Sign in to follow this  
NitroAZ

Another So AZ Bear story 2011

I just wanted to share a photo from my latest hunt. With the recent news of the Coronado closure happening this week I decided to give my bear hunt one last chance. At first light on Wednesday I began checking some of my spots but after reviewing photos I didn’t really have anything coming in frequent enough for me to gamble sitting the last day. I decided to head back over to where I had a majority of the activity. Throughout the last 4 weeks I’ve had close to a dozen coming in, unfortunately 8 were sows and cubs. Upon arriving I checked my cameras and verified I had bears coming in every day since my last hunt on Sunday. I was pleased to see that two of the bears were ones which I haven't seen on camera for about 3 weeks, more importantly they were bears without cubs.

As I climbed up the tree I was feeling positive I would have a visitor as I usually do while I'm sitting at this location, but I felt strongly that this time it would be one without cubs. I got into the stand by 7:05, 15 minutes into sitting I was reviewing photos on my cell when I heard footsteps. Usually I hear them about 70 to 80 yards out, but as I looked up I saw her coming along the trail at about 35 yards. As she advanced a little further she came to an abrupt stop, she had her nose in the air and was really concerned. I had no shot opportunity and I prayed that the 2 pints of cover up I used and my HECS scent suit would do their job. The wind was blowing directly from me strait to her at about 15 mph. She started walking in circles and finally decided to come off of the ledge and approach the water. As she got to the edge of the water it was apparent she could smell my scent from when I had stood there checking my camera just 20 min earlier. The scent must have just been too strong and through the dense cover I could see her rear around and begin to head out. As she climbed up the ledge I drew back and waited for her to come out of the trees. For whatever reason at about 19 yards she slowed down and I put the pin a few inches behind her diaphragm, the arrow, most of it, exited in front of her opposite shoulder. She ran/rolled down the hill right to me and died below my stand. I couldn’t believe it, the 6 days and 54 hours of sitting finally paid off.

The hunt was bitter sweet, I surely didn’t want to be the guy to shut down the unit, but in light of the recent Coronado news I set out to fill my tag and as luck would have it I shot a sow.

I ran her down to the G&F for inspection and she was estimated to be about 6 or 7 years old.

Congrats to all of the other tag holders who worked their tails off, hard work and persistence really does pay off.

post-2299-0-50557200-1307741103_thumb.jpg

Way to go! That is some serious dedication. I am really glad it finally paid off for you. Beautiful bear, looks like she has some nice color down her legs and sides. I really enjoyed the write up as well.

Nice sow. Closing the unit with a sow just lets the bears pack on more pounds for the fall hunt! Did you really use a full 2 pints of scent eliminator in one shot? That's a lot of cover!