Sign in to follow this  
twigsnapper

15x bino dilema

I am new here and I know this is an old topic of discussion but I need some advice. I have Vortex Viper 15x50 and have used them for years and they have served me well, however, I just traded for a nice set of Docter Nobilem 15x60's which seem to be great. I sat next to my buddy last Sunday and his 15x56 SLC's did not appear any better then the Docters. My questions to all you experienced 15x bino owners is what would you do if you were me? Sell both my 15's and buy Kaibabs or SLC's? Keep the Docters? My biggest concern is service if I need it on the Docters. Any input is appreciated.

I am new here and I know this is an old topic of discussion but I need some advice. I have Vortex Viper 15x50 and have used them for years and they have served me well, however, I just traded for a nice set of Docter Nobilem 15x60's which seem to be great. I sat next to my buddy last Sunday and his 15x56 SLC's did not appear any better then the Docters. My questions to all you experienced 15x bino owners is what would you do if you were me? Sell both my 15's and buy Kaibabs or SLC's? Keep the Docters? My biggest concern is service if I need it on the Docters. Any input is appreciated.

Docter are great glass, the customer service is not great, its taken a long time for some of my buddies to geat there glass back for repare in the past, they all switched to the swaros....you never can go wrong with the SLCc if you are willing to spend the coin. there customer service is great as well. For the price the Kaibabs are good but there is a big difference between them and the swaros...JMO

Mark

If youre happy with them, thats all that matters but I can tell you from personal experience, the Docters do not hold a candle to the Swaros or Leicas.

Everyones eyes are different...if I were you I would line them all up next to eachother and decide. The Outdoorsmen I know will do that for you. Good luck in finding the right glass if you want to talk PM me and I can go over some things with you over the phone. I have worked with optics for a while, not only glassing , but also selling.

Mark

The Doc's are great glass, I own two pair. They're bulkier than the Swaros, that would be my biggest complaint along with customer services issues. As far as the quality of the glass and finding more game, I think the price does not justify the difference in the two different glass. If price is a concern stick with the Doc's, Swaros will not make you a better hunter/glasser IMO. I do prefer my Swaros since I've purchased them, but I only did so because I got a steal on them at $1100.00 or else I'd still be lugging my trusty Ol' Doc's. A friend just purchased the Kaibab's and they looked pretty sweet, but I haven't sat on the hillsides for hours/days on end to really give a good opinion on them.

August 1st 15 SLC are dropping $440 so you will be able to pick them up for $1899. I would hold out and get the slc's, I own the kaibabs and you can tell there is a difference

August 1st 15 SLC are dropping $440 so you will be able to pick them up for $1899. I would hold out and get the slc's, I own the kaibabs and you can tell there is a difference

AZBowana1, where did you hear of this deal?

Thanks, TJ

Here are the reasons I would go with Swarovski.

1. Swarovski has best customer service in the business.

2. Light transmission is better in the 15X Swarovski than any of the competitors. (try them against the competitor at low light) Hands down difference IMO.

3. Clearest and cleanest image of any binoculars on the market.

Swarovski stands behind their product 100% where the competitors only do it some of the time.

Good Discussion fellas!

Good Huntin' to ya

Thanks guys, I sold both my other pairs and found a used set of Kaibabs for a great deal. I will move up to the swaros as soon as the budget will allow. Now my next questions is what is you all's favorite tripod adapter. The Kaibabs come with the Jim White unidapter but I don't love it. Should I go with the outdoorsmans one or the Swarovski one. Thanks again!

Personally, I like the Jim White tripod adapter better than any other I've tried. It's light, simple and you can still wear your binocs with it attached (most people don't wear 15s around). Having one adapter that is always attached makes for easy transitions between scanning and slow glassing without having to mess with things. I've got 4 pairs of bino's with this adapter - my Swaro 10x42 SLC, Swaro 15x56, my two sons' Vortex 10x40's and we can all interchange our tripods when need be, or I can go to the big Bogen for any of our glass - it just makes things easy.

What is it you're not liking about the JW adapter?

It is not that I don't like it but I just am not in love with it and wanted to hear opinions on the other options.