT - if you ever shot against German Salazar; you would have to believe He knows rifle barrels. ron

DESERT - if you ever shot against German Salazar; you would have to believe He know rifle barrels. ron

I DO believe. I was just laughing because I know the "article" you were referring to.

DESERT - if you ever shot against German Salazar; you would have to believe He know rifle barrels. ron

So I take it the guy doesn't believe in breaking in barrels? Well ... okay. Some guys do and some don't. Some manufacturers do and some don't. I'd say it is a preference thing. Not sure it hurts following some kind of procedure though, and I feel a little better about my investment when I take time and care with it ... but that is me. I won't knock the German's knowledge though ... he can probably outshoot me blindfolded and backward.

I just put a leupold VX3 on the rifle, 4.5x14x40mm with the custom dial system setup. I went with the fed premium 160 gr nosler accubonds for my stock ammo. I intend to reload for it once I've collected some brass. But it looks like I need to buy some more gear for the barrel set up first. Any thoughts on the nylon brushes though?