Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Anbody Seeing Pigs

I am wondering how everybody else is doing chasing pigs, I have been out 4 full days and have not seen one (I keep getting sidetracked with deer), but usually I can find one. Been in different areas in 33 and 37B with no luck...yet. Still plenty of time, let me know how your doing.

Redman

Drilled mine at 20 yds yesterday in 23 with some help from the wife spotting from a distance away given hand signals until I got close enough.

Couldn't see any once I got in the spot so I pulled out my J-13 and started screaming.

They came right in 6 or more.

Had to pick and chose. It was cool.

Figured out the easy way to pack him out.

One of those slip on rifle slings fits snug over front and back legs.

Found 1 decent little 3 pt WT shed on the way to them. And a 3x3 Muley lion kill Sat in another area.

Been a good Dec/Jan for me and the sheds and lion kill heads. Found 4 Kills 2 WT,2 MD and 3 nice sheds allready in past month or so.

Sent a few friends into 22 where I been driving by to my area they found a herd of 16 but his string came off drawing back. Sure they'll o back at it Sat.

Dan

Redman - As well, I've been out about 4-5 times in 33/37B. I only have come across one spot where I actually saw some pigs.

All of my great spots from last year have been devoid of any real activity. In each case, sign was light, old, or nonexistent...

"One of those slip on rifle slings fits snug over front and back legs."

Years ago I made a "pig carrier" out of a thick piece of sheepskin and some leather shoe thongs. It worked great and I carried out a lot of hogs with it over the years until I lost it. One thong goes over the jaw with the mouth open so the tusks keep the thong from pulling out. The other thong goes through a hole in the gambrel of just one leg. The wider the sheepskin the more comfortable it will be. Here's a quick sketch. BillQ

post-46-1136950178.jpeg

post-46-1136950392.jpeg

Only one shot so far and goofed it. The oldest now has her hunters safety card so the game is on. Hopefully this weekend we will tag 3.

Shane

We have hunted 5 days and are 4 out of 6 so far. 1 of those 4 was the guys 1st big game animal, he did a good job putting the sneak on those javalina.

Dan, every time I get on a call I see nothing but the hind end of the hog running the opposite direction, maybe I need to get some calling lessons from you.

Sounds like Mike has the spot, already 7 hogs <_< , Good job Mike.

Billl, that is a cool design, I may make me something like that.

Kinda cool using the sling method.

It was easy walking.

The J-13 has only failed me once in atleast 5 times other 4 we tagged out.

Down by Oracle in 37B we had a herd just turn and haul butt the other way.

In 22,23, and 24b it has worked every time.

Go to Yahoo type j-13. He has live instructions.

I just followed his methods and it works great.

A few pigs Sunday came in hair standing straight up.

I was thinking I may have to use my bow as a bat. But I just stood still and took small steps and they just were'nt sure of it all.

Couple others just ran right to me and stopped. They were to small.

They were just not sure what was standing there.

I ducked down and called again and they all came right back.

Hoping to call for a friend in 23 this weekend and 24b for 2 others the last 2 weekends.

Then the wifes 24b HAM.

She's nervous after watching the whole calling thing again.

This is her 2nd time experiencing the j-13 calling.

I spotted 2 huge coyotes 2 weeks in a row on the same hill.

I need to dedicate 1 morning and hike with the .243 to try and take atleast 1 of them out.

I want a full mount yote for my pool room.

Dan

Dan.

Have you tried grunting with your voice? Back when I still could pull a bow John Doyle and I killed two javelinas in the Tumacacoris that we had called in by grunting. When we spotted the herd about 100 yards out, both of us started making "Ugghhh! Ugghh! Ugghh!" sounds and all of them came straight to us. I shot mine at under five yards, then squatted down so John could shoot over me and kill his. His was almost close enough for me to touch when he shot. Every hog in that herd had its hackles up and was rattling its teeth. Two or three of them attacked my wounded hog and started biting it before it went down.

I saw the same thing a couple of years later when a friend called a herd to me with an ordinary predator call and I dropped it in its tracks at about three or four long steps with the first arrow. After that we experimented and found that constant calling worked best. They moved toward us as long as we called. When we stopped they stopped. Again they came in acting as if they were mad as heck.

This was before compound bows and bow sights. I didn't practice as much as I should have with my recurve, so I made it a point to not shoot at anything farther from me than the length of my truck. Wish I were physically able to hunt them with a bow again.

BillQ

Yea, I have had the baby footballs running with mama calling for them and I mimic'd the mama's crying by mouth in 22 couple years ago and had the babies running back towards me twice.

It was intended to "Lure" the mama for a shot but she kept her distance.

Thought that was cool. I will attempt the mouth method some time when I am in a herd again.

Dan

Bill,

I have called alot in from grunting. We usually start grunting if we spook the herd and have called back hogs to get some real close shots just like you discribed. They are really fun to hunt with a bow. I think it is because there is always alot of action once you find them.

Bill,

I have called alot in from grunting. We usually start grunting if we spook the herd and have called back hogs to get some real close shots just like you discribed. They are really fun to hunt with a bow. I think it is because there is always alot of action once you find them.

I loved hunting them with a bow because I could get so close to them if I moved slowly and quietly, stayed downwind, and didn't move a whisker when they were looking my way with their poor eyes. God made javelinas to be hunted with a bow or a muzzleloader. I shot a few with flintlocks, too.

Bill

we woof at them all the time.only when we break the heard up.it drives them crazy to woof and woof some more at them.we did take one in the late 90's calling with a varmit call after we broke the heard.I recommend try woofing.man does it work.mike

Bill

We are lucky to you on this site. I appreciate all the information and experiance that you share.

Good luck to all the bowhunters out there.

Keven