Sign in to follow this  
NoDinks

Bear hunting with dogs..

Do you support hunting bear with dogs  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support hunting bear with dogs?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you still a sportsman/hunter if you shoot a bear treed by dogs (legally)?

• Yes
    • No

I can respect dogs with lions! They are tough to find and are always on the move unless on a kill!

The law changed within the past ten yrs or so to make that illegal, before that the client didn't have to be present, so nobody was breaking the law!

Let's face it! Dogs drastically increase ur odds especially in bear country! Also when ur odds go up so does everyones! And if we all shoot a treed bear on the opening morning of spring hunt, then the annual sow limit will keep 99% of u from ever getting a chance to hunt! Treed bears are too easy. I have treed two younger ( 4yrs old?) bears in the past year with nothing but a human chase. I get it's fun! But it's there natural instinct to tree to avoid danger n not come down till it's gone,(a prime reason why bears die in forest fires)! I'm not saying it should be illegal, bc it takes work to train the dogs. But I just wouldn't respect anyone who used dogs other than their own trained dogs! If u need to hire dogs u should stick to hunting javalina bc u probably don't deserve a bear!

You cant use dogs to run bear on the spring hunt. Tell me something, do you think its ok to run dogs for lion in prime coues country during a rifie hunt.

"But I just wouldn't respect anyone who used dogs other than their own trained dogs! If u need to hire dogs u should stick to hunting javalina bc u probably don't deserve a bear!"

Mister, you know nothing about which you speak.

Bill Quimby

Ur talking to a guy who has 4 dogs used to hunt birds and small game! 2 GSP, 1 Vizsla, 1 Weimaraner. They are great for birds! And I have put many of hours to training them! I understand that! But if I rent them out for use that doesn't make the user a good hunter or dog trainer! How do u explain to your kids that you spent $2000 to run up a hill and shoot a bear out of a tree that had been up there a half hour because someones dogs had chased it there! It's not hunting it's just shooting bc that's all the trigger puller is doing! He doesnt put in the leg work! In that case u might as well jog around the zoo for a couple hours then get u a whole trophy room of game and call yourself Ted! I respect a guy who puts in the time and effort to shoot an animal! Just like a guy who puts in time and effort to save hunting by doing it right and all legal! I am totally in understanding that dog hunting is physically tough for the client, but a true hunter has three aspects, physical toughness, mental toughness, and skill/knowledge in my book!

I see no difference in us chase a bird and having our dogs point it or a person who runs their dogs for other game.

25-06- I wouldn't run em during any other draw hunt period! Then again I probably wouldn't run dogs at all for big game!

Kninebirddog- the difference is birds haul butt and and u get one or two shots. Bears stay till u kill em or let em go! It's not a take ur time aim n shoot till u hit with birds! Any kid can shoot a stationary target given enough shells!

Anyone who thinks hunting using dogs is hard! Try doing it without n tell me which ur more successful with!

"But I just wouldn't respect anyone who used dogs other than their own trained dogs! If u need to hire dogs u should stick to hunting javalina bc u probably don't deserve a bear!"

Mister, you know nothing about which you speak.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I dont think this feller has had much book learnin.

but a true hunter has three aspects, physical toughness, mental toughness, and skill/knowledge in my book!

How can you draw a line between using dogs to hunt bears (or lions) to being a true hunter? NoDink's I don't know you from Adam, but your coming off pretty arrogant.

Please post pictures of a coues deer you've taken that scores over 120 inches, mule deer scoring over 180 inches and an elk scoring over 350 inches so I can respect you.... oh I forgot you must have taken all with a homemade recurve, because any "true" hunter would not use a commercially made bow or gun.

Now I am being facetious with the above paragraph....but come you took at shot at Uncle Ted, he has done more to protect your hunting rights than you ever will.

Its absurd you think its OK to hunt birds with dogs and not big game.....

I revoke my previous statement about uncle Ted! I actually like him amd backstraps! I'm no pro hunter but I know the difference between hunting and killing. Anyone who has used dogs to hunt birds.... How many have u seen that have gotten away? Now how many bears have u treed that have gotten away when u where there? .....There are plenty of shows showing dogs going after birds. Now I bet none of us can name a hunting show that shows a dog hunt on bear? (except Game warden) bc PETA will have that sort of hunting shut down in no time like they are with push hunts, capture hunts, ext... All that forms that look in humane by a pet lovers eye!

bc PETA will have that sort of hunting shut down in no time like they are with push hunts, capture hunts, ext... All that forms that look in humane by a pet lovers eye!

You really think PETA distinguishes one type of hunting from another?

