Sign in to follow this  
james

35A first ever coues buck

ok well here it is finally 4 years in the making . my first ever deer im so dang stoked. 35A, purchased a couple leftover tags on thursday was disaponted with my archery season and the selling of my bow (financial reasons)so decided to give 2011 one more try . was supposed to head out friday morning with my buddy and hit the east side of the huachuca mountains he had to work so it was a solo mission . It tuned out to be a pretty windy day and only glassed up about 8 doe not a buck in sight. day 2 5:15 am we had plans on heading up through fort huachuca towards parker canyon lake and hunt a private ranch but it was a mess in sierra vista with rain, wind, cold just nasty out. so instead we went to breakfast now about 6:30 am our route changed and headed to ash canyon charcoaled trees from the monument fire rain, rain, rain no deer in sight no other hunters to be found almost called it a day and waited for the evening hunt but decided to take the long way around to parker lake through the national monument in hopes it would clear up. now 8 am up in the clouds wind blowin, raining and foggy as anything we come up to this hairpinned turn snow started coming down . i look up the hillside and there he is silhouetted with the backdrop of clouds staring down at us i yelled out RACK!!!!! i jump out of the truck it begins to snow and the wind picks up not ready at all dig through my bag for the ammo load it up take aim BANG!!! didnt move must have nicked the top of him cycled another round BANG!!!! REALLY ANOTHER MISS :blink: is this how its gonna unfold. as i pulled my gun from the truck i hit the scope on the door in all the excitement and had to throw it off :unsure: :blink: NOOOOO MY BUCK RUNS i get back in the truck in disbeleif and give the bad news we start to drive away and HOLY Sh!$ :o he's still there but now tucked away behind a boulder on the other side of the ridge then dips away again we get about 1/2 mile down the road i tell my buddy just go back man he cant be gone . get back to the opposite side of the ridge there he is standing broadside behind some scrub oak i have about a 1 foot window all i see is his belly and legs i take aim 60 degree angle uphill about 140 yards my last chance now, take aim again for the third time :D aim a foot below him BANG!!!!!! his leg went up and actually seen him wince stumbled 5 feet gone ( where did he run to dang ) jumped back in the truck drove around to the other side of the ridge and started my way up the ridge line made it to the top no deer in sight. walked down the hillside to where i could see the road looked to my left blood he made it about 5 feet and droppped layed up against a yucca at this point all was adrenaline was used up dropped to my knees placed my hand between his rack and thanked that deer to no end . it was a horrible 100+ yard downhill drag to the truck my legs were like rubber lol post-4639-0-11628300-1320633147_thumb.jpg

after further inspection it turned out to be a partial gut shot through the second rib and either hit his lung or heart

but either way dropped him in his place with my third shot lol 3 shots one kill!!!

post-4639-0-55242000-1320633125_thumb.jpg

post-4639-0-05100600-1320633263_thumb.jpg

post-4639-0-45918400-1320633299_thumb.jpg

i have yet to score him and dont have dressed weight as of yet

sorry this isnt a miraculous 800 yard shot with hours of glassing and stalking

but it was a miraculoius 3rd shot :rolleyes: we still had one more tag to fill but have not been able to locate a tag filler in our 2 day hunt

Congratulations on the first buck. The second one might be harder to take than this one.......haha.

Call Larry Whitney in Huachuca City at 520-266-3328. He has done three shoulder mounts for me, and his price is right. Great guy too! PM me if you want any more details. Congrats on a nice buck!

What A Great Buck! Congratulations!