Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Happy Birthday Bill Quimby!!

Hey Bill,

I hope you had a wonderful day today! and perhaps you will be enjoying a nice meal with your wife tonight. Hopefully you are out enjoying the cool air in the high country!

Thanks again for your many contributions to this website through your artwork and extensive knowledge about hunting in AZ!

Thank you, Amanda, for your kind words and for creating this website.

My wife and I stopped celebrating birthdays at least a decade ago. We do plan to do something special if we both live another five years, though. 2016 will mark the 60th year of our marriage, and this is a greater accomplishment than merely reaching three-quarters of a century in age.

Bill Quimby

Happy Birthday Bill and like Amanda said you have given so much information on hunting here on this site and around the world and I appreciate having known a man of you character. Peg and I hope you and your wife share many more together and we will be waiting to celebrate your 60th year of marriage. Hope this day was a special one and give our best to your wife from Peg and I. :)

TJ

Sr. Bill,

Since you stoped having Birthdays long time ago.....well, have a NICE day and many more days to come but many, many, more :) Take care Sr. Bill, we are blessed to have you on this site.

Ernesto C

Thank you all. I love this site. Although I've not met many of you, I feel I know all the regular posters. You are great people.

We had an exciting day. Jean spent it covering my animal heads with sheets and generally getting the cabin ready for closing it for the winter. I spent it by taking trash and garbage to the Eagar transfer station and working frantically to hang all the joists for the 10x46-foot deck I'm building on the cabin's street side. (I'll finish it next spring.)

We need to head back to Tucson next week and get one of our rentals ready to advertise. A Canadian couple who had leased it again this winter called last night to say they can't come because his spinal surgery last week didn't go well.

Anyone know someone who needs a nice, totally furnished place in Green Valley this winter?

Bill Quimby

If anyone is interested, I drove over the mountain to Show Low yesterday, and the aspen leaves near A-1 Lake were bright gold. The aspens in our yard are just beginning to turn. The next two to three weeks will be great for watching the annual fall color show. Wish I didn't have to miss it.

Happy Birthday to one of my idols growing up. I always thought of you as semi-famous also. Good to see you doing well. Someday I will also eventually a sheep tag but I will not break my leg!

Wow, Big Tub. That's a big pair of boots you've given me to fill -- even larger than my regular 14Ds. Thank you.

Not that it matters, but it was an arm that I broke on the first day of my long-awaited sheep hunt. It was Pete Knagge who broke a leg while sheep hunting a year later. Although we both shot rams, a broken leg is a much bigger handicap than a broken arm and he deserves an award for persistence and toughness.

At any rate, I hope that when you finally draw your tag that nothing is broken and you bring home the best ram in the unit.

Bill Quimby

The old stories are getting a little fuzzy for me! :D 22 bonus points and counting. I sure did enjoy your column. Pete was too much of a liberal hippie for me, more of the nonconsumptive wildlife user. :)

You're just beginning to apply with only 22 bonus points. It took 39 consecutive years of applying before I drew my tag! My good friend Bill Mattausch drew his tag (for Arivaipa Canyon no less!) last year after 35 years. Getting a permit is the toughest part of desert sheep hunting, unless you've got a fat wallet and can afford a hunt in Mexico.

Bill Quimby

Maybe you dan draw a Rocky Mt tag for your birthday? I had been putting in the sheep draw about 7 years before the bonus point thing so I'm getting up there. I did give up on Arivipa and just go with the unit my taxidermists tells me.