Becker

Terry's TEAM.....

I must say I ran into some pretty unrespectful people this last weekend. Got to a tank on Saturday and was climbing in the pop-up when some guy comes cruising up and claims that his peices of camo cloth hanging from a tree had been there along with him all week. Apparently that reserves someones spot. Thing is I was there the day before and he wasn't. He proceeded to still climb into his make shift blind despite the fact that I was already there. I would have not set up there if I hadn't seen that cloth hanging at just about every water hole since august. Packed up gear and left. Sunday I made my way to a tank, at the end of a dead end road. I parked 500 yards from the end of the road and tank on the backside of a hill in plain sight of anyone else coming up the road. After I got set up I heard another quad on the road and assumed it was my hunting buddy littlebear who knew I was at the tank. About three hours later I hear footsteps so I peak out my blind and here is this guy sneaking towards the water hole with my blind in plain sight. I waved my hand at him to move off but he thought apparently, that it was an invitation to come all the way up to my blind and almost stick his head in the window to ask if I was with TERRY!!! (I took that as being 25-06) I said no and that I was trying to hunt this tank... He proceeds to say "I am going to go sit the other side OK" and of course I protested... He says "don't worry its cool dude, I already hiked all the way in here...." So then he went sneeking across the open with hes girlfriend following him....I packed up my gear and left. I get to the top of the hill and there are two red quads there about 60 yards farther down the road than mine in plain sight of everything in the whole basin. Fact is I hope it wasn't you Terry... I would think any right minded hunter would realize its archery season and people might be sitting or even hunting the area around the water, and not drive another 60 yards down the dead end road to get in front of them. Littlebear and I have had quite a few people ask if we know Terry. How many hunters do you have out there Terry? Anyway that was my whole weekend pretty much and as you might guess not many deer were seen at those spots....

Some people just don't have a clue about hunting ethics :)

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Becker

Since they had already screwed your hunt, You should have invited them in to your blind. then proceeded to let them know in an olfactory way that you had a hearty helping of beans the night before.

Either that or just start talking so loud anything in miles is scared off.

Rude, selfish, ignorant jerks,

Wow Becker, your a pretty level headed guy. Both situations, I don't think I could of held my cool. Especially day two, were they going to sit under a tree or something? I would be nice if we all could find a magical place to sit that wasn't a five mile hike in and out. Where now one bothers you and you don't hear vehicle traffic all day. I set up a camera at a natural rock formation that I think holds water all year. It was a two hour hike in and out, no other water within a mile and 1/2 or two. After a month I went and checked it made the one way trip in about an hour and fifthteen minutes. Only 16 pics and the only buck was a trophy spike. Talk about ultimate let down. I still have to hike in and retrieve my camera because I can't view in the field right now. I left it hoping my measly 16 pics had the magic buck I was looking for.

Anyway back to your post about ethics, I've seen some riduculous things this season. a ton of bow roadhunters ??????? This seems to be the new trend. I also glassed up some bucks first light was waiting for them to bed. A Dec. tag holder rolls up about eight thirty nine O clock. Glasses from his truck, spots the deer. Puts a hour or less stalk, putting the wind to his back and getting on the wrong side of a tree line they were at. Finally popped of five shots. Four of them at running bucks. And when it was all over. He didn't even go look for blood. When a deer didn't fall in his tracks he walked back to the truck and left. Talk abour a bad taste in your mouth. Hope our end to this Jan seasons improves for both of us. Good luck, Justin.

I had been scouting in unit 6a for whitetail several years ago and had marked one at 105+, I had one of my buddies with me who was sworn to secrecy and we had this buck patterned, he would bed down on the ridgeline and then feed out into the same opening every morning with 2 other bucks. Well the day of the hunt I go out with my wall tent and we have everything set up and we are out glassing and I hear this truck come driving up the 2 track past my tent to where the canyon head is. So we glass until dark and walk over and there is this guy from Flag FD and he says that he was elk hunting in Nov and just happened to see the big buck then, well it just so happens that my sworn to secrecy buddy was trying to get on the dept. then. Well the booger eating moron shows up after dawn opening morning stumbles to the end of the canyon and unleashes just as the deer are getting up. All clean misses from 400 yards with no rest. I know this because I went over to talk to him when I heard the barrage. I ended up taking a buck that morning but it was only about 80. what a disappointment, I waited out with my dad but we never saw another deer in that canyon. It sure is nice when someone cant keep their pie hole shut about honey holes, the same guy took his entire family to another place I showed him down south. :) ag

Well way to go Terry.

