Sign in to follow this  
lfootmatt

Driving route advice needed

Hauling a heavy toy hauler from Tucson to the Springerville/Alpine area in Unit 1 for an upcoming hunt. What is the best route to avoid any really nasty climbs like the Little Colorado canyon East of Globe on the 60?

I don't mind adding a few hours drive time, but would like to avoid the above canyon and any really nasty switch backs.

Thanks,

Matt

We go from Tucson to Eagar a lot and I don't think there is a "good" way. For us, we just bite the bullet and go via Tucson-Globe-Show Low-Hon Dah-Eagar. However, we just try to go on weekdays at non-peak hours and expect to be slow. Also we don't let the tires get older than about 4-6 years.

My sister lives on the east side of Tucson and goes I-10 to Willcox-Safford-Mule Creek-Gleenwood-Luna-Alpine-Nutrioso. It is about an hour longer and maybe a few less up-and-downs but has some narrow section (don't get a flat).

Big Tub is right on. When I am pulling any kind of a load I go through mule creek, Glenwood route. It is more miles on the vehicle but worth it.

We go from Tucson to Eagar a lot and I don't think there is a "good" way. For us, we just bite the bullet and go via Tucson-Globe-Show Low-Hon Dah-Eagar. However, we just try to go on weekdays at non-peak hours and expect to be slow. Also we don't let the tires get older than about 4-6 years.

My sister lives on the east side of Tucson and goes I-10 to Willcox-Safford-Mule Creek-Gleenwood-Luna-Alpine-Nutrioso. It is about an hour longer and maybe a few less up-and-downs but has some narrow section (don't get a flat).

Google maps is showing that route (I-10, 191 N, 78 East into New Mexico, 180 West Back into AZ). Thinking about it pretty hard, can't be any worse than the Little Colorado Canyon East of Globe. My truck is up to it, but why push it when I'm not in a huge hurry?

What about taking the 87 North out of Phoenix to Payson, and then heading overto Show Low?

Thanks!

Matt

Big Tub is right on. When I am pulling any kind of a load I go through mule creek, Glenwood route. It is more miles on the vehicle but worth it.

I'm leaning that way pretty hard. Looks pretty twisty on Google Maps 3D (new function, pretty cool). 3D runs your route on Google Earth, neat!

Twisty is okay, I've got a Hensley Hitch that absolutely locks that trailer in line like none other! Best $400 I ever spent!

Thanks,

Matt

after last night i'm sorta apprehensive about givin' anybody from tucson any advice..... you don't cross the little colorado until you pull into springerville. do you mean he salt river canyon? i make the trip a lot and since they did all the work in the salt river canyon, i go that way most of the time. from tucson tho, mule creek is a good way. but there ain't any way to go that doesn't involve a really steep climb. from the gila to the state line is really steep. from glenwood over luna mountain is really steep. from luna to alpine is really steep. if you want an adventure take the coronado trail from morenci to alpine. you're going from about 2500 feet to over 9000. there is a climb involved. but from tucson, probably take i-10 to 666 to safford to 3 way to new mex to alpine is the best way. Lark.

I always go thru Globe to Salt River Cyn. Since they have rebuilt it with 2 lanes in some places it not to bad as long as you have enough power.

If your vehicle is weak then go up I10 to the 202 and then the 101 then go by Bass pro shops to the 87 to Payson then across to Springerville. A little less steep. A few more miles though.

Alot of people go thru NM. What ever you do dont go north on 666 past Safford its called the Devils highway for a good reason.

I make this trip about 12 times a year, sometimes pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel. Yesterday I pulled a utility trailer up and back, loaded both ways. The quickest way is through Mule Creek. There are a lot of tight turns, but if you pay attention to what you are doing it is not a bad route.

191 between Morenci and Alpine is one of the most beautiful routes in the state, but not the best for a trailer or for making time.

The only way to avoid some of the turns is to take I10 to Lordsburg NM, then go through Silver City and up 180 into Alpine. This is 50 miles longer than the Mule Creek route. Unless you really want to see Silver City, I don't think the extra miles are justified.

As a side not, whenever we send school buses to Alpine, Eagar, St. Johns etc. we always send them through Mule Creek. We have never had a problem with it.

i hauled a d-8 with the blade on it up the trail once. it ain't that bad. there were a few less trees along the road after we got there tho. :lol: Lark.