PETA WANTS ALL HUNTING... EVERY TYPE...BIRD, DEER, YOU NAME IT...... SHUT DOWN! YOUR POST IS FUELING THEIR VIEWS. PETA DOES NOT CARE

• Like 1

i hate to tell ya this, but it's real apparant from your anti hunting post here that you don't have a clue what it takes to catch a wild bear. a big ol' rough bear is about 10x as hard to catch as a lion. spend enough time where there is a lion and you'll catch a hot track or find a kill and get him. put your hounds on a bear and you might have to finally give up at the state line. and lions are plenty hard. but they don't kill your hounds very often and they don't take you on a multi unit, cross country race up the roughest canyon they can find to the top of the tallest mountain in the area. and when you put one in a tree a lion will usually stay there long enough you can get em. bears will run intil they're tired, wait for your dogs to catch up, chop em all up for awhile until they get their wind and take off again. when you do get one up a tree, they won't stay there and wait for you to get there. after awhile they'll say forget this and come down and take off again. i've spent days after one bear and lost dogs and had to take new dogs everyday to relieve the dogs i left out there all night on his track and every night pack back wounded or even dead hounds on my saddle. if you've treed bears by yourself then i'd guess they were in a campground or lived on a creek where there were a lot of folks that fished or they were just cubs. if you treed a mean ol' boar somehow, he'd come down and eat your head off after a couple minutes. i don't know where you're getting all your info about folks treeing animals and looking for a client, but i'd hafta guess it's mostly hearsay or pure BS. it's illegal as h e l l and has been for decades. some of the most infamous game violaters ever in this state were guys that tried that and finally got caught. and your attitude is pretty dangerous. it's the same kinda attitude that got bearhounds outlawed in colorado and cost Az 25% of it's lion season. and your post is anti hunting. you don't like bear hunters for some reason and are trying to start some kind of deal to see if there is any sympathy for your cause. this is a hunting post and we are all hunters and we all try real hard to support each other. i'd also say that after a day in the saddle in real bear country after a big mean ol' boar you'd be reduced to a shiverin' blob and need counselling from some other anti hunter. it is the hardest work i've ever done and i've done a bunch of it. no campground bears. wild bears in rough country. if you don't like bear hunters then say so. your weak try at justifying your opinion is very illinformed and based on nontruths. and i do know what i'm talking about. Lark.

• Like 1

25-06- I wouldn't run em during any other draw hunt period! Then again I probably wouldn't run dogs at all for big game!

Kninebirddog- the difference is birds haul butt and and u get one or two shots. Bears stay till u kill em or let em go! It's not a take ur time aim n shoot till u hit with birds! Any kid can shoot a stationary target given enough shells!

Anyone who thinks hunting using dogs is hard! Try doing it without n tell me which ur more successful with!

I have personally killed several lions and several bears and I've helped other folks kill a whole pile of bears and a few lions over the years... and not a single one of em' has been with dogs. I've had MUCH tougher hunts with hounds and have yet to kill a critter while using hounds. I hope one day I get to experience taking a lion or bear after chasing the hounds and watching them sort out a track, lord knows I've put in the miles already!

NoDinks... it's apples and oranges. Just like shooting a deer with a rifle at 600 yards or shooting one at 20 yards with a recurve, it's just different styles of hunting and in the end it's hunting just the same. You have the right to decide what style of hunting you like, and you also have the right to dislike or disagree with other styles of hunting. BUT, to announce it so negatively such as you have here, and unfortunately probably elsewhere in public, you are only damaging the sport of hunting and THAT INCLUDES whatever styles you personally like and approve of! Hunting is hunting as far as the anit's are concerned, and talking like you do about a different style of hunting can easily turn a non-hunter into an anti, and that will directly affect you as well as houndsmen. JIM>

i hate to tell ya this, but it's real apparant from your anti hunting post here that you don't have a clue what it takes to catch a wild bear. a big ol' rough bear is about 10x as hard to catch as a lion. spend enough time where there is a lion and you'll catch a hot track or find a kill and get him. put your hounds on a bear and you might have to finally give up at the state line. and lions are plenty hard. but they don't kill your hounds very often and they don't take you on a multi unit, cross country race up the roughest canyon they can find to the top of the tallest mountain in the area. and when you put one in a tree a lion will usually stay there long enough you can get em. bears will run intil they're tired, wait for your dogs to catch up, chop em all up for awhile until they get their wind and take off again. when you do get one up a tree, they won't stay there and wait for you to get there. after awhile they'll say forget this and come down and take off again. i've spent days after one bear and lost dogs and had to take new dogs everyday to relieve the dogs i left out there all night on his track and every night pack back wounded or even dead hounds on my saddle. if you've treed bears by yourself then i'd guess they were in a campground or lived on a creek where there were a lot of folks that fished or they were just cubs. if you treed a mean ol' boar somehow, he'd come down and eat your head off after a couple minutes. i don't know where you're getting all your info about folks treeing animals and looking for a client, but i'd hafta guess it's mostly hearsay or pure BS. it's illegal as h e l l and has been for decades. some of the most infamous game violaters ever in this state were guys that tried that and finally got caught. and your attitude is pretty dangerous. it's the same kinda attitude that got bearhounds outlawed in colorado and cost Az 25% of it's lion season. and your post is anti hunting. you don't like bear hunters for some reason and are trying to start some kind of deal to see if there is any sympathy for your cause. this is a hunting post and we are all hunters and we all try real hard to support each other. i'd also say that after a day in the saddle in real bear country after a big mean ol' boar you'd be reduced to a shiverin' blob and need counselling from some other anti hunter. it is the hardest work i've ever done and i've done a bunch of it. no campground bears. wild bears in rough country. if you don't like bear hunters then say so. your weak try at justifying your opinion is very illinformed and based on nontruths. and i do know what i'm talking about. Lark.