I must say I ran into some pretty respectful people this last weekend.  Got to a tank on Saturday and was climbing in the pop-up when some guy comes cruising up and claims that his pieces of camo cloth hanging from a tree had been there along with him all week.  Apparently that reserves someones spot.  Thing is I was there the day before and he wasn't.  He proceeded to still climb into his make shift blind despite the fact that I was already there.  I would have not set up there if I hadn't seen that cloth hanging at just about every water hole since august.  Packed up gear and left.  Sunday I made my way to a tank, at the end of a dead end road.  I parked 500 yards from the end of the road and tank on the backside of a hill in plain sight of anyone else coming up the road.  After I got set up I heard another quad on the road and assumed it was my hunting buddy littlebear who knew I was at the tank.  About three hours later I hear footsteps so I peak out my blind and here is this guy sneaking towards the water hole with my blind in plain sight.  I waved my hand at him to move off but he thought apparently, that it was an invitation to come all the way up to my blind and almost stick his head in the window to ask if I was with TERRY!!! (I took that as being 25-06) I said no and that I was trying to hunt this tank... He proceeds to say "I am going to go sit the other side OK" and of course I protested... He says "don't worry its cool dude, I already hiked all the way in here...."  So then he went sneeking across the open with hes girlfriend following him....I packed up my gear and left.  I get to the top of the hill and there are two red quads there about 60 yards farther down the road than mine in plain sight of everything in the whole basin.  Fact is I hope it wasn't you Terry...  I would think any right minded hunter would realize its archery season and people might be sitting or even hunting the area around the water, and not drive another 60 yards down the dead end road to get in front of them.  Littlebear and I have had quite a few people ask if we know Terry.  How many hunters do you have out there Terry?  Anyway that was my whole weekend pretty much and as you might guess not many deer were seen at those spots....

Holey smack!! I am glad i wasn't out this weekend!! I was babysitting my sick wife. But i will tell ya this, i have a red quad and so does my buddy Mark. If i would have been hunting i would have been in unit 21.

I swear it wasn't me!! Really though, if i walk into a tank and someone else is there i get the heck out of there with as little noise as possible--that is the right thing to do when someone else is already there.

Becker,

Man I hate to hear stuff like that. Andy left me a message and mentioned some of your hunt problems. You did the right thing by leaving because it isn't worth fighting over and no deer will come in with scent blowing from both sides of a tank. It's bad enough dealing with the wind direction with one guy sitting.

It is too bad so many people are so clueless, which I can at least understand as maybe they are beginners, but to also be so blatantly disrespectful and stupid is maddening. I've had morons do the same things to me in the past. My solution was to stop sitting tanks. It sucked to let them run me off but I could not handle the repeated frustrations of things like this. Keep trying though.

One thing I can tell you for sure is deer will come into a tank that people frequent. Even ones right on the road. They may not come in when they can smell, see, or hear people there but I've seen deer spooked off a tank when somebody came in then 1/2 hr later they come back. Epperson's first archery coues buck was shot when it came back to a tank three hours after he had spooked it by flinging one over it's back.

I was planning to sit the same tank once but some other guy showed up at the same time so I let him sit. I knew he'd get out of his tree early because his stand would get the early sun and he'd cook (Aug.) I came back a few hours later and saw him walk off. I got in my nice shady ground blind and an our later a lion tried to get in with me. He didn't seem to mind the activity either.

You will not beat the wind though. If they can smell you they will hang up and not come in. I've seen that a bunch too. Stands or blinds in canyons are the worst for swirling winds. You will get a ton o' pictures then sit there for days and not see a deer. It's the wind.

Good luck.

Becker,

Just to set the record straight.

The Terry your are talking about is 25-06. We were in that area this weekend. Terry?s (25-06) intention Sunday was to sit that tank. That all changed when we came into the spot and saw your quad. Terry asked if he should go down to the tank. I told him, if I was sitting there I would not want anybody coming in on me. So at that point we left our quads there and went up and over the top of the mountain towards park tank which is about a 1 ? back in.

The individual and his wife that came in on you was a friend of Terry?s (25-06). What other people do, whether friends of yours or not, you have no control over. I?m sorry you had this much trouble this weekend. I too have this same situation happen to. That is why I told Terry not to go down to the tank.

As for the other members who are going to judge anybody, point blame or refer to name calling. I believe there is a verse in the good book that goes something like this; ye without sin cast the first stone. I?m sure everybody whether knowingly or not has run into or come across an incident that caused some sort of misfortune to someone else. Just remember, there are always 2 sides to every story.

