Sign in to follow this  
TREESTANDMAN

Coues alarm scent

While treestand hunting on several different occasions I have had deer stop where I had been walking, do their little alarm blow, put their tales up and take off. An hour or so later a buck or another doe will come in, stop in exaclty the same spot the deer was spooked, and do exactly the same thing. I'm convinced deer will excrete some kind of lingering warning scent when alarmed. Any other insight on this?

Guest Ernesto C

Very interesting topic,I have experienced the same thing several times but I never tought on that one,that deer will excrete some kind of warning scent. I'm more convinced that is our human scent that one that spook deer,human scent that is in our boots,our clothing,hands etc etc.

That's why before hunting I always put my hunting clothes inside a plastick bag full off mesquite,palo verde and some other fresh or green branches or grass from the area I'll be hunting.The clothing will absorb their scent and you'll be smelling completly natural to the deer.Believe me it works!!

But you got a point definetly worth to investigate there......maybe Amanda or some one else can help us.

Ernesto C

I read some where that they have a gland in their legs or foot or somewhere and a few in other places. I am not exactly sure what they do but maybe one of the glands is for excreting something like that???

I believe our human scent stays on the ground, foliage and in the air longer than we think. Think about a hound picking up the day old trail of a lion. These animals can smell the smallest amount of human scent. As far as deer leaving a warning scent, I guess it could be possible. If I'm not mistaking I think deer may have a scent gland between their hooves. More than likely I think the second deer smelled exactly what the first deer smelt, TREESTANDMAN.

You guys may be right. I just found it odd because I had walked that trail to my stand and I was suprised that the buck spooked at the exact same spot the doe had spooked even though I hadn't stopped at the spot or sneezed or anything. I wondered if the buck could smell where she had done her wheeze blow snort?

These whitetail are amazing!!!

I would also assume it was human scent that spooked the deer, but it is an interesting question. I haven't heard of anything like an alarm scent that alerts deer that walk by later.

Amanda

I don't know about deer putting out extra scent, but I've given up on my rubber boots for my scent. Multiple times I've watched coues ignore my paths that I've walked on only minutes before with my normal hiking boots on. They just don't seem to care about the scent off of my boots onto the ground. Anyone else notice this?

bowsniper

I remeber reading something years ago that a whitetail secrete a scent of some sort out of their tarsal glands when alarmed to warn other deer of danger. It was about hunting eastern whitetail. I have seen a deer catch my sent when hunting out of a treestand back east , snort , leave the area. Wind changes some-- (in my favor) different deer comes down same trail later on and at the same spot where the the first one made me this deer gets real jumpy--nervous-- tail goes up --just knows something ain't right-- then turns and hightails back up the trail.

I think there is something to that although it would hard to prove.