It depends on which side of Tucson you live. We're on the northwest side near Orange Grove and Oracle, and there is no way I would drive to Springerville via New Mexico now. Every time I've done it, it adds at least 1-1/2 hours to the trip for me, with 45 minutes spent just getting across Tucson. If I lived on the far east side, near Houghton Road, it would be tempting to drive to Springerville via Safford, Luna and Alpine, though.

The Salt River Canyon north of Globe is not a problem now that they've widened places to add passing lanes. I cross that canyon at least two dozen times a year. In fact, I crossed it twice the same day last week when I drove up to the cabin to pick up my power tools.

I have been driving to the White Mountains since the 1950s, when the road between Oracle and Winkleman was the worst part of the trip. Next time you drive along the Gila River between Winkleman and Globe, look up on the hill above you and you'll see the remnant of the narrow dirt track we used to haul our horse and camp trailers over with our underpowered 1940s and 50s vehicles. The road we now drive on used to be the Christmas Mine railroad bed.

Bill Quimby

"191 between Morenci and Alpine is one of the most beautiful routes in the state, but not the best for a trailer or for making time"

NOT THE BEST FOR A TRAILER????????????? That is a tremendous understatement!

I will ammend my comments to DO NOT GO THIS WAY WITH A TRAILER. Note that I grew up in Morenci.

If your driving a Cummins you wont feel the trailer and Salt River Canyon will be a blast!

"191 between Morenci and Alpine is one of the most beautiful routes in the state, but not the best for a trailer or for making time"

NOT THE BEST FOR A TRAILER????????????? That is a tremendous understatement!

I will ammend my comments to DO NOT GO THIS WAY WITH A TRAILER. Note that I grew up in Morenci.

there are about 502 switchbacks, i idid it a few years ago with my trailer, it is a beautiful country but not for hauling a trailer.

best way is payson to show low.

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2059/Coronado_Trail_Scenic_Byway_print_n_go_2059.pdf

If you are headed to Unit 1 I think going through Payson would be further out of your way. As soon as you enter back into AZ you are in Unit 1 and 27.

It depends on which side of Tucson you live. We're on the northwest side near Orange Grove and Oracle, and there is no way I would drive to Springerville via New Mexico now. Every time I've done it, it adds at least 1-1/2 hours to the trip for me, with 45 minutes spent just getting across Tucson. If I lived on the far east side, near Houghton Road, it would be tempting to drive to Springerville via Safford, Luna and Alpine, though.

The Salt River Canyon north of Globe is not a problem now that they've widened places to add passing lanes. I cross that canyon at least two dozen times a year. In fact, I crossed it twice the same day last week when I drove up to the cabin to pick up my power tools.

I have been driving to the White Mountains since the 1950s, when the road between Oracle and Winkleman was the worst part of the trip. Next time you drive along the Gila River between Winkleman and Globe, look up on the hill above you and you'll see the remnant of the narrow dirt track we used to haul our horse and camp trailers over with our underpowered 1940s and 50s vehicles. The road we now drive on used to be the Christmas Mine railroad bed.

Bill Quimby

Who knew I was just up the road (Oracle and Tnagerine) from a hunting legend! Thanks to all for chiming in on the best route. I ended up taking the New Mexico Mule Creek route. Only one bad climb that isn't nearly as bad as the Salt River Canyon. I didn't end up filling my tag; one more for the wall of shame/unfilled tags:(

However:

My middle boy Miles (11) filled his nicely. 1st big game species of any kind, not a Coues but nice looking 5X5 Bull Elk will have to do. 266 yard shot kneeling off a bipod with a newly acquired Tikka .270. Facing us, quartered away, he hit the seam between the shoulder and upper chest with a cavity crossing shot. The heart was 2/3s gone with no other visible damage. Ran 30 feet and tried to jump a tall split rail fence. Reared back to make the jump, and just kept going over backwards landing on his back deader than a door nail! Heck of a shot, no painc in that boy, just a steely eyed hunter! That Tikka .270 will be sitting under the tree for him Christmas morning.

Thanks again!

Matt

post-716-0-07349200-1322966262_thumb.jpg