Pine Donkey

Unit 1 Fire?

dang, why all the anger? i hope nobody loses a house. really hate to hear about singleshot's folk's place. hope it survives. i hope nobody loses their house. to tell folks "tough luck" for living in the forest is sorta cold hearted. fire is a true part of the system, but you can't mismanage things for a century and then decide to just let stuff burn. the forst circus has built roads and developed the forest for 100 years and enticed folks to live there. to just say tough luck because you get burned out by a fire is like saying tough luck to somebody that gets there place robbed and saying it's their fault for living in town. another thing to think about, 30 years ago when logging was a real enterprise, you didn't see fire like this. they kept the brush cleared up and their was a lot more access for fire personell to get in and fight fires. not too long ago, the dude fire was biggest fire in the history of the state. we have a couple fires a year that are much larger than the dude. this one is already a lot bigger. if you're going to manage something, you can't decide to just quit. anyway, hate to hear this about the mountain. i'm intimate with every foot of the area. sure hope everyone is ok. Lark.

I think the Rodeo Chedeski Fire is going to look like a Sunday Picnic Wienie Roast by the time this Wallow Fire is through. :)

Biker

I think the Rodeo Chedeski Fire is going to look like a Sunday Picnic Wienie Roast by the time this Wallow Fire is through.

Biker

I fear your right.

I've yet to here from any other source that the fire has jumped 191 and is moving into the blue. If thats the case we are in truoble.

I got a text eariler that gave me stomach pains. At that time it was 7 miles south of the 249 moving north/ northeast. This has potential to be way worse the the r/c fire. If its jumped the 191 thats bad but if it jumps the 249 then its really going to be bad.

Lark is right !!! It's a shame the mountain has gone to pot from being mismanaged all these years. As I sit here and watch the plume of smoke from my porch I can sure relate to the folks pouring into town last night from Alpine and Nutri. The look of despair in their eyes brought back a lot of memories from when I lost my house to a fire years ago and the harsh reality that my family could possibly relive that nightmare once again. Regardless of the outcome , I pray everyone involved comes out of this unscathed....

I wonder how this will affect the wolves? Im not pro-wolf by any means, but that entire area is ripe for destruction and its burning right where they released em'. Here are some links to a bunch of sad but awe-inspiring photos:

http://www.abc15.com/gallery/news/news_photo_gallery/Wallow-Fire-in-Eastern-Arizona

I realize that some of those photos from thet link i posted are from terry flat/ escudilla mountain area and its dangerously close, I camp there all the time its THE most beautiful place on earth during the fall but there is a horrendous amount of deadfall. Ironic that the thing that created the beauty- fire (causing aspen growth) is the thing that might now destroy it again. Man, words can't express how sad I am, I have a terrible feeling in my gut that this is going to become Rodeo-Chediski size or larger, I hate careless campers. The USFS needs to pour as many resources as possible ASAP into this fire, they need more choppers, more hotshots, and more man power now, or this thing is gonna go south even worse than it is now. I know they may be doing the best they can, but this thing shoulda bween out before it started.

I believe the reason why our forests are burning with such huge crown fires started with the nations policy of complete fire suppression in the early to mid 20th century. Ponderosa pine forests historically burn once every seven or so years with a ground fire that removes branches, needles, leaves, etc... Large crown fire historically occurred every thirty to fifty years, and they were less hot and less destructive than todays fires. The buildup of downed wood I've seen in the Terry Flat area is appalling. Doghair thickets acrooss the evergreen forests of Arizona are another major factor. Now that the forsets are so cluttered, we are going to see major crown fires in almost every forest untill mother nature can restore ballance. it is a sad truth and as things sit fires have to be put out when they have any potential to grow larger. We are the ones who proverbially screwed ourselves over by taking a too serious approach to fire suppresssion and then not a serious enoguh approach in manys cases. Anyways thats my 2 cents

Coues 79, The new perimiter they released is from IR photos taken last night at 11:30. What it does not show is the spot fire that started on the side of Escadilla headed for Terry Flat. There has been more growth today. The winds calmed about midnight, and stayed realitively low through the morning, but they picked up again this afternoon. Things are pretty bad up there. I will be making a post soon that has some pictures of Alpine yesterday.

here is a bird i took from the bear wallow wilderness in 2009. we went 3 for 3 that trip.

i really feel for all affected by this fire.

post-4310-0-31217100-1307155202_thumb.jpg

Latest reports heard was fire has reach Big Lake and has burned down Big Lake Lookout tower. Sad day. My stomping grounds where I learned to hunt from my dad now burned. Sad time indeed.

Brian