Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Quality all purpose knife for field dressing?

lots of positive feedback here on havalons.

I have found that old knives use a lot better steel and as such will hold an edge a lot longer than newer knives. when I say old I mean 50 years old. you can still find lots of old knives that are in excellent condition.

when I was a kid my dad gave me a fixed blade official boy scout knife made by western. I used that knife to clean many, many salmon in AK. when I started hunting seriously again about 15 years ago I tried a new knife and found out it was crap. the next year I went to my old western and that is what I still have in my pack.

if I was going to recommend a newer knife that I personally have favorable knowledge of I would recommend an Opinel. they are not that fancy but use good steel and are fairly inexpensive.

This is an outside the box suggestion so take it for what it is: Victorinox serrated paring knife.

Light weight (0.5oz), balanced, inexpensive (around $5), razor sharp, holds its edge, resharpens quickly (less time than i can change my havalon blades) and stout enough to twist and pry if need be. Give one a try, you won't be sorry...... And when you speak of me, speak well....

Dave

I used the Havalon Piranta last year on a Coues Deer for the first time. Since then I took out all my other knives and now I only carry 1 Havalon Piranta with spare blades. 1 multi purpose knife for taking of the blades and general field maintenance. I was able to reduce my pack by almost 3 pounds by taking out all my other knives. I used to carry 3-5 knifes just in case. I've had to skin animals with dull knives. I will hopefully never have to do that again. The Havalon knives are very sharp and extremly light. I will always have one in my pack.

As a Guide I do quite a few animals a year and after using a Havalon I will never go back to anything else. I keep a Havalon and a Leatherman in my pack and I do the gutless method. I became a dealer because every client that has watched me use one buys one from me. I sold 6 to a Game and Fish supervisor so he could give one to each of his officers. All the other guides I know use Havalon knives and most taxidermists.

Rod