tjwking

does anybody know this person?

so what if you're like me, tall, good lookin', smart, rich, muscular, snakes die when the bite me, the guy on the beer commercial thinks i'm interestinger than him, and i'm smart. is it ok to hate me just cuz? Lark.

• Like 2

Interesting that Craig hasn't been around to refute any of DL's comments....hmmm. Another interesting fact is that Craigs guide did become friends with DL.

I have been. But what is the point? DL See's things his way and I see things my way. What has happened has happened, there's no going back. TRUST me, I wish I could take the shot back and do right and not panic.

I can get you not wanting to continue a pointless argument. And do not feel bad about your shot, thats just part of hunting. We all get excited and that could happen to anyone. It is unfortunate to wound a bull but it happens. If all of us let a bad shot linger in our heads we would ALL be hanging our heads. Sounds to me like there are some common truths here as well. Unit 10 is a busy unit this time of year and it would be dang hard if you were hunting in the middle of that mess to keep a bull from getting pushed. Like I said before, there are some main points where you guys see things completely different but if I sit back and look at both points of view I can see the mix up. I said that unless DL came on and refuted the main points my opinion would not change about him ut he did. He gave a different version on each and every point. Except to the fact that he knew the bull was wounded but I think he said as soon as he knew the bull was wounded he backed out. I guess the other question is, are you 100% positive it was them walking back through where that bull was after G&F left? If you're not then you made a big booboo posting it was them! I mean its not like we all have a different sense of fashion when we're hunting, it would be pretty easy to mistake two guys for two different guys. I mean, the simple fact that the area you guys were in was loaded with hunters could throw both of your stories into a complete tail spin. 1 other thing I think you can feel better about is the fact that if it was a high one lung shot, that bull is probably still alive, unless someone else poked a hole in him. If had hadn't been pushed you may have had a shot but once that bull got pushed it wouldv'e been pretty easy for him to live.

Now give me the GPS coordinates to where you last saw the bull and I'll go get him with my November tag. I'll let both of you have pictures taken with him. LOL

Donnie

If anyone has issues with the way things are being handled as far as what is legal/illegal in Arizona,

I suggest them getting involved with the powers that be in order to change things in the state.

Speak with the AZGFD Commission and get things moving in the direction you think is best.

Donnie, you have a good rifle tag in 10. If you change your mind about going, there are organizations I urge you to look at

for possibly donating your tag/s. they can make a kids dream come true and really make a positive out of your dilemma.

It's been quiet out there for some. I think the hunt was a bit early this year. The rut should be kicking in hard after the archery hunt is over.

The early rifle guys are going to have fun.

i

i'VE GOT A 6A ELK RIFLE TAG THAT i MAY OR MAY NOT GET TO USE, WHAT ARE SOME OF THOSE PLACES THAT YOU MENTION COULD USE A DONATED TAG IF i DONT GET TO GO , SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS MY SHIFT BUTTON IS STICKING

I thought this got nuked? Here we go again! Lol

Man, I heard about this thread but hadn't read thru it till now. At the time I was buried in the elk woods and as for moderating, I had multiple folks keeping an eye on the site and told them to let me know as soon as names started being mentioned or slandered and moderation will then happen. From what I've read, it's a bunch of opinions and for the most part names were never mentioned or slandered. Also, the folks that were named never came to me and asked for it to be nuked.

I figured some of you would still like to know a few FACTS about the bull that was shot. Craig did shoot the bull high, and high enough that the arrow was above the spine harmlessly in the top of the backstrap. The bull was back to chasing cows soon after the incident and his arrow wound was well on it's way to healing up! My guide did an amazing job scouting and patterning these bulls, he got Craig up close and personal with a huge bull, and even after all the emotions, misunderstandings or whatever, he still made it a point to help out the other hunter when our clients were done! I'm very picky when it comes to my guides and every one of them works hard, is very ethical and respectful of the game as well as other hunters. In this situation, I know my guide came off very upset at first but he firmly believed he was cut off and firmly believed the other guides or their spotters watched Craig put an arrow in the bull and still went after him, regardless if it was a fatal hit or not, and I'm pretty sure I would've equally misunderstood and would've been just as upset. Misunderstanding or not, it happened, it's over, and fortunately Craig's shot was a minor flesh wound and not a gut hit. Unfortunately for that particular bull, my same guide relocated him and helped me sneak our early rifle hunter in on him and finished the deal 2 weeks later. This bull appeared as healthy as normal and I watched him chasing and herding a huge group of cows the night before we killed him. The next morning, with help from my guide, I got the bull to bugle and my hunter and I snuck in and filled his tag. This all happened in the exact same spot where Craig shot him on the archery hunt. No posse, no spotters, just a bugling bull and a guy with a rifle, it's not very hard at that point ;)

Not 400", but 390" straight up 6 ain't too shabby! The arrow hole was healed up with no infection!

DaveyBull21.jpg

DaveyBull16.jpg

I just read through this thread today was feeling a little ashamed that I spent all morning doing it haha! Interesting to see how it all played out and what a terrific elk!!! I would have been upset too if I had not down'd him. It'll be interesting to see if this thread keeps going now. ;)

No reason for it to keep going in any negative fashion. Although I've never met the individual guide, I'm friends with the owner of the other outfit and I was actually hunting with him in 9 at the time this went down. What happened in 10 was unfortunate and he felt the same. I'm going to believe it was a misunderstanding and not hold it against anybody involved. They are a respectful and respected outfit and their hunter (doublelung) is a good guy!

My point in posting was to show the bull never suffered and was ultimately taken in an ethical and humane fashion. I do feel bad for Craig, but having a bull like that at 20 yards will get under anyone's skin and messing up the shot is easier than some "over-confident" hunters will admit.

So, it's all good, it's a beautiful, extremely long beamed bull and a lot of folks had the great pleasure of seeing him in person doing what elk do best, ruttin' and bugling! JIM>

Beautiful bull and another example of just how tough these animals are!

i'VE GOT A 6A ELK RIFLE TAG THAT i MAY OR MAY NOT GET TO USE, WHAT ARE SOME OF THOSE PLACES THAT YOU MENTION COULD USE A DONATED TAG IF i DONT GET TO GO , SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS MY SHIFT BUTTON IS STICKING

Contact Eddie Corona at OE4A.

I know they will have a good place for your tag and kudos to you for making the best out of your tag since you can't go.

My point in posting was to show the bull never suffered and was ultimately taken in an ethical and humane fashion. I do feel bad for Craig, but having a bull like that at 20 yards will get under anyone's skin and messing up the shot is easier than some "over-confident" hunters will admit.

What a toad of a bull. I'm pretty sure I'd make that shot at that distance on that bull... right after I went back to camp and got a change of drawers. ;)

Thanks for posting the update--I wasn't on this board last year but read the whole thread a couple weeks back and laughed at the typical message board behavior, jumping to conclusions, etc. I'm glad to see that he didn't lay down and die in a brushy drainage for the coyotes to feast on and that some other hunters got to see him cruising the flats one more time.

this post has me worried about my upcoming bull hunt. I know how we can follow specific animals closely thru scouting and cameras but the bottom line is the animal or the area (unless private land) doesn't belong to any one person or guide service. I've heard stories like this before and they quite often involve guides. Not sure what that means but because its their full-time job to locate animals doesn't mean I can't scout and hunt the same area. Again from the stories I've read it seems to me that some guide services act like bullies.

• Like 1