Sign in to follow this  
AntlerObsession

Natural Salt Deposits!

We headed out as a family to our favorite spot on the river, and my wife noticed some white crust on some sand near a rocky bluff. She speculated that it could be salt, but I thought,"No Way!", so I tasted it. Oh come on! You know I had to! Anyway, it was salt, and I found that the entire cliff face had salt deposits exuding from cracks, settling on ledges, etc. Has anyone ever seen this before? Those of you that frequent the river, is this a common thing having the water deposit minerals onto the cliff face, or is this a natural salt deposit that is a part of the geology in that area? Could it be a natural attraction to animals? We work so hard to place salt licks, would a natural salt lick/deposit be a good place to find a concentration of animals?

I don't know, maybe eating white stuff growing off the side of a river has me a little loopy!

there is a salty place in the desert where i hunt deer. i have started many a track there over the years. mainly i hike in to look at it just to see what is in the area as far as track size and numbers, because every buck in the country will wander in there on a regular basis. natural salt is hard to find, but if you do, keep an eye on it. Lark.

Would that be the SALT River? Hmmmmm?

Very funny! No its not the Salt River!

The location of the salt deposits I saw would be too hard to get to unless the deer had gills or rappelling equipment, but I was wondering if the salt deposits would be worth looking into a few hundred yards up hill. Could salt run all through that hill side? Any geologists out there with any idea?

The location of the salt deposits I saw would be too hard to get to unless the deer had gills or rappelling equipment, but I was wondering if the salt deposits would be worth looking into a few hundred yards up hill. Could salt run all through that hill side? Any geologists out there with any idea?

I think the answer to your question about salt deposits being elsewhere is pretty obvious. Just climb up the hill side licking the ground and rocks every 5 yards or so. Oh yeah, and if you would post the coordinates and the time of your experiment, I am sure you get a bunch of CWTer's to help! Heck I bet a bunch of them would even offer to document your experiment with video cameras! :lol:

I couldn't resist.

Lee

• Like 1

Salt deposits like any other mineral runs in pockets and veins. It could run up the hill or along the hill. It could also run in the hillside and re-appear in another spot. When I was younger and Back in Tenn. I saw deer eating the ground and asked my uncle about it. He said they eat the ground that is high in minerals. Most of the area has low concentrations of the minerals they need. I can also tell you the soil out here is much higher in mineral ans salt than back east. It is also higher in alkalinity.

I think the answer to your question about salt deposits being elsewhere is pretty obvious. Just climb up the hill side licking the ground and rocks every 5 yards or so. Oh yeah, and if you would post the coordinates and the time of your experiment, I am sure you get a bunch of CWTer's to help! Heck I bet a bunch of them would even offer to document your experiment with video cameras! :lol:

I couldn't resist.

Lee

You don't think I wont?! I would lick that whole freakin' mountain side if it meant I could take a 100" buck this next season! No J/K, no LOL, no winking smiley face! I am obsessed, and proud of it!

I couldn't resist.

Lee

You don't think I wont?! I would lick that whole freakin' mountain side if it meant I could take a 100" buck this next season! No J/K, no LOL, no winking smiley face! I am obsessed, and proud of it!

Good for you man! It's not like all of us fanatics haven't done some crazy thing to possibly get an edge on a big coues buck. I'd just like to get video of another obsessed hunter licking rocks. I would probably do it too. If I was sure none of you jokers were watching. Good luck. Hope you find the salt mother lode and it pays off big!

Lee