yote sniper

shotgun shell suggestions

Got a mossberg 500 pump camo that came with a 20" barrel and a xx full accu choke ported choke .670 " constriction I know I need to pattern it but i'm looking for all you yote and bobcat shot gunners out there to help me out on what shot size to start with and differnt chokes to try and factory ammo

i know it's a short barrel but it handles really quick and its lightweight for packing around. Im tired of to many close calls thanks?

Start out with standard #4 buck, #00 buck, and the expensive but lethal Dead Coyote T-shot. I shot both a bobcat and a coyote in the past few months using #00 buck, and I've patterned it out of my gun and I like the results out to 60+ yards. #4 buck just reduces my range by 20 yards. I didn't find that the fur damage was a problem...

20yards with 4 buck??? You can kill coyotes with 7 1/2's at 20 yards! I wouldn't go larger then 4buck, especially for light furred AZ predators. I've killed coyotes with Hevishot and lead BB's at 50-60 yards. In my opinion 00buck is far to unreliable with only 15 pellets. Unless your gun patterns extremely well with it, I would stay away from it. A hevishot or lead BB will penetrate to the opposite ribs of any predator under 60 yards, I actually shot a deer with 6's at 50 yards and folded it once (another state another time ;)

I know that #00 is more than adequate. I shoot 9 pellet outta my full choke and have it patterned out to 60yds plus some. My choke only throws #4 reliably out to 45yards give or take... that's why I said #4 reduces my range BY 20 yards not TO 20 yards. I know that you can kill 'em with game loads up real close, but what does the skin look like after??? I just put a few #00 pellets in the dome and call it a day. I don't take running shots, I aim like I'm turkey hunting. That goes hand-in-hand with getting them in close so I can put a good well-aimed shot on them. I don't own a varmint rifle, otherwise I'd use that- I only use a shotgun. I see what your sayin' yotebuster, my post might have led the OP astray... I just told him what I use and what works best for me. I need to find a choke that works better with #4 so that I don't get a 20" pattern at 50 yards. And Hevi-Shot is just too much $$$ for me. I can kill just fine without that High-tech tungsten nickel matrix gobbley gook.

I reload my own shells and have been for over twenty years and I use just #4 copperplated shot in 2 3/4". Works excellent. Knocked down many a coyote out to 70 yards.

Brian

Copper plated #4 buck does work well, but can be hard to find at times.

If im going for coyotes mainly, #4 buck it is. If im going for fox/cats BB (all 3 inch loads) gets the go ahead.

I know that #00 is more than adequate. I shoot 9 pellet outta my full choke and have it patterned out to 60yds plus some. My choke only throws #4 reliably out to 45yards give or take... that's why I said #4 reduces my range BY 20 yards not TO 20 yards. I know that you can kill 'em with game loads up real close, but what does the skin look like after??? I just put a few #00 pellets in the dome and call it a day. I don't take running shots, I aim like I'm turkey hunting. That goes hand-in-hand with getting them in close so I can put a good well-aimed shot on them. I don't own a varmint rifle, otherwise I'd use that- I only use a shotgun. I see what your sayin' yotebuster, my post might have led the OP astray... I just told him what I use and what works best for me. I need to find a choke that works better with #4 so that I don't get a 20" pattern at 50 yards. And Hevi-Shot is just too much $$$ for me. I can kill just fine without that High-tech tungsten nickel matrix gobbley gook.

I missread your post, thought you were saying you could only shoot one with 4B out to 20 yards!

Got 5 dogs in one morning using #4 steel. Dusting predators with shotguns is more about pattern density. I don't recommend #4 steel but it will work. I'm a big fan of copper plated BB's, pattern density is good. #4 buck shot is superior to 00 in my opinion due to the pattern density issue.

On another note, I've become a big fan of Federal's flight control wad. I've used it primarily for turkey hunting using #5 or 6 lead shot and have flattened birds at surpisingly long distances. Due to the success I had with #4 steel (not Federal FC wad) on the wonderful morning previously mentioned, I picked up some Federal Prairie Storm BBB's that do have the FC wad. Less than $20 per box of 25, I hope to try them on yotes soon.

i've killed em with 8 shot and a 20 guage. but i wasn't calling. when i call and use a shotgun i just use 00. it always works and anymore i don't care what kinda hole they make. i would think anything 4 shot or bigger oughta work ok. depends on the range. only time i use a shotgun a lot is on a windy day in a brushy place. i have a remington 1100 special field. 21 1/2 inch full choke barrel with a 2 3/4 chamber. killed a lotta quail and coyotes with it. Lark.

Get rid of the full choke if you are shooting anything larger than BB :huh: - Chokes cause flat spots on the larger shot causing flyers and reduced pattern density.... Balistic fact! Chokes are designed for bird hunting to increase pattern density when using the smaller sized bird shot - # 4 buck shot is a good all around shot size for predators!

Now that it is legal to shoot Mt Lions with buck shot I would not bother with the bird shot and stick with #4 Buck shot! Understand that #4 bird shot is not the same as #4 Buck shot!!!!!! ;)

• Like 1

I have used #1 buck with a modified or full choke for many years. I agree chokes do matter but I have never had a coyote question the choke. They drop like a sack of potatoes.

gearsnagger- When did the buckshot/mt lion rule change??? Can you hang the link on here?

Whoever it was that said the Prarie Storm Flight Control wad tips- I LOVE that shell for pheasant... where did you find those in BBB size???

gearsnagger- When did the buckshot/mt lion rule change??? Can you hang the link on here?

Whoever it was that said the Prarie Storm Flight Control wad tips- I LOVE that shell for pheasant... where did you find those in BBB size???

On December 2, 2011, the Commission adopted changes to Lawful Methods of Take (R12-4-304) that allows for the take of mountain lions and coyote with the aid of an artificial light. Within that rule, additional changes were adopted to allow the use of shotgun shooting shot to take mountain lions, and allow pneumatic weapons to take quail and Eurasian Collared dove. These changes were posted with the Secretary of State’s office on Friday, and they became effective immediately.

Later that same day, the Commission also approved amendments to Commission Orders 10 and 13 to implement hunts that would allow the use of artificial light. Essentially, the Commission approved multiple bag units for mountain lion in Units 6AS, 13BS, 15BW, 15C, 15D, 16AS, 18BS, 22S, 31, 32, 37B, 40A, 42S, and 44AE with daylong (midnight to midnight) shooting hours for a general season. That season is valid through June 30, 2012. These are designed to benefit bighorn sheep.

For coyotes, daylong seasons were adopted in specific units during March, April, and May 2012 for shotgun shooting shot seasons. Those Units include 2A, 4A, 10, 13A, 17A, 17B, 31, 32, 34B, 35A, 35B, and 36B.

• Like 1

I have used #1 buck with a modified or full choke for many years. I agree chokes do matter but I have never had a coyote question the choke. They drop like a sack of potatoes.

Try patterning it @ 40 yards with a cylinder choke and then compare it to that full choke.... You will notice a big difference! :D I would rather have a dense pattern it increases the effective kill range.. ;) I do shoot at running coyotes (that's why I use a shotgun) and have killed many runners out past 50 yards with #4 buck if I was only going to take standing shots like a turkey hunter I would use a rifle. I work too hard and spend many hours calling to limit my shooting to critters standing still & flat footed within shotgun range or to loose one because I havn't bothered to pattern my shotgun and swap out the chokes to accommodate the shot I am using! :D

• Like 1