I (couesarcher) was in there archery pig hunting while Terry was in there for archery deer. As far as the quads being were they were. The animals are not going to see the quads and say to themselves, there are hunters in here lets stay away. In fact when I came back from park tank, around

1 pm, I glassed the basin and spotted 2 does within 15 yards of the quads. We were not trying to get in front of you to take a deer as you claim.

I talked to Terry (25-06) this morning; his computer is down so he is not able to comment on this situation.

Again I want to apologies for you hardship on Sunday. We hope you have no hard feeling towards us.

Terry (couesarcher) and Terry (25-06).

couesarcher, nice reply and explanation. Nicely stated and at least you guys are communicating what transpired, wether it was right or not....

I was also sitting a tank on Saturday and a truck pulled up, 2 hunters got out in 1/2 camo and half jeans. 3 does were at the tank and they then went back to the truck and grabbed their bows (my partner saw this from the hillside). Then I heard them using the grunt tube. I slowly stood up and "waved" and they departed. If only it was always that easy. Our vehicle was parked 100 yards from the tank and was clearly visible.

It comes down to education and hunting courtesy.

Hang in there your day will come!

Devin, The guy that you ran into was my bud Daniel....I told him to meet me at the tank, and when he seen you wave your hand he thought you were me he never intended to screw up your hunt. Terry Lambeth

Hey Becker, Just want'ed to set the record straight. heres the other half of the story. my wife and i decided to go hiking and meet 25-06 at the tank we hunted for years, i see a hand poke out of a blind, i think its my bud, i went for a closer look, found out it was not terry, oops, i understand i f up at that point, but you acted like you own the deed to the land buddy, thanks for giving my wife and l the good hunters hospitality. Daniel B)

Sounds like you guys got this worked out. It is understandable if he thought he was meeting somebody there that he'd come up to the blind.

I've been walked up on while sitting and the hunters usually see me then walk off. The folks that go ahead in sit right down are the ones that are being inconsiderate and dumb. Dumb because of the wind situation. If somebody beats you to a tank then go somewhere else.

If in doubt sneak up on a tank and glass the trees etc. If there is somebody there sneak quietly away. That's the way I do it anyhow.

I think we?ve all been there. I was sitting a tank in 5B south for archery bull. When the sun came up we had a guy walk right up and sit not 10 yards from where we were at. The Bulls where going nuts and this guy started eating a sandwich. We started cow calling (10yards away) and the guy never even looked up. We finally got his attention and his response was ?have you guys seen anything this morning?. On the flip side (if your second to a spot your SOL) I had a rifle bull tag in 6A back in 1995 we had put this bull to bed every night for at least a month solid and figured out that he went to a certain area when the pressure got a little stronger on the ridge above the canyon. There is only two ways in and they both meet up on one road to the canyon edge we were on the high road and we noticed two vehicles coming in on the low road and when they spotted us the truck in the lead started doing about 55 mph to get in front of us. I didn?t care because I knew they were going to the end of the ridge. We pulled up and parked about a ? of a mile from the end. The second vehicle showed up and said that they had three hunters going down that ridge and it just wasn?t big enough for everybody and we needed to leave. Subtracting the verbal comments we told them that we weren?t going out on the ridge and we went up the canyon @ ? mile they lined up on the ridge and started glassing the canyon and we ended up shooting at that bull when he came out exactly were we knew he would be but didn?t get to stock for a closer shot as they had threatened use so we did what we could (600 yards down in the canyon dropped like stone took a hour and fifteen minute to get to him and at five yards he gets up and hauls a^^) needless to say the two guys in the lead truck (x softball coach @ Mingus) worked that canyon sun up to sun down and would spot elk and then call their kids or clients to come look at the bulls when they could get there. In the meantime they would run off anybody and everybody that came anywhere near there location (and them %$*$@%@@ didn?t even have a tag). The funniest part of this story is they ended up killing a bull that first day that scored around 300 and it was in the bottom of one of the nastiest canyon in AZ. And because of them I got to hunt with Ben Johnson (whom they ran off as well) on his final elk hunt in AZ before he past away. Made everything that happened on that first day a small matter but I hope someday I run into them again.

Buckhorn

boy talk about hunter ethics.we been working a stand since nov. a hunter came across it at 11:00.am they were sitting sitting our trail by 12:30 "3 hunters now.my camera was there and took 10 pictures of them sitting there and checking out all the tracks.one of my hunting partners went to check our stand and found them hunting it.they showed no respect and just laughed at him and told him it was there stand now.we took our camera and left.I know we all hunt on public land but man if you come across a trail and you can tell someone put a lot of effort into an area and his stuff is there,show a little respect.as a side note "I've hunted this range the last 5 years at least 1/2 of the month of jan.every year and never of seen another hunter".mike