Lark,

Yer right. Its either a smelly stinking hippy or its chrissy hiding behind her bottle of knobb creak just stirin the pot. Anyways "you cant beat a dead horse" Good luck all.

Lark:

I don't think he considers himself an anti-hunter. After all, he told us early on that he has been hunting for all of nine years! Imagine that! He also said he had hunted birds with pointers that he had trained himself.

He also claims to have killed a few bears without dogs, so he probably wants everyone to know how great a bear hunter he is. Problem is, he turns on his computer and arrogance and ignorance simply flow into his posts.

As usual, Lark, your opinions and observations parallel mine: Big old boar bears are tough to put up a tree when hard-pushed by hounds and men on horseback. I've been in on a couple of long bear chases (while hunting lion) without a bear being caught. The bears would run, stop, swat the dogs around, and take off again, only to repeat the process two ridges away. We (hounds, men and horses) were exhausted each time it happened and eventually pulled the dogs off.

I've killed two bears in Arizona. My first was with a handgun atop Doyle Peak above Flagstaff after following Jim Bedlion's hounds to the very top of that steep, 11,460-foot ridge -- a 3,000-foot-elevation gain on foot -- two weekends in a row. My other bear was spotted near the bottom of a canyon while I was hunting mule deer near Camp Verde. I made an easy downhill stalk and killed it from 150 yards away with a .270. We were able to drive to the spot, load the bear and drive away.

I've also been with friends who saw bears while hunting deer and elk, and watched those friends move in and kill their bears.

So if you were to ask me, judging strictly by my own experiences, bear hunting by the "spot and stalk" method is unsportsmanlike and probably should be banned. Those who do it on purpose are shooters and not hunters, and should stick to pursuing half-blind javelinas. They don't deserve their bears.

Just kidding. I know better than that.

Whatever floats his boat is OK with me. However, he shouldn't knock any legal way that others choose to hunt their bears or anything else.

Bill Quimby

.270 I am not anti bear hunting by any means! In the last three years I have shot three bears! I also treed the bear that was in the post by dan about chocolate bear!(it would be dead by me if it wasn't outta season) If that's not a boar I don't know what is! I will also be bear hunting this weekend! I have been involve in six bear kills in the last 5 years. I am the farthest thing from anti hunting! I have spent 32 weekends in the last year hunting! I know bear as well as anyone who has only been at it nine years!

Of u think it's hard doing it with it dogs! Do it without! If it's easier then why would anyone need ur service, when they can take the easy route for the same price! No camp ground bears and no creek bears! I could tell u exactly who was doing the hunts

well excuse the h e l l outta me. goooooooly sargent carter, he's done and been in on 6 bears. 6 of em. everbody but cousin cletus hasta use 2 hands to count that high.....i've done that in a week. i've killed bears with everything that's legal. pistol, bow, rifle, muzzleloader. i've called em in and killed with a bow. i've snuck up on em and killed em with a bow. called em in and killed em with a rifle. treed em, bayed em, glassed em up, shot em on the run. everthing but bait. many times. same with lions. for you so say hunting bears with hounds is some easy cakewalk is a slap in the face of the toughest buncha "MEN" and hounds i ever hung with. you don't have a clue what it takes and there ain't anyway you could do what it takes. and you don't want to know what it takes or you wouldn't say the stupid @$$hole things you say. and, smartguy, if you know of all these guys that are out there treein' all these bears and waiting for some dude to come and shoot it, then the number is 942-3000. call it and turn em in. don't sit here and tell us you know about all this illegal activity and don't do anything about it. what peta chapter are you the president of anyway? i quit hunting bears years ago and if you started right now you won't live long enough to catch up and i ain't nothin' compared to men i know. it takes about a hunnerd grand investment to train a pack o' hounds, feed em, buy and feed your livestock, year round too and then buy saddles and a truck and trailer to punk it all around. i know guys with way over 10 grand tied up in trainin' collars and locaters. and that don't count all the hours you put into it. that's just the start. and most hound guys have a divorce or 2 to pay for along the way. do you have a clue what a top shelf broke hound sells for? more than you'll ever get for every bird dog you'll ever have that's for sure. and i love bird dogs. there is one in my backyard right now. and anybody that can hang onto a saddlehorn long enough to kill a big old mean bear has done something. why do you think folks are lined up to do it? you don't have any da mn idea about what you're talking about. my mule's farts make more sense than you and he's also been on a helluva lot more hunts than you and knows more about it. you could actually learn from him. Lark.