Sign in to follow this  
Coues&Bass

Stanley Fire started Sunday June 26th.

EA COURIER

As the major wildfires throughout the state wind down, a new wildfire has erupted closer to the Gila Valley.

The Stanley Fire began burning late in the day Sunday in the wilderness east of Stanley Butte on the San Carlos Apache Reservation. Stanley Butte is near Mt. Turnbull and is about 10 miles southeast of Bylas.

According to fire information officer Jennifer Costich, hand crews initially tried to put out the blaze on the first day when it was about 10 to 20 acres but were unsuccessful. The following morning, the fire had grown to 377 acres before exploding to about 2,900 acres by the end of the day. Smoke from its plume blocked out the setting sun.

A smoke plume from the Stanley Fire obscures the sun Monday. The fire started near Stanley Butte about 10 miles southeast of Bylas on Sunday and has grown to more than 2,900 acres. Photo By Jon Johnson.

Firefighters attacked the blaze Monday with two heavy air tankers, two single-engine air tankers and a helicopter, but the fire made significant gains to the southeast toward the Klondyke area. A new acreage report wasn't immediately available Tuesday morning as the smoky haze blanketed the Gila Valley and obscured area mountains.

According to Costich, the fire is mostly burning open chaparral and ranch country, but there are at least two ranch houses that are at risk of being destroyed. The fire is burning to the southeast and is nearing Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service lands. Costich said if it continues on its current path, there is a good chance it could cross those boundaries today.

"It is a big one," Costich told the Courier on Tuesday. "It has definitely gotten big today."

A Type II incident command management team has been assigned to the fire and was scheduled to take command of the firefighting duties Tuesday or Wednesday. The management team is originally from Oregon and was recently assigned to the Wallow Fire in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.

Hope they get a handle on it soon!!! :( Kind of a drag having a fire with my name!! (Although I understand it was named for the location.... ;) )

S.

Hope they get a handle on it soon!!! :( Kind of a drag having a fire with my name!! (Although I understand it was named for the location.... ;) )

S.

Stanley, I was afraid to ask but was wondering if you where camped up there and something went wrong. :unsure:

You know I'm just kidding Stanley. I could think of better things to have my name associated with as well. I hope they get the upper hand on this before it gets any bigger. It scares me to think the summer has just begun and we have lost so much. When is your next lion adventure Stan? Hope to see ya at the OE4A banquet. :)

TJ

I just drove by there and didn't see much smoke....lots of rain falling all around the area, maybe some hit the fire....last I heard this fire was at 8000 acres

S.

Stan, before you know it, you'll have the "Stanley Buck" and the "Stanley Bull" so it's just the beginning for ya!

The last thing I'd do, especially with the fire being on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, is letting the a$$-hats at the US Forest Circus get involved.....

The last thing I'd do, especially with the fire being on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, is letting the a$$-hats at the US Forest Circus get involved.....

why don't you fight the fire then hot shot

Well about 10 years ago I decided to go to college and get a degree and it just so happens that degree doesn't have anything to do with the Forest Circus. I'm sure the boys from the reservation can handle themselves just fine without the US Forest Circus' version of "forest management", including their forest fire fighting tactics.

Well about 10 years ago I decided to go to college and get a degree and it just so happens that degree doesn't have anything to do with the Forest Circus. I'm sure the boys from the reservation can handle themselves just fine without the US Forest Circus' version of "forest management", including their forest fire fighting tactics.

Forest circus thats really clever! Excellent play on words because its sounds like service, but it means that they do crazy stuff like in a circus.

Exactly. The US Forest Circus is filled with a bunch of clowns and they do lots of crazy things just like the circus.

A couple pics of the fire.

6/26/11

MTsmoke62711.jpg

While out on San carlos Lake. Pretty cool watching it load.

chpperSC1.jpg