Sign in to follow this  
youngbuck

bullet selection

You cant go wrong with the sierra game king, and I also like the hornady interbond, and interlock. I have had great accuracy with all three. On coues I have been shooting nosler ballistic tips that I loaded for my 300 wsm, but I dont recomend them on large game.

my second elk i shot was shot with a sierra game king from about 75 yards with a .308. the bullet was 165 grain and the shot went through the heart, making her to a back flip. we later found that bullet on the far side under the skin perfectly mushroomed with a very high weight retention.

THE SHOT WAS ONLY 75YARDS!!!!! you cant ask for better performance than that. there was a fist sized whole in her heart and i still have the bullet to this day.

i like the interbond, accubond alot but i shoot the accubond although i am thinking about the interbond for my 7mag.

GameKings are a great bullet if you keep them under 3,000 fps. I shoot them out of my 30-06 at around 2800 fps and get great accuracy and the bullets mushroom beautifully! Loaded some for the 25-06 (3,300 fps) and still got the accuracy but hand grenade size holes and copper jacket all through the deer. Resulted in a very dead deer but that type of meat damage is unacceptable to me.

I've stuck with Nosler partitions (going to give the Accubonds a try for deer) out of my 300 Win Mag. The buck I shot this year was only 35 yards and the Nosler Partition punched a hole without nocking the 85 lb buck down. He died 50 yards from where he was shot, but I've knocked elk flat on there you know what with that same load! Maybe the accubond will mushroom better on small critters like coues deer?

Kevin

Kevin, do you call that bullet failure on that buck with the SGK? 35 yards out of a 300WM is pretty dang close, i do not know if any bullets would have opened up a whole heck of a lot from that distance and that speed with out hitting a bone or something. my buck this past year was shot with a 140 accubond out of my 270wsm at a range of 200 yards. thats still probably above 3,000 fps as my muzzle velocity is 3,250. the bullets hit bone and did a number on both shoulders. i dont fault the partition from your gun on that shot. it was a close shot and had probably to high of a velocity to really open up.

My son killed is first elk with a 6.5x55 shooting 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw factory Federal loads at a rated velocity of 2730 fps. The shot was thirty yards and impacted the center of the shoulder. The recovery distance was about sixty yards. I could not find a piece of bullet that weighed over 25 grains. It basically disintegrated, but the damage to internal organs was impressive. I contacted Federal because I was disappointed that the bullet did not hold together wich is what it is designed to do. The professional response from the engineer was that in their oppinion the bullet performed flawlessly. The elk died shortly after impact and more importantly was recovered. He stated that they cannot duplicate bullet performance every time even under laboratory conditions let alone in the field. I found it hard to argue with him.

No Casey, I call that SGK not properly matched to the velocity. As I said, they are a great bullet if you keep them under 3000 fps. Sierra engineers will tell you the same! I'll continue to shoot them out of my 30-06 as they have performed flawlessly in it for deer and an oryx.

The problem of the NP not mushrooming is not unique to a 35 yard shot. I'm curious if it would mushroom at any reasonable distance on a coues deer. They are my favorite bullet for elk and oryx but I'm not sure they are the best bullet for a small animal just like I (emphasis on I) don't think a SGK is the best bullet for high velocity guns!

Kevin

i recently purchased a 300 ultra, rem 700, mostly for coues and lopes, maybe a few muleys. I have also started recearching bullet choices. i know i want a 180'ish gr. for the best BC i can get. i have been looking at the hornady SST, nosler balistic tip, nosler partition, swift scriacco. I've decided against the barnes tripple shock. I know they shoot great but i know people who havent had the greatest luck on coues w/ them.any info would help thanx

The most accurate bullet I ever fired was a 165gr nosler solid base in my sako finnbear 06, put 5 shots in a bit over 3/8 inch,have a friend with a 300 weatherby using same type bullets, very accurate gets his elk every year in colorado go to http://www.nosler.com

thnx for the info guys, i'll probably have to look harder at the accubond and the tsx, i also just saw that they are making a 165 gr. triple shock in the 300 for 2006

Nosler store http://www.nosler.com has lots of factory seconds in several calibers they're bullets with cosmetic blemishes,spoke to a nosler salesman and he said they all hunt with the 2nds cuts down on expenses.

Kevin,

Perhaps the Nosler Partition expanded inside the coues, the front end peeled back to a give a narrow expansion, and a small exit hole was due to the hide stretching as the bullet exited. A small exit may lead you to believe that the bullet did not expand. What kind of internal damage did you observe when field dressing? Usually, a bang-flop results from shock/damage to the CNS.

RR

Kevin,

Perhaps the Nosler Partition expanded inside the coues, the front end peeled back to a give a narrow expansion, and a small exit hole was due to the hide stretching as the bullet exited.  A small exit may lead you to believe that the bullet did not expand.  What kind of internal damage did you observe when field dressing?  Usually, a bang-flop results from shock/damage to the CNS.

RR

Doug,

I didn't gut him, just took the meat off the outside. There was an area around the entrance and exit that was bloodshot (4 or 5 inches in diameter). I guess what suprised me most was that there was no "bang-flop". I wasn't even sure I hit him until I found blood. He died out of sight so I trailed him out. I killed a mule deer several years ago with same load and he never wiggled after the shot. The difference may be I hit ribs going in on him and not on the coues buck.

Believe me, I'm not bashing NP or SGK. I just want the best and I think a bullet that will expand better than the NP on smaller game but, will not fragment is what I'm looking for. Possiblly the Accubond? I'm going to kill an Oryx with a NP this weekend!

Kevin

I agree with you Kevin on the Nosler Partition not expanding on smaller big game. In my experience, they work great on Oryx and Elk becaue of thick hide and heavier bone mass you have to penetrate. A regular expanding bullet like a Corlok works the best for smalller big game if you want them do just hit the dirt. However, I have found that using a Nosler Partition on smaller animal can give you less blood shot meat, but usually leads to having to track your animal a little ways.

Travis

Good ol' Nosler BT's work out of my 300WM. You may get some shock damage but a little meat is better than missing and not having any at all. These bullets are deadly accurate. However, I would not use them on elk sized game.

Any time that you are looking for a bullet and you are shooting at any long distance look for the Balistic Coeficent the higher the number the better it flys.

As in Swift Sciroccos they are a boatail witha high BC.

I have had the best luck with then in my .300 WBY in 180 gr at 2900 fps.

My longest shot was 415yds on a muley in Montana.

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTIN A .300 ULTRA FOR TWO YEARS AND I LOVE IT! I SHOOT 180 GRAIN NOSLER BALLISTIC TIPS AND 101 GRAINS OF RETUMBAL(SPELLIN?)

THIS IS WHAT IT DID TO THE DEER'S HEART I SHOT LAST YEAR. 425 YARDS AND THE HEART WAS COMPLETELY SEVERED AND WAS FLOATING AROUND IN THE DIAPHRAM!

04deer018.jpg