Sign in to follow this  

Got ready to leave Thursday morning and my 14 year old reminded me we needed to call the bear report for 27 before we left.

Unit 27 CLOSED??? Are you kidding me??? Been waiting all year to go out deer/bear hunt combo and they female harvest of 11 has already been met??

How the heck did that happen? Did they lower the harvest limit after the fire???

Anybody have any insight on that??

Boy did that bum me out.

i have been calling for a long long time and never remember 27 ever closing. the annual limit in the regs is 25 . 11 for the genral season. call the azgfd and find out more.

i have been calling for a long long time and never remember 27 ever closing. the annual limit in the regs is 25 . 11 for the genral season. call the azgfd and find out more.

I called them that morning, the 20th to verify that the unit had been closed and she reassured me that it had been closed.

We didn't see any bears this year, but I had intended on doing some serious calling this year.

I haven't actually asked them about the numbers.

I went bear hunting with a cousin in 27 on October 9th. At that time folks from Safford, Clifton/Morenci, etc. were killing bears all over 27. Heck that weekend they killed one in someone's backyard in Morenci. The bears had all moved down the mountains and were being seen in real high numbers in areas where you usually see very few. Hard to believe they killed 11 sows already but if it was going to ever happen this was the year for it. heck we were considering setting up a blind on by the mercantile in Morenci! :lol:

Lee

I went bear hunting with a cousin in 27 on October 9th. At that time folks from Safford, Clifton/Morenci, etc. were killing bears all over 27. Heck that weekend they killed one in someone's backyard in Morenci. The bears had all moved down the mountains and were being seen in real high numbers in areas where you usually see very few. Hard to believe they killed 11 sows already but if it was going to ever happen this was the year for it. heck we were considering setting up a blind on by the mercantile in Morenci! :lol:

Lee

I had heard that what you are describing had happened from a hunting buddy of mine up here. I guess the quota got met and will just have to wait for next year......

I am out coues hunting in 27 and we have seen several bears.....i was bummed the unit had closed. We had a big cinnamon bear at 100 yds last night and watched it feed gor a long time on juniper berries

Hey guys!

It was the youth Mule deer hunt. The kids took anything they saw. The bears were lower and it ended up good for the young guys. Soooooo, they probably waxed some nice Muley's too!

If I were in the shoes of these dads I'd probably tell my kid to shoot to. I was hopeing for the bear to open on my 27 mule deer hunt but got the scoop from locals.

Later!