Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

bullet selection

i recently purchased a 300 ultra, rem 700, mostly for coues and lopes, maybe a few muleys. I have also started recearching bullet choices. i know i want a 180'ish gr. for the best BC i can get. i have been looking at the hornady SST, nosler balistic tip, nosler partition, swift scriacco. I've decided against the barnes tripple shock. I know they shoot great but i know people who havent had the greatest luck on coues w/ them.any info would help thanx

All good choices. Maybe look at the Nosler Accubond. Myself I'll be trying out the new Barnes MRX this off season.

I'd be interested in hearing about the negative results on coues with the Barnes TSX. I toted the 300WSM loaded with TSX's this past coues season, but didn't let one fly.

I just received a box of the 180 Scirocco IIs to try in the 300WSM. Have had real good results with the Nosler Accubond on elk, mulies, whitetail and feral hogs. Accubonds have been more accurate than other game bullets in my three 300's. I had difficulty getting the SST, Interbonds and original Sciroccos to group well. The Scirocco IIs are supposed to be more accurate-we'lll see. I'd be leary of the SST at close range. The 180 Ballistic Tips have a heavier jacket than other BT's (the 120gr 7mm BT's are also stouter)

RR

another vote for the Accubond, because of doug ( RedRabbit) i have loaded accubonds in my 7mag, 270wsm, 7 ultra, 30-06, and 270. they are very accurate and are suppposed to be top notch! they killed two coues bucks this year with no complaints! one from my dads 7RUM, and one from my 270wsm.

i have only loaded interbonds one time, they grouped .75 through my 270wsm with a random powder, and random lenght... defientaly some potential!

I shoot a 300 Wby Mag. and I have always used Barnes X bullets in it. We have had Exellent results with the bullet.... 2 Caribou, 2 Elk, 1 Mulie, & 3 Coues. My Son shot his coues deer with it this year at 610 yds.... the buck went 50 yds. My wife "dumped" her bull at 370yds and her Coues at 170 yds....both hit the ground on impact. All kills have been complete pass through, reguardless of what bones it has to go through. Very little meat loss even when large bone, like the shoulder is shattered. I have had no reason to use any other bullet. :) You have to choose a bullet that you can believe in. Good luck!

I too have always used Barnes bullets and I have not a single complaint. I've shot feral hogs, Eastern Whitetail, Mule deer, javelina and Elk with them and they have performed as advertised in my 30-06. I recently purchased a Remington 700 XCR in 300 WSM and will also shoot barnes bullets until they give me a reason to switch.

I also shoot a 300 rem ultramag along with a Warbird. I load up 150grn tripple shocks with 103grns of reloader 25.The velocity is 3883fps and CE is .575. I have not had any probs losing coues.I shot a 95 inch buck at 565yrds in november on the rez and had no probs.My buddy shot a 103 inch buck at 642 yrds and he had no probs.This load is very accurate out of my rifle and works for me.Your rifle could shoot different from mine.I will say the recoil is a little more harsh.If you have any questions on ultra mag loads send me an e-mail. Best advice use what works for you. GOOD LUCK

thnx for the info guys, i'll probably have to look harder at the accubond and the tsx, i also just saw that they are making a 165 gr. triple shock in the 300 for 2006

try the plain ol' run o' the mill hornady interlocks. better performance, half the price. been shooting them for years and they work perfect everytime. i wouldn't allow a barnes in my reloading room. after watching lung shot elk run off and having to hunt them down with lanterns at night, that were shot with barnes drill bits, i won't even think o' usin' em. and 2 of em were shot with a .338/.378 weatherby. sorriest bullets i've ever seen. i mean they're ok if you like to see animals run off and die a long drawn out death. i don't buy the 2 bloodtrail deal either. i want a bullet to be wadded up under the skin on the offside and that's what the interlocks do. Lark.

try the plain ol' run o' the mill hornady interlocks.  better performance, half the price.  been shooting them for years and they work perfect everytime.  i wouldn't allow a barnes in my reloading room.  after watching lung shot elk run off and having to hunt them down with lanterns at night, that were shot with barnes drill bits, i won't even think o' usin' em.  and 2 of em were shot with a .338/.378 weatherby.  sorriest bullets i've ever seen.  i mean they're ok if you like to see animals run off and die a long drawn out death.  i don't buy the 2 bloodtrail deal either.  i want a bullet to be wadded up under the skin on the offside and that's what the interlocks do.  Lark.

I think the mistake made in your case is that no matter what bullet you use, if you hit too high (above the center line of the cavity) you will have to chase game.... :ph34r: The kill zone is in the lower half of the cavity.... and two "drain holes" leave a better blood trail than one. At any rate... a Barnes X bullet brakes down elk shoulders like nothing I have ever seen...... and that will anchor them where they stand! B)

don't wanna start a pissin' contest, but i'm the wrong guy to lecture on elk shootin'. i've put down a bunch of em myself and been around on several hundred others. both the bulls that ran plum off were very well hit, multiple times, and with a literal cannon. the barnes bullets might work a little better if you hit some shoulder bones, but they flat suck for lung shots. i was around on 7 bulls this year. all 6x6's or 6x7's. the three that were shot with barnes bullets, all ran off, and after real well placed shots. one was hit again, in the spine, as it hit the trees, and dropped there, but it woulda ran off too. the 4 others dropped in short time. no spine shots, no heart shots, just good shots in the lungs. barnes bullets are made to drill a hole, a little larger than the bore diameter, through the animal. they penetrate real well, but leave very little of the energy in the animal and do very little shock damage to them. in fact, it's been my experience, that well placed lungshot with a broadhead will put a bull down quicker than a barnes in the lungs will. a good copper jacketed lead bullet will flatten out and leave all it's energy inside the animal and shock the heck out of it's system. all copper bullets would be a good choice for cape buffalo, elephant or coastal bears. in fact, if i was gonna hunt kodiaks, they might even be my first choice. but they flat out stink for other stuff and are rapidly getting a real bad reputation with folks that are in the business. enough so that barnes is trying real hard to make em better. i look for em to come out with a lead core bullet or some other design real soon. after this year, i won't ever let a hunter use a barnes while i'm callin' the shots. Lark.

How did the buffalo and elk ivory hunters nearly exterminate both species before the invention of copper jacketed, accubonded, interlocked, tungsten filled bullets etc. etc?

Probably good shootin. Theres been more elk and deer killed with good old Remington Core Lokts, and Winchester power points than with all other bullets combined. Personally I like a bullet that is found under the skin on the far side. When that happens you usually find the contents of the chest cavity on the ground after exiting his nose.

Just my two cents.

these bulls we all DOA, they just D'd a lot farther away than they woulda with different bullets. they were all hit right where you wanna hit em. just them barnes bullets don't mushroom for beans and zip on through, like a drill bit. doing minimal damage on the way. fatal damage, but minimal. like singleshot says, i like to find my bullet under the skin on the off side. like 90% of the stuff i shoot with an interlock. Lark.

Barnes has a new bullet out called the MRX. It has a tungsten core.