Sign in to follow this  
couesobsession

Dove Hunting Poll

55 members have voted

1. 1. For a box of 25 shells, what take of doves qualifies as good shooting?

• 1-3
    • 3-5
    • 5-7
    • 7-9
    • 9-11
    • 11-13
    • 13-15
    • 15+

Well, with dove season a month away, I thought that I'd ask a very interesting and debatable question, what qualifies as good shooting for hunting doves? The way the dip, turn, swivel, duck, and rise in flight means that they arent the easiest bird to hit. Obviously if you answer above 10, that includes seperate outings.

One time I shot a limit with 12 shells.

The very next day, it took me 2.5 boxes to get 8 birds.

I have had similar experiences, desertbull. I once shot 6 in a row with as many shells and then it Took me the rest of that box and another to hit the final 4. An average is what I'm interested in.

I average about 1 box, 12 swear words and zero desire to eat my harvest.

I've had those days, soak em in milk for 12 hours before you cook them. They be alright.

I usually go 10/10..... When I shoot them out of a tree :D

I have had a couple of bad experiences dove hunting.... I havent done it in years.

I once took 9 dove with 20 shots . I thought I had 10 and quit . Most times I dont average near that high .

Any body ever get one with leg band ? I got one with leg band north of Tucson a few years back .

I usually go 10/10..... When I shoot them out of a tree :D

I have had a couple of bad experiences dove hunting.... I havent done it in years.

Mind if I ask what bad experiences? Not being able to hit the little bugers?;) Or another hunter's stupidity? Landowners? If you dont want to tell then thats fine.

I have a friend that is good, but I assumed the question is at me. I have never seen him go halfway through a box for his limit. I am always yelling I'm out and running for the truck. But here is where our lines of thinking split and the results wind up like they are. He is having the best time when he's focused and sure he will get it, many birds pass by. I dont get out often and I love the blast of a shotgun. I have no intention of having left over shells. What do you mean that's too far....bang..bang..bang... yep too far. I enjoy shooting and shooting. When else can you hunt and blow through 50 shells standing in one spot.

I have not been out with friends though in a long time. They still like the same haunts, and the many birds in them. I no longer have tollerance for people. I cannot get peppered and not get mad. I cannot watch someone swing their gun following a bird and shoot when I'm in the background. Used to be more patient with it, but there are just too many stupid folks out there. It is a funny sport because it will bring out the best and absolute worst people.

Ever seen the lawn chair and beer style? The ones that show up after its light and park next to where youve walked too?

I like to use buttermilk it cuts the gamey taste a little better for me. What kind of milk do you use? 1%,2% or whole?